Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Terry_Reeves

Terry

I found another one of these Casualty Lists on a FMP search but it is too faint to post. I cannot read the List number but it is dated 30/06/1916.

Admitted to poss 3 Can:

128846 Pte Otten G                      5 Bn Spec Bde Mort Bty    Cause Broncho           MICs/SMARs George H Otten

128771 Spr Rogerson S               4 Bn Spec Bde                                                                             Samuel Rogerson

Admitted 6 GH Rouen

129731 Pnr Drummond A             G Co Spec Bde 2 Bde                   Poisoning                               Alexander Drummond

129408 Pte Fogarty T                               do                                            do                                     Thomas Fogarty

106406 Cpl Rawling S O                          do                                            do                                      Sidney O Rawling

129209 Pnr Ewing A                                 do                                            do                                      Anthony W Ewing

113401 Cpl Hirst L                                    do                                            do                                      Leonard Hirst

154804 Pte Fraser G K                            do                                             do                                      George K Fraser

106041 Cpl James F                      2 Bn Spec                                     Elbow                                     Frank James

Brian

On 26/09/2016 at 14:10, Skipman said:

Hi Terry. Not sure if it's any use to you, but, there's a reference to Special Coy RE in the 3rd GHQ Ammunition Park War Diary on August 1st 1917. My transcription below (for what it's worth)

1/8/1917 Wednesday  Malo-Les-Bains Weather Unit commanded by Maj A G C de Smidt Total strength 326 all ranks consisting of 6 officers, 255 OR ASC, 1 officer and 64 OR RA and 1 OR RAMC. 14 lorries, 32 NCO's and men on command to Ribys? Supply Column since 25/7/1917 11 lorries, 1 cycle, 33 NCO's and men on command to CRE 1st Division since 16/7/1917, 5 lorries, 11 NCO's and men  on command to officer 1/? Special Coy RE since 10/7/1917. Big successful attack by British in conjunction with the French. Advance of over 1? 1/2 miles beyond Ypres and 3500 prisoners taken. Weather Rain cold. The following units are attached for maintenance 4th F? S C, No 6 RTC?, No 6 RCE, Intelligence I (a) & (b), 1st Siege Coy RARE? 1 side-car combination TOS of the Coy 31/7/1917 (No 3 GHQ Ammunition Park War Diary)

2jie8o.jpg

Mike

Mike

Sorry, just caught up with his. Many thanks.

TR

10 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Terry

I found another one of these Casualty Lists on a FMP search but it is too faint to post. I cannot read the List number but it is dated 30/06/1916.

Admitted to poss 3 Can:

128846 Pte Otten G                      5 Bn Spec Bde Mort Bty    Cause Broncho           MICs/SMARs George H Otten

128771 Spr Rogerson S               4 Bn Spec Bde                                                                             Samuel Rogerson

Admitted 6 GH Rouen

129731 Pnr Drummond A             G Co Spec Bde 2 Bde                   Poisoning                               Alexander Drummond

129408 Pte Fogarty T                               do                                            do                                     Thomas Fogarty

106406 Cpl Rawling S O                          do                                            do                                      Sidney O Rawling

129209 Pnr Ewing A                                 do                                            do                                      Anthony W Ewing

113401 Cpl Hirst L                                    do                                            do                                      Leonard Hirst

154804 Pte Fraser G K                            do                                             do                                      George K Fraser

106041 Cpl James F                      2 Bn Spec                                     Elbow                                     Frank James

Brian

Brian

Many thanks.

TR

Morning Terry. There are a couple of other mentions in the same diary. Is this kind of information of interest to you, if it is, then can keep a note of any other finds, if not then that's no problem.

1/9/1917 Saturday Malo-Les-Bains Weather Fair and cool. Unit commanded by Maj A G C de Smidt. Total strength 316 all ranks consisting of 5 officers, 243 OR, ASC, 1 officer 66 OR RFA, 1 OR RAMC.  4 lorries on command to Special Coy RE at Ghyvelde.

9/9/1917 Sunday Malo-Les-Bains Weather Fine. 4 lorries on command to Special Coy RE Ghyvelde Return to this unit.

