Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Terry_Reeves

Terry

You may have noticed that I am searching for these 1916 RE Casualty Lists and there are some Special Brigade members on the ones I have posted. I have three names from List HA 3296 which is too faint to post. All three were admitted to 8 Sty Hos on 12/10/1916:

192048 Pte Davies ?                       RE 4 Spec Bde     Gassed Drift.       MIC David O T Davies

192807 Pte Richardson J J             RE 4 Spec Bde      Gassed Drift       MIC James J Richardson

15669   Pte Beech J                        RE 4 Spec Bde      Gassed Drift       N/T MIC or Medal Rolls

and List H A 3157                               Admitted 8 Sty Hos 07/10/1916:

129007 Pte Marks J                         RE 3 Spec Bde     Gassed Drift

Brian

Brian

Many thanks, much appreciated. Just for interests sake,  Beech is 156639 Pioneer James C Beech, formerly Driver , RFA.  

TR

Guest Nigel Oliver

Terry,

My grandfather Francis Ralph Oliver was a sergeant in the Royal Engineers Special Brigade. I have only a few details from his few notes however I can add to your records the following information:

His Royal Engineers number was 113128 (please note other numbers below)

Born in Sheffield.

There is a record of him in the 5th York & Lancaster Regiment, number 2663

Arrived in France in January 1915 with 1st Battalion York & Lancaster Regiment.

He was in the Battle of Loos 25 September 1915

At Quinchley Briskfields

Ypres on 22 April 1915, gas.

Ypres March 1918

La Bassee Canal undated, gas.

Somme 1 July 1916 gas.

He survived the war and joined the RAF in 1919

Hope this is useful and adds to your records.

Regards

Nigel Oliver

On 7/28/2016 at 16:55, Jez said:

Hi Andy

Are you still following this site?

This photo was taken on 15th September, 1915, at Verquin, between Bethune and Noeux les Mines. This was 10 days before the Battle of Loos.

My grandfather, William English, annotated his copy of this photo. He is in the back row far left (sideways stance). He suffered gas injury on the first day of the Battle of Loos but went on to live to 95!

I have always thought he was in 186 Company. 

On 7/28/2016 at 16:55, Jez said:

Hi Jez,

Many thanks for providing a date for the photo !

My grandfather is on the back row, on the far right.  If you look back through the previous pages on this forum, you'll see many interesting photos - it might be the case, that your grandfather is on some of them.  I haven't checked yet, but I think I put an aerial photo of Verquin on this forum.

I'll see if I can find any mention of your grandfather in any documentation that I have.

Regards,

Andy

Edited by Andy Heaton

On 12/18/2011 at 15:49, Andy Heaton said:

Page4.jpg

Page5.jpg

Hi All,

I've been looking back through the postings and I've come across this ^^^ posting that I made in 2011 (Page 14, Post 347)

If you take a careful look, at the very final page of the Newsletter, it mention that the "Custodian of the Albums" is :

J Bleby,

Cavendish House,

2 Clare Hill, 

Esher,

Surrey,

KT10 9NA

On a whim, I entered his details on to Google and it would appear that he is still alive and still at that address.

Just an idea, would it be worth making an official 'group' approach to him, to see if he might be able to provide any useful information relating to the Special Brigade ?  

In my opinion, Terry would be best placed to make such an enquiry, but if no-one wants to take it on, I'd be happy to write a letter.

I wonder how he came to be custodian of the albums - family interest ?  Of course, I'm sure that most of us would be curious to know just what such albums might contain. An outside chance I realise, but if J Bleby could provide us with an info. (which be made available on this forum) wouldn't that be something that would be appreciated by all with an interest in the Special Brigade ?

Any thoughts ?

**** UPDATE ****

Better scrub the idea of contacting J Bleby - I've just found out that he died in October last year (2015) - I'm angry with myself for not have contacted him a few years ago.

His obituary may be seen here :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11922579/Professor-John-Bleby-veterinary-surgeon-obituary.html

Edited by Andy Heaton

The photo published by Jez in post 700 I am pretty sure comes from  the 1950's edition of Corporals All by Martin S Fox, a member of the Specials. It has a number of group photographs of the original sections from 1915. Unfortunately only the section officers are named. Fox produced another edition of the book in the early 1960's minus the pictures. Copies of the first edition can be found in the IWM Library and the RE Library, Chatham..

