Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.S. Mohawk

Chris Noble

H.M.S. Mohawk.

Built in 1907, by Whites, as a Torpedo Boat Destroyer.

1915?, employed on Dover Patrol until she was severely damaged by enemy mine.

Can any Pals confirm the date of the incident?

I know that there are 4 casualties commemorated or buried at St. James, Dover. Dates of death, 1st June, 1915. Can anybody confirm this?

A bit out of my league this one, so any info much appreciated.

Chris.

Guest Pete Wood

Found this

In May 1915 also arrived the first U-boats of the UC I class in Brugge. The very first minefield to be laid by these mine laying U-boats was located south of the Goodwin LV and was the so called Sperre 1.

It was laid by the UC 11 on 31 May, 1915. Not even 24 hours later it took its very first victim, the British destroyer HMS Mohawk.

This appears to confirm your date.

The damage wasn't that bad, though, as the ship was still in use until 1919. The later ships, called HMS Mohawk, carried the battle honour 'Dover Patrol 1915-1917.'

Here is a link to a picture of your ship

http://www.navy.dnd.ca/pride_html/gallery/...gallery_f_e.htm

Just click on the running trials section to make the pic bigger.

It was the sixth ship to carry the name.

HMS Mohawk , Tribal Class TBD, pennant No H19 (1914), D06 (1915) launched 15th March 1907, sold 27th May 1919. 865 to 885 tons260 x 25.5 x 8 feet.Turbine 14250 shp = 34 knots. Armament: 5 x 12 pounder, 2 x 18 inch torpedo.

notes: had four funnels, burned oil fuel only. Served in the Dover patrol throughout the war except 1918 when in the in the 10th S/M Flotilla.

Aye

Malcolm

• 4 years later...

Hi.

Well, i have downloaded one of the casualties Service Registers from the N.A.

I am a bit confused here as to Date and Period of Engagements and Period of Service, bearing in mind that this Engine Room Artificer was killed 1/6/15.

Hopefully this P.D.F. will upload.

Kindest regards,

Chris.

March.pdf

• 5 years later...

Hi my name is Dave and I am new to this type of venture. My grandfather Frank Bott served on the Mohawk in the engineroom and was seriously injured in an explosion, I presume when it hit a mine. Thats all I know really. I have no family members left alive so need a few pointers from people to start finding out about Frank Bott. Cheers

Would attach service record for Frank Bott but can't find attach icon. Makes reference to injured on Mohawk, June 1st 1915.

Dave

I have researched a man from Walsall KiA this date on the Mohawk, here is a bit of my research

John served as a stoker aboard H.M.S. “Mohawk”, this being an ‘F’ class destroyer of 890 tons displacement. She was built by J. Samuel White’s yard in Cowes being launched on Friday 15 March 1907. In 1914 she was attached to the 6th Destroyer Flotilla and was a tender to H.M.S. “Attentive”.

Under the command of Commander Edward Ratcliffe Garth Russell Evans, CB, H.M.S. “Mohawk” was on patrol off north Foreland area during Tuesday 1 June 1915. She saw mines close to her, but could not get clear because of strong east going tide. The mines had been previously laid by the German submarine U.C. 11 under Oberleutnant zur See Walter Gottfried Schmidt.

H.M.S. “Mohawk” struck one of the mines severely damaging her and killing five ratings. She was towed into Dover with upper deck almost level with the water.

The ship’s log records,

1 June 1915

3.15am. Stopped and picked up indication buoy.

3.20am. Proceeded.

5.25am. Struck German mine whilst patrolling on No. 1 Patrol, position, 1 and a half miles south of S. Goodwin Lt. Vessel. Fired rocket. Trawlers came to assistance at 5.45. Ship’s company placed in Trawler. Proceeded for harbour towed by Trawlers.

Casualties - 5 killed - 4 severely injured. Damage considerable.

7am. Proceeded into floating dock Dover.”

The U.C.11 herself was destroyed by a mine. She hit a mine whilst submerged during Wednesday 26 June 1918 in the Dover Strait with the loss of 18 crew. There was 1 survivor.