Mike

Terry

A bit more info on the above. Drummond, Fogarty, Rawling, Fraser and James are named in the Times OCL 17/07/1916 under RE wounded. This is quite a large list with 103 RE w and 3 shell shock in the first list and 13 RE w and 1 shell shock in the second list. Over 30 of the names have numbers starting 128 or 129. I will be checking the numbers on FMP for more casualty lists tomorrow and next Tuesday. Any complete ones I find will be posted on Casualty Lists in Other and any incomplete ones on RE Sick and Wounded 1916 in Soldiers. I will show details here of any on lists too faint to post.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Terry, I don't know if this will be of any interest, or whether you may have more information.  I am researching Samuel George Snape - enlisted cMarch 1914 at Newport, Shropshire, assigned to  number 3 Special Battalion, Royal Engineers.  

He was moved on before being KIA in 1918, but was still with them at the end of 1916, when he took part in a court of enquiry after a Pioneer Wilson died in his hut on 26th December 1916.  The court of enquiry took place at L Company Headquarters. [I haven't identified where that was at that time, as yet]

Hadenmaiden

Thanks for that.  I can't help specifically but you may find the following war diaries useful:

3 Battalion Special Brigade, WO95/121/4  5 and 6.  These have not been digitised yes, so it will mean a trip to TNA

L Special Company WO95 334/3 and 4.  These are available as a download from TNA for a small fee.

Incidentally, his RE number was issued at the RE Horse Transport Establishment at Aldershot which carried out equine training.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Terry,

Four Special Brigade men were buried together on the afternoon of the 27th June, 1916 at Beauval Communal Cemetery.  Any clues to what happened to them, or pointers as where to look, would be much appreciated.  This is the information I have found re: memorials for the two highlighted men:

DUCKETT, JAMES

Rank:Pioneer Service No:128027Date of Death:26/06/1916 Age:18 Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers 1st Bn. Special Bde. Grave Reference: B. 14. Cemetery: BEAUVAL COMMUNAL CEMETERY Additional Information: Son of George and Ann Duckett. Native of Ardwick, Manchester.

WELTON, WALTER NORMAN

Rank: Pioneer Service No:128805 Date of Death:26/06/1916 Age:31Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers 1st Bn. Special Bde. Grave Reference: B. 15. Cemetery: BEAUVAL COMMUNAL CEMETERY Additional Information:Son of George and Elizabeth Welton, of Norwich; husband of Alice Martha Welton, of 8, Demesne Rd., Wallington, Surrey.

BROWN, RICHARD

Rank: Pioneer Service No:129097 Date of Death:26/06/1916 Age:18 Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers 1st Bn. Special Bde. Grave Reference: B. 16. Cemetery: BEAUVAL COMMUNAL CEMETERY Additional Information: Son of Walter Skilton Brown and Amy Brown, of 12, Tabor Grove, Wimbledon, London.

MORREY, WILLIAM

Rank: Pioneer Service No:130519 Date of Death:27/06/1916 Age:21Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers 1st Bn. Special Bde. Grave Reference: B. 17. Cemetery: BEAUVAL COMMUNAL CEMETERY Additional Information: Son of William and Lydia Morrey, of Widnes.

This thread from 2007 give details about 130519 MORREY who was in 21st section ( “D” Coy. ?).

All four men died from the effects of being gassed at no. 4 CCS.  (

I would like to add some information about 129097 Richard Brown from Wimbledon and 128805 Walter Welton who worked and lived in Beddington/Wallington just prior to the Great War.

129096 Richard Brown is one of two brothers whose names appear in the “Warrior Chapel” at St.Mary’s Wimbledon Parish Church ( IWM Memorial Register ref: 12203)

Brown, Richard
First World War (1914-1918)
Army (British)
Pioneer
Royal Engineers
Date:1916-06-26

Brown, Thomas Skilton
First World War (1914-1918)
Army (British)
Private
Date:1916-07-10

Both their names also appear in 1921 publication:

A RECORD OF THE HONOURED MEN OF WIMBLEDON AND MERTON (Author)
Mitchell Hughes and Clarke (Publisher)

