Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Terry_Reeves

Gaynor

Herbert McKell was one of the original members of the Special Companies and joined them in the summer of 1915. It is likely that he had some training in chemistry before the war and it was this that prompted his voluntary transfer to the RE from the infantry, which was quite normal. When he was killed he belonged to No 3 Special Mortar Company which was equipped with the 4 inch Stokes Mortar which fired chemical and smoke ammunition. However, I think it is possible that they may have been assisting cylinder companies at this time. The unit war diary is at the National Archives and may give details of the operation in which he received his fatal gassing, however, individual companies only kept their own war diaries from March 1917, so if the operation he was involved in when he was gassed happened before this date, it may be that details will be a bit thin on the ground from the RE perspective, however I have some details of the likely operation:

Operation number 225, 1 March, 1917. 1st Army, Canadian Corps, 4th Canadian Division, Vimy Ridge. Ammunition: 1200 White Star ( Phosgene/Chlorine) 80 Red Star (Chlorine) Time of discharge - 3 am to 4:45 am.

German units affected 261, 262 RIR, 2 Bavarian RIR, 11 and 14 bavarian Infantry Regiments

TR

Gaynor

Herbert McKell was one of the original members of the Special Companies and joined them in the summer of 1915. It is likely that he had some training in chemistry before the war and it was this that prompted his voluntary transfer to the RE from the infantry, which was quite normal. When he was killed he belonged to No 3 Special Mortar Company which was equipped with the 4 inch Stokes Mortar which fired chemical and smoke ammunition. However, I think it is possible that they may have been assisting cylinder companies at this time. The unit war diary is at the National Archives and may give details of the operation in which he received his fatal gassing, however, individual companies only kept their own war diaries from March 1917, so if the operation he was involved in when he was gassed happened before this date, it may be that details will be a bit thin on the ground from the RE perspective, however I have some details of the likely operation:

Operation number 225, 1 March, 1917. 1st Army, Canadian Corps, 4th Canadian Division, Vimy Ridge. Ammunition: 1200 White Star ( Phosgene/Chlorine) 80 Red Star (Chlorine) Time of discharge - 3 am to 4:45 am.

German units affected 261, 262 RIR, 2 Bavarian RIR, 11 and 14 bavarian Infantry Regiments

TR

Terry

Thanks for this - where did you get such clear facts from - do you know something about the numbering etc?

I'm sure he had some chemical knowledge pre joining up as he was listed on 1911 as working in the laboratory of an aniline colour merchant in Bradford ( i believe they made dyes for the woollen industry)

I've already downloaded the Canadian diaries from 1st March (and all Feb too) and it's quite clear what was happening! They do say in this that their men weren't too affected by the gas though, so I'm not 100% sure he was fatally gasse (or do you know different?)

I've today re looked at an embroidered postcard which was sent to my Gt grandparents - not from Herbert himself, but poss from one of his former "pals" who gives his battlion as 1/6 Yorkshire Regiment dated 27th Oct 1915, so after Herbert has joined the RE. I think someone else has mentioned this battalion in relation to then transferring, so maybe, just maybe there may be more info. I'm curious to know if he was at Loos etc.

Don't let that discourage you ! :thumbsup:

It doesn't!! (anyway I found I wasn't - others have bravely gone before me.......:D

I've just found that site - thank's for the info. about it. I wish we had more digitised info. available . . . . . . . maybe one day . . .

It really is a good site isn't it?:poppy:

Terry

My father, George Oswald Mitchell (G.O.M.) was a pre-1914 'Terrier'. On the first day of the war, he was mobilised in Bradord in the 1/6th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. After training in Yorkshire, this Battalion was engaged in front line action in and around the Neuve Chappelle sector and the Ypres salient in the spring and early summer of 1915. When the RE Special Companies were formed under Major Foulkes, my father was transferred to the gas base at Helfaut, becoming one of the first of the Comical Chemical Corporals. G.O.M. was in the front line for the massive British gas attack on the first day of the Battle of Loos, 25th September 1915. For the remaining three years of the war, he was involved in numerous gas attacks up and down the front line. He was promoted from Corporal to Sergeant and eventually commissioned as a 2nd/Lt. He must have been one of the few soldiers who saw active service from the very first day of the war through to - and beyone - the Armistice.

