Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BASRA MEMORIAL

tommie

The memorial will not be restored.

CWGC has declared that it is no longer a fitting memorial to commemorate those inscribed there. The Commission will decide, at some future date, how best to commemorate these men. Temporarily, they are keeping a special register of the names available to view at Maidenhead.

They will wait some time before making a decision hoping that the in-country situation stabilises. This waiting period could be very long. They would hope to build a new memorial within the country itself.

Presumably, this decision was taken on the grounds that repair would cost more than new build and not be as satisfactory.

There are precedents when memorials to the missing have been replaced by CWGC with new ones due to political and war situations within a particular country.

Thank you Terry for providing that information about the Basra Memorial. I have a special interest in this monument because many local men from Ashford are commemorated on it (mainly 5th Buffs men).

Has anyone any photos of The Buffs panel??????

Thanks is also due to Tom for posting these excellent photos. Glad you made in home in one piece! Tell yer mates still over there that wer'e thinking of them all...

:D

Neil

Hopefully, a new memorial can be built in Iraq one day but who knows.... Another possibility is that a memorial could be built in the safer surroundings of Brookwood (only a supposition on my part).

The Aden Memorial had to be abandoned in the 1960s when independence and subsequent security problems descended on that country and a new one was built in Egypt. However, that was a much smaller structure.

CWGC is quite prepared to wait considerable time for local problems to stabilise as is evidenced by their long wait for the cemeteries in Lebanon to be restored - or those in former East Germany. Also, they have only just been able to erect the Baku Memorial in Azerbaijan commemorating those missing from the WW1 Caucasus operations. They are still patiently waiting to erect a new WW2 memorial in Sudan to commemorate local troops who died there.

Patience is definately a virtue when your given timescale is 'in perpetuity' !

• 2 years later...
The Great War I was There Part 30
post-13002-1215194810.jpg

How the Memorial used to Look.

Tom

Does anyone have a photo of the 14th Hussars' panel by any chance

I would love it in High Res if possible: to

hussars[symbol for at]which.net

Many thanks

THE BASRA MEMORIAL

The Basra Memorial bears the names of more than 40,500 members of the Commonwealth forces who died in the operations in Mesopotamia from the autumn of 1914 to the end of August 1921 and whose graves are not known.

Until 1997 the Basra Memorial was located on the main quay of the naval dockyard at Maqil, on the west bank of the Shatt-al-Arab, about 8 kilometres north of Basra. Because of the sensitivity of the site, the Memorial was moved by presidential decree. The move, carried out by the authorities in Iraq, involved a considerable amount of manpower, transport costs and sheer engineering on their part, and the Memorial has been re-erected in its entirety. The Basra Memorial is now located 32 kilometres along the road to Nasiriyah, in the middle of what was a major battleground during the first Gulf War.

CWGC Basra Memorial

post-13002-1151352551.jpg

Whilst in Iraq this Easter, I had the privilege to visit the Basra War Memorial, I was lucky enough to take some photos, the only panels that I was able to picture were: The Wiltshire Regiment, Manchester Regiment Officers, Royal West Kent's, Kings Shropshire Light Infantry, Middlesex Regt, Kings Royal Rifle Corps, Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry Junior Ranks, as time was tight.

I will happily Post any of the photos.

Tom

Tom,

I was delighted to see your post as I did not expect to get any views of the Basra Memorial. I have a Royal Field Artillery man commemorated at Basra. Could you send me a copy of the general view of the memorial (column and panels)? If you could e-mail me on chris.anne1@ukonline.co.uk I will let you have my address.

Many thanks and welcome back!

Regards,

Chris.

• 1 year later...
Tom,

I was delighted to see your post as I did not expect to get any views of the Basra Memorial. I have a Royal Field Artillery man commemorated at Basra. Could you send me a copy of the general view of the memorial (column and panels)? If you could e-mail me on chris.anne1@ukonline.co.uk I will let you have my address.

Many thanks and welcome back!

Regards,

Chris.

Chris a few photos I took this month (sep 2009) of the approach to the Basrah memorial.

Paul

post-49789-1254081615.jpg

Chris,

Not very exciting I would agree but the photos do show the area is generally clean and the memorial is not totally falling down.

Paul

PS I have got a picture of the field Artillery panel but two of my mates are stood in front of it so not all the complete panel can be seen. If you want a copy let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

While the wife's away just wasting time looking at the Forum as she'd see it. Amazed to find E T Harding of the Ox and Bucks, as will his great-nephew who I've just sent a copy of the panel to. Also Harry Wells (erroneously recorded by the CWGC as Wills) both from my home village. Many thanks.

• 1 year later...

Well done that man.

That is one place I will not be visting. unless I have my favorite friend the Gimpy (GPMG) and some back up. It is great to get these images or any images from the out of the way tourist destinations. Thanks again, and stay low

MH