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1500040823

Both men are also named in the Official Roll of Sacrifice for Wimbledon, Merton and Morden 1914-1918, an image can be seen here:
http://cis.photoarchive.merton.gov.uk/archive/roll-of-honour/roll-of-sacrifice/628080#prettyPhoto/0/

128805 Walter Norman Welton, originally from Attleborough Norfolk, was living and working in Wallington before he volunteered for the “Queens” at Croydon.  He was a certified teacher of practical skills at Bandon Hill Manual Training Centre, South Beddington from 1913 onwards.  Walter Norman Welton’s name appears on two memorials in Norfolk and a school memorial in Wallington. See here for images:  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=56145028

In addition, his name appears on the “Bedding & Wallington” War memorial, which is close to were his widow lived for at least two decades after the War.  An image can be see online here:

https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/111198?search=search_map%3Fsearch_value%3Dwallington%26memorial_name%3D

I found no service records for any of these men, and think both BROWN & WELTON both volunteered under the Derby Group Scheme late in 1915.

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

There were nine  operations on the 26th June, which was apart part of the softening up process for the 1st July.  I think the casualties were caused during the release of gas just north of Beaumont Hamel against 121 Reserve Infantry Regiment at 0230 hours.   D Company was certainly in the area at that time , having already launched an attack on the 24th.

It is possible  that they were casualties of retaliatory artillery fire, which was a common response to the release of gas. It may be that gas cylinders were hit and split.

1st Battalion's war diary is not digitised yet, but I will have a look at it on my next visit to TNA.  Just out of interest there  were some 16 men who died of woulds that day, most from 1st battalion, but some from 2nd and 3rd battalions also.

TR

1 hour ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

There were nine  operations on the 26th June, which was apart part of the softening up process for the 1st July.  I think the casualties were caused during the release of gas just north of Beaumont Hamel against 121 Reserve Infantry Regiment at 0230 hours.   D Company was certainly in the area at that time , having already launched an attack on the 24th.

It is possible  that they were casualties of retaliatory artillery fire, which was a common response to the release of gas. It may be that gas cylinders were hit and split.

1st Battalion's war diary is not digitised yet, but I will have a look at it on my next visit to TNA.  Just out of interest there  were some 16 men who died of woulds that day, most from 1st battalion, but some from 2nd and 3rd battalions also.

TR

Terry,

Thanks for the feedback.  I've a couple more RE names to add when I've done a bit more  searching.

P.S.   A photo of Richard Brown's memorial at St.Mary's Wimbledon has been posted here: 

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/558126

Maybe this 4th DIvision report from V/W night (25/26th June) refers to those four casualties.  Does it  imply "gassing" of own men was just an accepted hazard of the ops ?

V-W_night_4thDiV-REP_small.png

Edited by Chris_B

Terry,

Re: the four casualties buried on 27th June 1916 at Beauval.  Thanks to your direction I have found a 10th Brigade (4th div) Report dated 25/6/16 that describes the "U" night operations of 24/6/16 your mentioned which took place to the north of Beaumont Hamel opposite the 121R positions.. It states :

"DRESDEN discharged from your trenches by Lieut. Jones and Special Brigade at 10.7pm ....  At about 10.30pm on of the cylinders leaked, owing to have been hit by a piece of shell ....  The Special Brigade under Lieut. Jones were badly gassed and all worked well as long as they could .."

Does id the unit as 1st  bn "D" coy?

I assume DRESDEN was an operational code word and that I read elsewhere the gas released was "White Star".  So the four casualties perhaps died after suffering the delayed effects of exposure to phosgene.   A grim ending.

Terry

This would explain why the RE wounded in the Times OCLs starting 17/07/1916 contain a large proportion of men with numbers starting 128xxx, 129xxx and 130xxx. I am up to 25/07/1916  at the moment and they are still showing, if you need any wounded looking up please let me know.

Brian

7 hours ago, Chris_B said:

Terry,

Re: the four casualties buried on 27th June 1916 at Beauval.  Thanks to your direction I have found a 10th Brigade (4th div) Report dated 25/6/16 that describes the "U" night operations of 24/6/16 your mentioned which took place to the north of Beaumont Hamel opposite the 121R positions.. It states :

"DRESDEN discharged from your trenches by Lieut. Jones and Special Brigade at 10.7pm ....  At about 10.30pm on of the cylinders leaked, owing to have been hit by a piece of shell ....  The Special Brigade under Lieut. Jones were badly gassed and all worked well as long as they could .."

