Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th Division.

Bob Coulson

Tom. There is something on the Long, Long trail concerning the 6th Dorsets at the Bluff.

John. The 12th Manchesters were with the rest of the div. in the Flesquières salient on March 21st, 1918. In danger of being pinched off from the flanks, the units in the salient began a fighting withdrawal at dawn on the 22nd. The 12th Manchesters were east of the canal at Havrincourt with one company in the outpost line. By 18.25 the Germans began pressing along the eastern side of the canal. A second attack at Havrincourt was made in the dark at 19.30 with another 15 minutes later. These were repulsed by the Manchesters. Due to the precarious situation on the flanks the decision was made that evening to pull back to a line from a bend in the canal along the Metz Switch which ran through the eastern edges of Havrincourt Wood. This retirement was carried out that night and completed by sunrise. The enemy launched numerous attacks that night but these were repulsed, some of the heaviest attacks fell on the Manchesters at Havrincourt. At dawn the order for a further withdrawal was given, the 17th Div. Was to retire to the green line and constitute the corps reserve. On saturday the 23rd the div. was in, as follows. 50th bde. holding Hermies left of the line, 51st bde. West of the canal between it and Hermies, 52nd bde. south of the canal from the bend at Yorkshire Bank to the northern part of Metz Switch. Again, pressure on the flanks led to a further withdrawal and by 17.00 the 50th bde was just west of Barastre, the 51st near Villers au Flos and the 52nd bde near Rocquigny. During the night the 52nd bde. came into contact with German patrols and at 05.00 reported that the enemy was moving towards Sailly Saillisel and the Bapaume -Peronne road. At10.00, a determined German thrust towards Rocquigny was beaten off by the 52nd bde. At noon the divisional HQ was moved to Courcelette. The 51st bde were to aell back to a line between Rocquigny and Le Transloy, the 52nd a mile south east of Guedecourt and north of Lesboeufs, the 50th Guedecourt and Ginchy. This however in the general chaos proved impossible and units became scattered. after many orders and counter orders, the 52nd bde and 50th bde were moving towards Eaucourt L'Abbaye by 21.30 with the 51st at Martinpuich. By 02.00 the following day the 50th and 52nd brigades occupied positions towards High Wood. At div HQ at Méaulte on the night 24th-25th march it was decided hat the division would close the gap between Bazentin le Grand and Montauban with the 52nd bde in the centre. At 04.30 the 52nd bde; began moving back from Eaucourt to Martinpuich where it arrived at 06.00. Later on the 51st and 52nd bdes were moving through Courcelette from Martinpuich. The 51st bde reached Fricourt at 09.00 and was sent into thelline, the 52nd arrived around noon and its HQ was set up in the ruins of Fricourt Chateau. The 52nd moved up and occupied positions around Mametz at 17.00 where they held on until midnight. At 01.15 on tuesday, 26th further withdrawal was ordered with the corps to cross the Ancre. The 52nd bde moved out at around 04.00 and eventually reached Dernancourt, Hénencourt. Hope this helps, what a confused period this was. Goodness knows how the men kept going, it never ceases to amaze me the resilience of the men of March 1918.

Tom, re Dorsets at The Bluff.

Feb 14th - In divisional reserve at Reninghelst then moved up to Dickebusche after Germans had blown a mine at The Bluff.

Feb 15th - Counter attack planned for 9-00pm and for this the Dorsets were attached to 51st brigade.

Dorsets came up from Dickebusch and assembled at the canal but in moving up had to pass through the barrage and suffered casualties.

2 coys split and advanced, one being caught in heavy rifle and machine gun enfilade fire.

The two coys then reunited in a position well up the Bluff under Capt Mozley who was the senior surviving officer.

Brought fire to bear on the German trenches above them until withdrawn at about 5-00am on the 16th.

Hope this is of some help.

Bob.

Dave,

Re 10th West Yorkshires at Christmas 1915.

Not a lot of info in divisional history for this period I'm afraid, battalion were in and out of the line close to Hooge with Div HQ at Reninghelst.

Couple of general snippets,

Christmas orders were that there was to be no attempt at renewing the fraternisation of the year before.

Christmas tree appeared in a German trench north of the Menin Road which was fired on and not seen again.

On Christmas Day itself, "Some firing to the south of Ypres and a few shells fell near the Lille Gate but most of the day was quiet"

Not much help I'm afraid.

Bob.

Thanks Bob,

That was more use than you think. I have a couple of casualties buried in Reninghelst. Would you have any idea which units were attached or in support with the 17th Div during this time? I might be able to cross-check their diaries.

Much Appreciated,

Dave

17th (Northern) Division

50th Bde. 10/W Yorks, 7 E/Yorks, 7/Green Howards, 6/Dorset

51st Bde. 7/Lincoln, 7/Border Regt. 8/S. Staffs, 10/Sherwood For.

52nd Bde. 9/North'd Fus. 10/Lancs Fus. 9/DWR 12/Manchester

pioneers 7/York and Lanc.

Tom, this is from memory as I don't have my books at hand.

The 6th Dorsets moved out of their billets around Méaulte and took up positions on the crest of the hill above what is now the Aerospatiale factory, you can see a clump of trees there today. Around midday they moved up to Bonté Redoubt overlooking Fricourt and filled their water bottles. After the 7th E Yorks and three companies of the 7 Green Howards went over the bags at 2.30pm the Dorsets were ordered into the front line between the cemetery and the Tambour. These were B and D companies with A and C remaining at Bonté Redoubt although they joined the front line later. The Dorsets went out at nightfall and recovered wounded. It is believed that they were the first to enter Fricourt itself although this is attributed to another battalion.

nothing from an eyewitness point of view I'm afraid. The Dorsets were not overlooking the front lines until the early afternoon so did not witness the 10th West Yorks' attack.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the 6th bn was at Thiepval. The 1st yes, and later the 5th nearby at Mouquet Farm.