TR

If Dr Bleby only died last year I am sure it is still worth an enquiry to his executors or family. If he kept records until late on then they may not yet have been disposed of?

May be a long shot, but the RA Veterinary Corps is included in the Army Medical Services Museum, so I wonder if he or the family might have offered his papers there.

On 3 August 2016 at 13:27, Andy Heaton said:

Hi All,

I've been looking back through the postings and I've come across this ^^^ posting that I made in 2011 (Page 14, Post 347)

If you take a careful look, at the very final page of the Newsletter, it mention that the "Custodian of the Albums" is :

J Bleby,

Cavendish House,

2 Clare Hill, 

Esher,

Surrey,

KT10 9NA

On a whim, I entered his details on to Google and it would appear that he is still alive and still at that address.

Just an idea, would it be worth making an official 'group' approach to him, to see if he might be able to provide any useful information relating to the Special Brigade ?  

In my opinion, Terry would be best placed to make such an enquiry, but if no-one wants to take it on, I'd be happy to write a letter.

I wonder how he came to be custodian of the albums - family interest ?  Of course, I'm sure that most of us would be curious to know just what such albums might contain. An outside chance I realise, but if J Bleby could provide us with an info. (which be made available on this forum) wouldn't that be something that would be appreciated by all with an interest in the Special Brigade ?

Any thoughts ?

**** UPDATE ****

Better scrub the idea of contacting J Bleby - I've just found out that he died in October last year (2015) - I'm angry with myself for not have contacted him a few years ago.

His obituary may be seen here :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11922579/Professor-John-Bleby-veterinary-surgeon-obituary.html

Mark

John Bleby's father was 158724  William Henry Bleby who prior to the war was an assistant teacher in Birmingham . He joined the SB in 1916 and  by 1918 was a Sergeant in "C" Special Company. He was commissioned in July 1918, I think into the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. This would explain John Bleby's connection

TR

Guest TimEdwards

Hi Terry,

I would be very interested in any information about my grandfather Thomas Edwards.RE 108813, enlisted on 29th February 1916, RE No.4 Special Company (?) and ended up in June 1917 on detachment to RE Experimental Station, Wembley after being wounded on the Front.He seemed to stay in Wembley for 18 months and I have a Z22 form saying that he was 'poisoned' while on service there. He had studied chemistry prior to the War. He was awarded the MSM, 14147. I have his Active Service form but its not so easy to make out. He went on to teach in Pwll, south Wales and died around 1948.

I'm happy to send on pictures and what copies of records I have if you need them.

I'd be grateful for any information you have about him. Thanks,

Tim Edwards

HI,  I have Lt William Nicklin, RE who was killed on 24th Aug 1916 serving with 1st Bttn C Coy Special Brigade RE.     I downloaded what I thought would be the War Diary from TNA but his date is not mentioned .      I try to attach a small paragraph on the war memorial in the church of the events of the last day of the serving soldiers life .   My town has 73 and so far the Battle of the Somme has claimed  a large proportion .   Anything on 2nd Lt Nicklin , aged 40, would be much appreciated . Thanks . Elizgh .

On 9 August 2016 at 16:37, TimEdwards said:

Hi Terry,

I would be very interested in any information about my grandfather Thomas Edwards.RE 108813, enlisted on 29th February 1916, RE No.4 Special Company (?) and ended up in June 1917 on detachment to RE Experimental Station, Wembley after being wounded on the Front.He seemed to stay in Wembley for 18 months and I have a Z22 form saying that he was 'poisoned' while on service there. He had studied chemistry prior to the War. He was awarded the MSM, 14147. I have his Active Service form but its not so easy to make out. He went on to teach in Pwll, south Wales and died around 1948.

I'm happy to send on pictures and what copies of records I have if you need them.

I'd be grateful for any information you have about him. Thanks,

Tim Edwards

Tim

I will contact you within the next 48hrs

TR

1 hour ago, elizgh99 said:

HI,  I have Lt William Nicklin, RE who was killed on 24th Aug 1916 serving with 1st Bttn C Coy Special Brigade RE.     I downloaded what I thought would be the War Diary from TNA but his date is not mentioned .      I try to attach a small paragraph on the war memorial in the church of the events of the last day of the serving soldiers life .   My town has 73 and so far the Battle of the Somme has claimed  a large proportion .   Anything on 2nd Lt Nicklin , aged 40, would be much appreciated . Thanks . Elizgh .