Does id the unit as 1st  bn "D" coy?

I assume DRESDEN was an operational code word and that I read elsewhere the gas released was "White Star".  So the four casualties perhaps died after suffering the delayed effects of exposure to phosgene.   A grim ending.

Chris

Yes it was D Company.  The other sections involved in the operation all cancelled their discharges because the wind was dead calm, but Lt Jones was authorised to release his gas.

Just out of interest,  White Star was  50% Phosgene and 50% Chlorine. Phosgene had a low vapour pressure and needed a propellant to get it going, that being chlorine.

Phosgene could have a delayed action effect the symptoms often not being apparent  for between 24 and 48 hours.  Any sort of exertion would cause the victim to collapse.

TR

4 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Terry

This would explain why the RE wounded in the Times OCLs starting 17/07/1916 contain a large proportion of men with numbers starting 128xxx, 129xxx and 130xxx. I am up to 25/07/1916  at the moment and they are still showing, if you need any wounded looking up please let me know.

Brian

Thanks Brian.  The numbers you quote were mainly issued to infantry transfers, starting in early February 1916.  By the time of the operations mentioned in Chris's post, the SB were still 500 men short of establishment.

TR

Terry,

Thanks for confirming it was "D" coy with  Lt. Jones on 24th June. Not had a chance to look through the battalion WDs for the 10th Brigade to see if there any other mentions.  Is there a particular reason why the NA have been slow to digitise some of the Special Brigade docs they have? 

Chris

I think it is because the of the structure of the organisation. The original units, 186-189 companies, have no war diaries.  The first diaries appear in February 1916 when the Special Companies were expanded into a brigade sized formation as battalion formations. The battalion war diaries included brief company information.  These battalion diaries were  held in the Porton Down archives and on transfer to the TNA were  catalogued  as part of the Porton Down records in the WO 142 series rather in the WO 95 series.  In February  1917 there was a further administrative  change for the SB  when the battalion HQ's were re-designated as HQ Special Companies First Army , Second Army etc. These former battalion HQs then had more of a liaison function with the individual companies taking control of their own overall administration which included  more comprehensive war diaries.  

I think therefore, that because the 1916 diaries are numbered WO142 and not WO 195, they have been left behind as far as digitisation is concerned.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Terry,

Many thanks for your detailed reply to my q about NA docs.  I wonder if there is any way to petition the NA to get these docs digitised sooner than later.  I've almost finished gathering data on several other SB men, which hopefully will be of interest to you. 

Terry,

Another contribution. I’d like to add information about two further SB men from the Wimbledon area that I’ve highlighted below.   As before, any clues to what happened to them, or pointers as where to look, would be much appreciated. 

On 20th/21st June 1916 two SB men from 2nd Bn. Special Brigade died at no. 5 CCS and were buried soon after CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION. 

Edward George Davies

Rank: Pioneer Service No:130348 Date of Death:21/06/1916 Age:24 Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers 2nd Bn. Special Bde. Grave Reference: Plot 1. Row B. Grave 3. Cemetery: CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION Additional Information: Son of Edward and Emily Davies, of Chester Road, Tushingham, nr. Whitchurch, Salop.

(Both CWGC and SDGW say “Died of Wounds”, Soldiers’ Effects says “Wounds no.5 CCS”)

PERCEY ELMER AXTEN
Service No: 113209
Date of Death: 20/06/1916
Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers 2nd Bn. Special Bde. 
Grave Reference: Plot 1. Row B. Grave 2. Cemetery: CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION Additional Information: Son of Arthur Dawson Axten and Elizabeth Axten, of 26, Trewince Road, West Wimbledon, London. Undergraduate London University. Winner of Junior and Senior Surrey County Scholarships.

(SDGW says “Died of wounds”, CWGC docs say “Killed in Action”,  Soldiers’ Effects just says “No.5 CCS”) 

There are no surviving service papers for Percey Axten, but he appears in the “Surrey Recruitment Registers” under the name ATTEN, a probable transcription error.  

