Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BASRA MEMORIAL

tommie

THE BASRA MEMORIAL

The Basra Memorial bears the names of more than 40,500 members of the Commonwealth forces who died in the operations in Mesopotamia from the autumn of 1914 to the end of August 1921 and whose graves are not known.

Until 1997 the Basra Memorial was located on the main quay of the naval dockyard at Maqil, on the west bank of the Shatt-al-Arab, about 8 kilometres north of Basra. Because of the sensitivity of the site, the Memorial was moved by presidential decree. The move, carried out by the authorities in Iraq, involved a considerable amount of manpower, transport costs and sheer engineering on their part, and the Memorial has been re-erected in its entirety. The Basra Memorial is now located 32 kilometres along the road to Nasiriyah, in the middle of what was a major battleground during the first Gulf War.

CWGC Basra Memorial

post-13002-1151352551.jpg

Whilst in Iraq this Easter, I had the privilege to visit the Basra War Memorial, I was lucky enough to take some photos, the only panels that I was able to picture were: The Wiltshire Regiment, Manchester Regiment Officers, Royal West Kent’s, Kings Shropshire Light Infantry, Middlesex Regt, Kings Royal Rifle Corps, Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry Junior Ranks, as time was tight.

I will happily Post any of the photos.

Tom

Tom,

Post away, it's nice to see a memorial so rarely seen.

Tom,

Post away, it's nice to see a memorial so rarely seen.

You will have to bare with me, i am not the best at making photos fit the size needed.

post-13002-1151354870.jpg

More to follow

Tom

More to follow

Tom

Can anyone tell me please if there is a limit to the number of photos you can put into your post.

Thanks Tom

Tom

post #5 is Wiltshires isn't it?

If so have you a photo of the complete panel,please?

Im affraid i only have the panel with Privates Charles C East through to Thomas David Yeo, in two photos.

My Serg may have the previous Wiltshire panel, i will try and contact him.

If you mail me your email address i will send the two photos i have of the panel.

Sorry i dont have all the Wilts.

tom

Guest Bill Woerlee

Mates

Just giving Tom a hand to get his great pix online. The pix are self explanatory.

Pic 1 of 5

post-7100-1151365086.jpg

Thanks Tom

Cheers

Bill

Bill

did any one manage to get a photo of the Norfolk Regt panel - a bit sad to see these photos as my nan would have been very upset to see what had happened to her brothers memorial. Thanks for posting these pics as this the closest most of us will be for the foreseeable future

All The Best

Chris

Im affraid i only have the panel with Privates Charles C East through to Thomas David Yeo, in two photos.

My Serg may have the previous Wiltshire panel, i will try and contact him.

If you mail me your email address i will send the two photos i have of the panel.

Sorry i dont have all the Wilts.

tom

My mistake i did get all the Wiltshire Regiment.

Tom

Tom,

Will you be going back to take more photos? If so, could you please take one of the Royal North Lancs panel showing the name of Benjamin Grundy (he was killed when the Turks opened fire on the boat he was in was crossing the Shatt-al-Arab river. He was aged 21 and his body was never recovered).

Thanks,

Ivor

BTW, great photos, thanks.

Tom,

Will you be going back to take more photos? If so, could you please take one of the Royal North Lancs panel showing the name of Benjamin Grundy (he was killed when the Turks opened fire on the boat he was in was crossing the Shatt-al-Arab river. He was aged 21 and his body was never recovered).

Thanks,

Ivor

BTW, great photos, thanks.

Hi Ivor,

I am affraid six months in Iraq was long enough for me.

However I will email some buddies and find out if any other lads will be going back to the memorial, but i would not hold my breath.

In the mean time i will email the chaps that were on that patrol with me and find out if any of them got any photos.

Sorry

Tom

Well done Tom.

Roxy

(It's not often someone from Broxburn compliments someone from Armadale - ;) )

Hi Ivor,

I am affraid six months in Iraq was long enough for me.

However I will email some buddies and find out if any other lads will be going back to the memorial, but i would not hold my breath.

In the mean time i will email the chaps that were on that patrol with me and find out if any of them got any photos.

Sorry

Tom

Tom,

I thought it might be a long shot but thanks anyway.

All the best,

Ivor

Tom Thanks again for photos.

Glad you made it home in one piece.

Good luck to your Mates still over there.

Tell 'em we're thinking of 'em.

O

Guest Bill Woerlee

Chris

G'day mate

Bill

did any one manage to get a photo of the Norfolk Regt panel - a bit sad to see these photos as my nan would have been very upset to see what had happened to her brothers memorial. Thanks for posting these pics as this the closest most of us will be for the foreseeable future

I agree with your sentiments mate.

In the matter of the pix, my only role has been to help Tom rather than to steal his thunder. Tom is the brave man who did the tour, took the pix and has been generous enough to share them. He is the only one eligible for kudos.

Just on the note of tours, last month, my SIL was sent at short notice to Timor, along with a further 1,800 mates, to stabilise the country. The deployment of one man overseas has an impact not only on that person but on the families as well - we all do the tour. I understand Tom's sentiments expressed on this site. There will be few families who will disagree with him.

Cheers

Bill

Having been in the army for 11 years I totally agree with your comments. Thank Tom for his efforts & the very best of luck

chris

Tom

post-11785-1151570615.jpg

even though I was too late to get a photograph of the panel I wanted your efforts are honourable.

Lets pray that the memorial stays safe and the day comes when the memorial can be restored.

Bright Blessings

Sandra