Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Bn The Sherwood Foresters War history 1914-1918

tcm878

Anyone with an interest in the 5th Battalion Sherwood Foresters I have a copy of the book written in 1930 by L. W de Grave. It has a roll of honour together with a medal index from VC down to mentioned in despatches.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for Pte Alfred Colledge 51844 - i don't know what battalion he served in.

Long shot?, or could you suggest alternative line of enquiry?

Thanks

Chris

I'm looking for Pte Alfred Colledge 51844 - i don't know what battalion he served in.

Thanks

Chris

Chris

I will have a look and get back to you ASAP.

Neil

Chris - it won't be the 5th (or 6th. 7th or 8th) Battalion with that number I'm afraid. The number is not 'territorial'. Territorial numbers are either 4 or 6 digits long.

Neil - a book I've been after for ages. I may be in touch!

Thanks

Chris

Sorry Chris,

No luck in this book, have you tried the regimental museum? The Foresters have a great archive at Chilwell in Nottingham.

All the best with your research

Neil

Neil,

any mention of a J Askew? Think he was Sherwood forresters but not sure as can't find the photo!

Thnks Mandy

Chris - it won't be the 5th (or 6th. 7th or 8th) Battalion with that number I'm afraid. The number is not 'territorial'. Territorial numbers are either 4 or 6 digits long.

Neil - a book I've been after for ages. I may be in touch!

Just to add to Andrew's comment here (I know its a bit off topic) but Alfred Colledge doesn't appear to be listed in the medal roles at the NA - might mean he never served overseas?

Mandy

would that be

3024/240854 Pte Joseph Askew; Arrived in F & F 18.8.15; k/a 11.3.18 (with 6th Battn)

or

5067 Pte J Askew (not 6th Battn) but later MGC/R Scotts ?

or

perhaps neither (sorry can't add anymore)

Mike,

I don't know either, he died in the early 20's but can't remember when.

it was a long shot i know, i must get the photo again and then i can post it for confirmation of the regiment, he was in the blues of a wounded man with only his cap for identification.

thanks,

Mandy

Mike,

I don't know either, he died in the early 20's but can't remember when.

it was a long shot i know, i must get the photo again and then i can post it for confirmation of the regiment, he was in the blues of a wounded man with only his cap for identification.

thanks,

Mandy

Mandy,

No luck as of yet with the name Askew but I'll keep looking, have you tried the computer record at Nottingham Castle?

Neil,

is that online? if so what is the link?

Mandy

Sorry Mandy,

It's a system that is installed in the museum and Nottingham Castle. You can look up the names by using the interactive menu. I tried it on my Grandfathers details and behold it came up with his service number etc as well as a photograph of him in battledress.

I don't know if the WFR museum at Chilwell will have access to the same system

Neil

Hi Andrew,

I checked the book with no luck, then I saw you had already found him! I think the Jacksdale web site is spot on and I may ask them if they will list our fallen when the full list has been compiled. I'm upto 8 at the moment with only 3 on the memorial.

Neil

• 1 month later...

Hi Neil,

Could you check to see if there's any mention of Capt. Percy Pool Harrison of the 5th battalion, Sherwood Foresters?

Born Derby 1894, Regimental Number 4747, commissioned on 14/10/15, served in 4 and 5 Companies. Previously with the Inns of Court OTC.

He died of wounds in France on 20/10/17.

Thanks,

Mary

Anyone with an interest in the 5th Battalion Sherwood Foresters I have a copy of the book written in 1930 by L. W de Grave. It has a roll of honour together with a medal index from VC down to mentioned in despatches.

Not sure if it helps but men with numbers 51831 and 51879 were both in 16th Bn before moving to the 9th.

Steve

• 2 years later...

Sorry Guys,

I have had problems in the technical department regarding this forum, I thought I had set up the notification response but it looks like the filter on my account decided that you were spam.

If you still want me to check in the book, I will do it ASAP

Neil