SRR
=======
First name(s)     P E
Last name     Atten <-- transcription error ?
Service number     -
Age     19 Years 2 Months
Birth year     1896
Birth place     Earlsfield
Occupation     Chemist
Attestation year     1915
Attestation date     17 August 1915
Attestation place     Wimbledon
Unit or regiment     Royal Engineers
Regiment     Royal Engineers
Height     5ft 10in.
Weight in pounds     156
Chest expansion inches     3
Chest size inches     37
Distinctive marks     Moles +
Remarks     26 Trewance Rd
Notes     Volunteers. This recruitment register has E and D of war [Duration of War] written on the spine. Recruits are numbered from 1st August 1915
Country     England
Reference     2496 / 4
Series     Volunteers, 27th June 1915 - 11th October 1915
Page number     104
Record set     Surrey Recruitment Registers 1908-1933

At the time young Percey Axten volunteered on 17th August 1915 he was an undergraduate at London University and he is listed in the London University “WAR LIST” published in 1918 and available here: http://www.ulrls.lon.ac.uk/resources/WARLISToptimised-OCR.pdf

He had previously attended Rutlish School on a Surrey County Council Scholarship from 16th September 1909 to 27th July 1914. He is commemorated on the Rutlish School Memorial. (IWM ref: 12467 http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/12467)

This memorial was originally in the school gymnasium as can be seen here:
http://photoarchive.merton.gov.uk/view/35615#prettyPhoto  and
http://photoarchive.merton.gov.uk/view/35621

The memorial was moved to the new school site in Watery Lane in the 1970s, and is now here:
d124.jpg

113209 Cpl. Percey Axten is also commemorated at the same church as 129097 Pnr. Richard Brown, St.Mary’s Wimbledon in the “Warrior Chapel”.  See here: 
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/110913

His name also appears in the two previously mention memorials books to the fallen of Wimbledon and Merton. 

The second man with Wimbledon connections is: 

CHARLES HAROLD HONESS
Service No: 113222
Date of Death: 15/04/1917
Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers "G" Special Coy. Grave Reference: I. B. 9. Cemetery: MORY ABBEY MILITARY CEMETERY, MORY
Additional Information: Son of Mr. H. Honess, of Fulham, London; husband of Annie May Honess, of 19, Prince George's Avenue, Raynes Park, Wimbledon, London. 

Before the war, Charles Honess was teaching at the “East Anglian School, Norfolk Road, Bury St.Edmunds”, run by the Wesleyan Board for Secondary schools.  He described himself as single, possibly to obtain and keep his post, but in reality he was a married man with four children. His family lived in Raynes Park, close to Wimbledon, from around 1911 into the 1930s. 

113222 Sgt. Charles Honess is commemorated on the memorial in the grounds of  St.Saviour Church, Raynes Park. It can be seen here: 

https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/142459?search=search_list%3Fsearch_value%3Draynes%20park

In IWM War memorial register 12351 http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/12351 his initials are incorrectly stated as C.E.Honess. 

His name also appears in the two previously mention memorials books to the fallen of Wimbledon and Merton. ( I've heard from another GWF forum member who is researching a possible link to a school memorial in Bury. )

While 113209 Axten first walked into a recruiting office in Wimbledon, 113222 Honess volunteered in Central London, but if service numbers were actually allocated when they reported to Chatam, perhaps they met there for the first time on the same day in August.  They were both in a group of (well qualified?) men who embarked for France not longer after on the 7th September 1915.  

I wondered if they were in the 188th or 189th Coy and whether they were at Loos.  Perhaps the service of 113220 Rhodes Lister provides some evidence.  He was awarded a DCM for his actions on 13th October 1915 while in the 189th Coy.   So perhaps he served alongside Axten and Honess and all three were at LOOS in October 1915.

As to the demise of young 113209 Cpl. Axten, the time and place of his death point to him being on the Somme somewhere south of the Albert – Bapaume Road around 20th June 1916.  This is my very unspecific starting point.  Perhaps he had remained in the same unit as Honess and was actually in “G”Coy of 2nd Bn. Special Bde. at the time of this death. 