G.O.M. kept a trench diary from the day he landed in France to the battle of Loos and thereadter made a number of manuscript notes. When he died in 1969, I presented his diary and a number of other relevant documents and photographs to the Imperial War Museum. However, they have lost all the accompanying material. Fortunately, the diary survives and has been cited by Donald Richter in 'Chemical Soldiers', Philip Warmer in 'The Battle of Loos', Niall Cherry in 'Most Infavourable Ground' and Judith Cook in her biography of J B Priestley. I have used it as the basis for a book which will be published later this month (October 2008) - 'Shrapnel and Whizzbangs - A Tommy in the Trenches 1914-18'. This includes information about a numbers of the RE Special Companies (later, RE Special Brigade), especially 'M' Company, which was G.O.M.'s company. I expect you are far away in advance of me in identifying who was involved, but I will gladly provide any help I can.

Although I joined the Great War Forum some time ago and have learned a lot from various postings, I have not found it easy to manage the technology and the vast range of choices involved. I have tried to make postings before but don't seem to have succeeded. If you do get this, i would be grateful if you would copy any reply directly to my email address, jeremy.m@which.net. Thank you.

Jeremy Mitchell

Hi Jeremy

I have posted at the end of the topic (on Weds 22nd June 2011) but today have also found out something else. My Gt Uncle Herbert McKell from Bradford, joined up at some point after Oct 1914 (I Think - as he was born about Oct 1896) HIs medal cert states he was number 617 in West Yorks regiment, afterwards he became a Corporal in RE number 106636 and entered France on 24th August 1915. In 1911 he is on census as working for an aniline colour merchant - laboratory - so obviously had the required chemical background. He died of wounds on 1st March 1917 and is buried in Villers Station Cem Pas de Calais & the record say he was with 3rd Spec Coy Royal Engineers. My new bit of info today was when I re looked at an embroidered card sent to his parents on 27th Oct 1915, and it's not from him, but from a "pal" I presume - who gives his battalion as 1/6th West Yorkshire> I am therefore surmising that Herbert may have been in 1/6th West Yorks before transferring to RE - and possibly knew your father! I will buy a copy of your book.....

Gaynor

• 4 months later...

Hi Terry,

Thanks for creating such an interesting and informative thread. I have someone to add to your list if they aren't already on it, my Grandad, Sergeant Ward Eager:

Name: Ward Eager

Regimental Number: 129899

Unit: N Special Company, Royal Engineers

Enlisted at Llandudno into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers (Regimental Number 21582), date uncertain. He transferred to the Royal Engineers Special Brigade, date uncertain but judging from his Regimental Number (129899) I'm guessing it was after the Brigade was expanded in 1916. Perhaps you can shed some more light on this?

My Grandad survived the war and was awarded the Military Medal and Croix de Guerre during his service. I have been trying to research these medals but information is hard to find. He was gazetted on 28.1.1918 for the MM and I have read through the War Diaries for N Company at the National Archives to try and find a specific reference. He doesn't seem to be mentioned by name in the diaries (very few N.C.Os were) but there is an entry for Forthem 8.11.1917 which states "Received notification of award of MMs to two N.C.Os of N Spec Coy R.E". This date would seem to fit the Gazette (which I believe had a 2-3 month lag). This date would the also tie in with the Croix de Guerre because at that time N Special Company were attached to the Belgian 2nd Division for approximately 2 months for operations in the Forthem and Dixmude areas. I don't know if the Croix de Guerre was an individual award (perhaps linked to the same action as his MM) or if it was awarded at unit level. I've read communications in the War Diaries between Lt General Drubbel and Major Foulkes concerning the exemplary conduct of the Special Companies which were attached to the Belgian 2nd Division, so perhaps other Croix de Guerres were awarded. Perhaps you can shed some light on this too?

Attached is a photo showing a group of sergeants, sergeant majors and officers of the Special Brigade, my grandfather is 2nd from left in the back row. Some of these men are certainly from N Company (perhaps the whole back row?) but I'm not sure of the other companies present. The only information I have from the rear of the photo is that it was taken "on the eve of the Battle Of Passchendaele in 1917". N Special Company saw action at the Battle Of Messines in June 1917 so I'm guessing this photo was taken in the run up to that. Perhaps someone can shed some further light on this photo or maybe even knows the names of some of the men?