Here is the Mohawk

post-10072-0-23269000-1365856526_thumb.j

Hope this helps

Graeme

Thanks Graeme. Really interesting. I am really grateful for the detail you have researched. I'm new to this game so I am beginning my research. I have been looking at the ships my grandfather served on. Trying to work out what Victory, Victory 11, Fisgard, Sappho, Sopaze are. Perhaps I am not reading them correctly. Is victory a training ship?

My grandfather was invalided out 12th October 17. I can remember my mum saying some years later he was combing his hair and felt a bump. Evidently a piece of wood had worked its way to the surface - this would have resulted from the explosion so he obviously had had head wounds.

Have also downloaded the service file for a my great uncle - Alfred Hurley born in Birkenhead. He served on some of the same ships. My mum told me he served on submarines. However, I have not yet worked out the names of these. Would Dolphin and Maidstone be subs? I have found there are letter classes for subs but these do not figure on his record.

I note Alfred also has service history on the Victory 11 and Fisgard thats why I think they may be training ships.

It is all so interesting.

Many thanks

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Mohawk was of the 1st group Tribal or later the F class destroyers, or as built, torpedo boat detroyers or TBD's.

Truly groundbeaking, but seriously flawed, Whites of Cowes on the Isle of Wight built 3 of the 12, the other pair of the 2nd group being Crusader and Saracen.

Remarkably all 3 of the Whites Tribals appeared somewhat similar, unlike Thornycrofts trio for example where visually they were poles apart..

After the Armistice on 11 Nov 1918 the rapid march of surplus war weary and decrepit naval tonnage to the breakers and an inglorious demise was relentless.

Mohawk was the 1st RN destroyer to go to the breakers with absolutely no ceremony or regard to past endeavours. History was irrelevent, especially such recent history.

Time to move on.

Sold for small change to Hughes Bolckow at Blyth in May 1919 the reason Mohawk went 1st was that she was in refit at Chatham and with her boilers removed for retubing she was going nowhere. Save a few quid and despatch the old war horse.

Mohawk was not the first RN ship to be sold post the Great War however. That was 3 months previously.

Graeme and your image in post 14. Thanks. Shows Mohawk with her raised fore funnel, done to keep the hot gases away from the vulnerable bridge area a few years after completion.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I am new to this very interesting forum,I have recently obtained my grandfathers service record,although a bit tatty I am slowly making some sense of his whereabouts at different times during ww1,his name was Thomas Joseph Massey,his rating is stoker 1st class,he seems to have a posting on his service record 12 May 1914 to 6 July 1915 mowhawk,I am just wondering if this would tie in with the dates the mowhawk hit a mine,his service number is k10442 any info would be much appreciated thanks Paul.

Hi my name is Dave and I am new to this type of venture. My grandfather Frank Bott served on the Mohawk in the engineroom and was seriously injured in an explosion, I presume when it hit a mine. Thats all I know really. I have no family members left alive so need a few pointers from people to start finding out about Frank Bott. Cheers

Hi Dave I would think it almost certain that our grandfathers knew each other,I certainly know he was mates with the other stoker that was killed in the mowhawk incident because I have spoken to my aunt (his daughter) who is still alive and does recall a good friend who lost his life that fateful day,I am pleased I am not the only one on a quest to find some history of my grandfather I would love to see if they served together on any other ships.

I was sent this by a GWF Pal some years back, and, please excuse my ignorance as I forgot to credit the information.

Hope this uploads ok.

Best wishes.

Chris.

post-47-0-69340900-1434052391_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

FAO Shrekpaul

I have now found a photo of the crew of Mohawk in 1915. Do you have a serving photo of your grandfather? i would upload the photo if I knew how to.

Dave

Many thanks Chris for posting the telegram. I do know Frank had a head injury, I recall my mum telling me that when combing his hair a few years later, he felt a bump. A piece of wood was working its way to the skin surface in his forehead. Much appreciated. Dave