113222 Sgt. Charles Honess died at a time and place which seems to coincide with a late phase of operations around ARRAS at its southern extreme, and when there was German attack on Lagnicourt, 15 April 1917.  Possibly involved 62nd Division. He was KIA.  Again this is my rather vague suggestion. 

Anything you could add would be much appreciated.  

As post-script, I came across a profile of 113220 Cpl. Rhodes Lister DCM which includes details about the memorial he is named on.  It can be found here: 
http://www.projectbugle.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/33_.-Corporal-Rhodes-Lister-DCM.pdf

Thanks Chris. You are correct in thinking that the operation on the 15th was conducted in  62nd Divisions area. The operation took place a 03:10 am with 135 bombs fired from Liven's projectors into  the Bullecourt defences against 120 RIR.

With regard to the 113*** numbers, they can only have been issued at Chatham as men were being sent from all over the country to join the special companies. They  appear to have received a travel warrant at their local recruiting office to London where they attested at the central recruiting office in Whitehall and were then sent on to Chatham.

TR

17 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Thanks Chris. You are correct in thinking that the operation on the 15th was conducted in  62nd Divisions area. The operation took place a 03:10 am with 135 bombs fired from Liven's projectors into  the Bullecourt defences against 120 RIR.

With regard to the 113*** numbers, they can only have been issued at Chatham as men were being sent from all over the country to join the special companies. They  appear to have received a travel warrant at their local recruiting office to London where they attested at the central recruiting office in Whitehall and were then sent on to Chatham.

TR

Thanks again. I finally got my brain in gear and found the WD in WO95/121.  Disappointingly, its only  Feb 1916 - Feb 1917.  Is this when records cross over to WO 142?  But, the good news is that the 2nd Bn. WD for 20.6.1916 seems to pinpoint the exact incident in which young Percey Axten and two others were wounded.  A shell hit edge of "F" coy camp.  One crump.and it was good night Vienna.  2Bn, HQ was at CORBIE,  so I'd guess the camp was somewhere relatively nearby. An earlier entry mentions a place called "Trellxwood", but that's not a recognisable name. 

Well, I should have cleaned my glasses to read the WD script - that name is "Treuxwood", found  at 62D.NE square J6.

Edited by Chris_B
addition

Chris.

No, WO142 is the Porton Down papers.  Feb 1917 is when the companies became responsible for there own administration, including war diaries.

TR

1 hour ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Chris.

No, WO142 is the Porton Down papers.  Feb 1917 is when the companies became responsible for there own administration, including war diaries.

TR

My confusion, so were are Bn. diaries after 1917? Apologies if you've answered this q many times before.

Do you have the following from the War Diary of 3rd Canadian CCS July 23rd 1917 (Remy)

146713 Pnr N Myerson 3rd Spec Co RE . Gas shell lethal

129957 Pnr A E Sawyer 3rd Spec Co RE Gas shell lethal

143081 Sgt R Robertson 3rd Spec Co RE Gas shell lethal

Myerson was a local Russian/German Jew,  grocer, commemorated in the Jewish Payer House Linthorpe Cemetery, Middlesbrough.

two of his brothers also served.

Eddie

Edited by EDWARD1
129959 should read 129957 (CWGC)

58 minutes ago, Chris_B said:

My confusion, so were are Bn. diaries after 1917? Apologies if you've answered this q many times before.

Chris

The designation "1st Battalion" etc was changed in 1917 to Headquarters Special Companies and can be found in WO95 under that title.

TR

42 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

Do you have the following from the War Diary of 3rd Canadian CCS July 23rd 1917 (Remy)

146713 Pnr N Myerson 3rd Spec Co RE . Gas shell lethal

129959 Pnr A E Sawyer 3rd Spec Co RE Gas shell lethal

143081 Sgt R Robertson 3rd Spec Co RE Gas shell lethal

Myerson was a local Russian/German Jew,  grocer, commemorated in the Jewish Payer House Linthorpe Cemetery, Middlesbrough.

two of his brothers also served.

Eddie

Eddie

Thanks for that, appreciated.

TR