post-83986-0-23533900-1319985166.jpg

Martin

Many thanks for posting the information and photograph. His number indicates he was compulsorily transferred to the Special Brigade in the first half of 1916. The operations with 2nd Belgian Division you refer to, took place in the Dixmude area between 26th and 29th October 1917, using cylinders and Livens Projectors. All were against 386 Landwehr Regiment. A further ;operation took place on 6.11.17 against 247 Reserve Infantry Regiment.  With regard to his C de G, this will have been one of the reciprocal awards that passed between the allied nations and it is likely that it came about as the the result of his being awarded the MM. The photograph is almost certainly one the 4th Battalion's Sergeants Mess (note the RSM on the chair in the front centre) and depicts all the senior NCOs from N,O,P and Q Companies. Incidentally, there is a service record for a Driver Ward Eager who swerved with 3rd London Brigade Ammunition Column TF from 18.11.09 to 28.10.10,  and who was discharged as "unlikely to become an efficient soldier". His address was Streatham, London. Could this be him also?

TR

Martin

Many thanks for posting the information and photograph. His number indicates he was compulsorily transferred to the Special Brigade in the first half of 1916. The operations with 2nd Belgian Division you refer to, took place in the Dixmude area between 26th and 29th October 1917, using cylinders and Livens Projectors. All were against 386 Landwehr Regiment. A further ;operation took place on 6.11.17 against 247 Reserve Infantry Regiment.  With regard to his C de G, this will have been one of the reciprocal awards that passed between the allied nations and it is likely that it came about as the the result of his being awarded the MM. The photograph is almost certainly one the 4th Battalion's Sergeants Mess (note the RSM on the chair in the front centre) and depicts all the senior NCOs from N,O,P and Q Companies. Incidentally, there is a service record for a Driver Ward Eager who swerved with 3rd London Brigade Ammunition Column TF from 18.11.09 to 28.10.10,  and who was discharged as "unlikely to become an efficient soldier". His address was Streatham, London. Could this be him also?

TR

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the extra information, it really helps piece together a few more bits of the jigsaw. I had wondered if the photo was of the 4th Batallion's NCOs, so thanks for confirming this.

Yes, the service record for the 3rd London Brigade 1909-1910 is definitely him. He was indeed living in Streatham at the time and I have the originals of his Territorial Force papers. I guess when war broke out the army was forced to make "efficient soldiers" out of even those previously not considered suited.

The date of 6.11.17 looks to be a key one in working out when his medals were earned. When reading the War Diaries at the National Archive I noticed an order issued 5.11.17 for "one Sergeant and one Corporal" to go to the front lines and ensure that all personnel were fully evacuated ahead of the forthcoming operation. Since the diary entry of 8.11.17 mentions that two NCOs were awarded the MM, it seems logical to assume that this was the same two and the award is linked to their carrying out this order effectively or tackling some situation that arose as a result.

Martin

• 1 month later...

Hi Terry,

Fabulous thread, thank you. I've just read through it all.

I've actually been researching my Grandfather, David Hirst, who was in the Bolton Artillery. However, when she gave me my Grandfather's medals, my mother also gave me another set for someone I'd never heard of but who she said was 'in the family': George Adamson. It transpires that, after the war, George married my Granfather's wife's sister!

Anyway, the reason I'm writing is that I've downloaded George's service record from Ancestry and I was hoping that, as an RE, he was in the 42nd Division alongside my Grandfather (both from Bolton), but it quickly became apparent that he was not, and I noticed the word 'special' against 'RE'; a quick Google search led me here. Here are his details:

Name: George Adamson

Born: 1890

Address: 151 Blackburn Road, Bolton.

Original Unit: Army Cyclist Corps, service number 8700, but he was transferred to RE while still at the training centre

Transferred to RE: 25 Sep 1915, service number 120658 ('as a chemist under WO letter 121/1/1 (A.G.I.) dt 31-7-1915')

Joined BEF: 4 Oct 1915 (entered theatre 5-Oct 1915 according to MRC)

Unit: RE Depot Special Company as a Depot Chemist Corporal

The 1911 census shows him as a student at Manchester University where he got a BSc - I wonder if it was chemistry?

He was discharged from the 'Special Brigade Depot' on 17 Dec 1917 to take a commission in the RGA (8-12-17).

His medals, like those of a previous poster, have never been worn. I wonder if they just wanted to forget what they'd been involved with?

As far as I can tell, the record does not show his company but, reading through previous posts, you seem to be a bit of a whiz with service numbers and, since he seems to have been an early member, I would be very grateful if you'd be able to offer me any help. Also, if you can identify his unit, I'd be grateful too if you could point me in the right direction for available records and diaries; I've been to TNA many times, but always looking for material relevant to my Grandad's war. The word 'depot' features several times in the record - does that mean he was attached to the HQ and didn't serve in the field?