Elizgh

I will contact you within the next 48 hrs

TR

On 9 August 2016 at 17:49, elizgh99 said:

Elizgh

William Nicklin  (See link below for photo)

http://zoom.iwm.org.uk/view/429448&cat=photographs&oid=object-205386454

Metallurgist

23.2.1916  Temp 2 Lt  RE          

12.3.1916    to Special Brigade  

23.3.1916    joined "C" Company

24.8.1916    Wounded and died the same day.

He is buried in Flat Iron Copse Cemetery on the Somme which was the site of an Advanced Dressing Station. He almost certainly died there whilst being treated for his wounds.

"C" Company appears not to have been in action that day, the only operations being undertaken were by 5th Battalion laying down smoke from their Stokes mortars. I suspect that he may have received his fatal wound whilst preparing for another operation.

He has a file at the National Archives in WO339/55133, and 1st Battalion war diary can be found in WO 142/312 however you will need to go to Kew to see the documents.

If you have any further questions, please ask.

TR

Hi

With reference to Andy Heaton's photo, post 145 on page 6, I thought this photo would be of interest.  It is taken in the same spot, with my grandfather circled.

Jez

Corporal Chemists.JPG

Thanks Jez.  The revolvers always tickle me. They must have got in the way a bit when humping heavy weights. Mind you, they were replaced by rifle in the second half of 19197.

TR

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I don't know if this is still relevant (I see that this thread dates from 2008) but my great-uncle, Charles Stewart, was in the RE special company A and was killed in action on 18th April 1918. I have visited his grave at Sailly-Labourse and would like to know where he was killed. I have the war diary but of course it doesn't mention individual soldiers. Maybe he is of interest to someone. I have a pretty good copy of his war record, I think he was gassed and hospitalized several times, once at Edell St in London.

Hi. My great Uncle John Bailey born 1893.    147172 Royal Engineers  Sgt.  (formerly 3003 Northumberland Fusiliers "o" spec Coy R.E.   He died 2.2.118 and has a Commonwealth War Grave in the Cemetery in Grangetown, Sunderland.

I was told by my mother that he was gassed 'by his own gas' and sent home to die. Can you tell me any more about him please ?

• 4 weeks later...

Terry

Some more names that appear on partial casualty lists that are too faint to post:

129368 Pnr Scott F J     1 Spec Co     (cause) SW L Ch---

Another name on the same list, 79358 Spr Evans J of 181 Tunn Co later served with the Military Foot Police as P/17716 and the MFP Rolls show that he was in the RE from 15/05/1917 to 11/11/1918.

The following names on this list are not clear look like:

(No unreadable)    Pnr Mitchell A    4 S Bde       (cause)      PUO

-------3                    Pnr Alderson ? P R     1 S Bde               Gas D     Accid           Poss MIC 183413 Percy R Alderson

and another name poss Coleman C or G H   4 S Bde         PUO

Brian

Hi Terry. Not sure if it's any use to you, but, there's a reference to Special Coy RE in the 3rd GHQ Ammunition Park War Diary on August 1st 1917. My transcription below (for what it's worth)

1/8/1917 Wednesday  Malo-Les-Bains Weather Unit commanded by Maj A G C de Smidt Total strength 326 all ranks consisting of 6 officers, 255 OR ASC, 1 officer and 64 OR RA and 1 OR RAMC. 14 lorries, 32 NCO's and men on command to Ribys? Supply Column since 25/7/1917 11 lorries, 1 cycle, 33 NCO's and men on command to CRE 1st Division since 16/7/1917, 5 lorries, 11 NCO's and men  on command to officer 1/? Special Coy RE since 10/7/1917. Big successful attack by British in conjunction with the French. Advance of over 1? 1/2 miles beyond Ypres and 3500 prisoners taken. Weather Rain cold. The following units are attached for maintenance 4th F? S C, No 6 RTC?, No 6 RCE, Intelligence I (a) & (b), 1st Siege Coy RARE? 1 side-car combination TOS of the Coy 31/7/1917 (No 3 GHQ Ammunition Park War Diary)

2jie8o.jpg

Mike