Thanks in advance for your help, and thanks again for an exemplary thread. Good luck with your endeavours.

Kind regards

Robin

Robin

There is no correlation between number and companies I'm afraid. What is interesting is the remarkable survival rate of documents within this particular number group, most are unaffected by smoke or flame. This allows you to piece together the progress of the group, including George Adamson, into the Special Brigade. They all joined the RE, as Corporals, many from other corps and regiments, in September and October 1915, too late to take part in the first British gas attack at Loos, but just before the expansion into a brigade sized formation. The majority give their occupations as chemists, teachers or students. The latter two groups were almost certainly studying or teaching chemistry in one form or another. It may be that Manchester University has a list of alumni which may help with Adamson. They all passed through M (Depot) Company at Chatham before being despatched to the Special Brigade Depot in France which was at Helfaut, some 4 miles south of St Omer. The HQ was in the maire and the adjoining school, both of which still stand, with the men being billeted in the surrounding villages. They majority appear to have initially joined one the original companies, that is 186, 187, 188 or 189, which formed the basis for the five battalions. On the foundation of the Special Brigade in January 1916, they were then transferred to companies which were alphabetically ordered from "A" to "Q". There was no "I" company. 5th Battalion was the special mortar unit , the companies being ordered numerically, 1-4. These men could have have been posted to any company within the battalions.

There is one way, perhaps, to find which company he was in and that is by looking at the company war diaries for November/December 1917 as they often mention men who are being posted out for commissioning.

TR

Hi Terry,

Many thanks indeed. More work to do when I'm next in Kew!

Kind regards

Robin

These scans are from the 1932 Northern Section of The Special Brigade; it would be great if anyone recognised any of the names. I've found that my Grandfather is the only one of those named, who was still listed as a member in November 1981.

If anyone sees any value in it, I could also scan the list of 1981 members and put it on the forum.

Booklet1.jpg

Booklet3.jpg

Booklet6.jpg

I realise that many (most) of those who come on this forum are interested in those who perished in WW1; hopefully though, this list may prove useful someone.

If anyone wishes, I could put scans on this forum of the last list of members as at November 1981 and I also have a copy of the last News Letter (No. 50) that I could also post on here.

The following sets of images are from two Special Brigade concert programmes; I hope someone finds something of interest in them.

The first two scans are from 'The Night Birds' concert programme - which is sadly, in very poor condition.

image1n.jpg

image1o.jpg

Final scans :

image1r.jpg

Please note that some members from this concert programme, also feature in The Night Birds concert programme; so presumably, The Night Birds were also members of L Company.

image1s.jpg

Absolutely superb Andy - many thanks for posting!

I for one would certainly like to see the news letter and last members if you're happy to scan them.

Kind regards

Steve

Andy

Thanks for posting the images. It is very useful to be able to place these men with their companies. If you are interested I can give you some information about the officers that are named .

TR

Absolutely superb Andy - many thanks for posting!

I for one would certainly like to see the news letter and last members if you're happy to scan them.

Kind regards

Steve

HI Steve,

Many thanks for your reply. I hereby enclose some scans of the list of Special Brigade members who were alive in 1981.

It should be noted, that there were quite possibly other Special Brigade veterans still alive, who were not members of the Special Brigade Association and thus, not listed.

The page numbering begins with 29; this is because it was added on to the final newletter of November 1981, which I shall be putting on here shortly. It will be a bigger task though, because I'll have 28 pages to scan.

In my opinion, the final newsletter is a 'must read' for anyone with an interest in the Special Brigade. It provides a 'potted' history of how the brigade was formed and the scope of work undertaken; but perhaps the most important aspect, is that it was written by the veterans themselves.

Page1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I may be way-off the mark here Tom, but the way the sections of the gas cylinder companies were numbered, I'd suggest No. 26 Section would have been part of G Company; if I'm wrong I'm sure Terry will put you in the right direction! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

I may be way-off the mark here Tom, but the way the sections of the gas cylinder companies were numbered, I'd suggest No. 26 Section would have been part of G Company; if I'm wrong I'm sure Terry will put you in the right direction! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Steve. I hope Terry reads this, because his mailbox is full.

Tom

In 1915, 26 Section was part of 188 Company. In 1916, on the re-organisation into a Brigade, 26 section was with "E" Company . A further re-organisation took place in March 1917 and 26 section was moved to "F" Company.

Hope this helps.

TR