Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th Division.

Bob Coulson

Hi Bob

Any chance you you check out what the 10th Sherwood Foresters ( 51st Brigade) were up to on the 11th June 1918. My Great Granfather (RJ Keeling) was KIA on that date.

Thanks

Paul

Bob

I am also interested in the 17th Division. What is your centre of interest ? For me it's the 6th Dorsets.

Here is a picture of a Dorset tunic with the Divisional flash. Note that it's white on red and not as portrayed on the cigarette cards.

post-16-1066031847.jpg

Paul,

No specific mention of the 10th SF for June 11th 1918.

During May 17th div had been undergoing rest refiiting and training in the Amiens-Doullens area.

On May 27th they took over a front line sector facing Beaumont Hamel.

Germans launched a raid on June 4th incurring many casualties.

June 8th 50th brigade attacked towards Beaumont Hamel and Y-Ravine, 7th East Yorks and 6th Dorsets took part with some success but on June 9th the Germans fought back and reoccupied their trenches and there was skirmishing for a few days.

Possible that 10th SF were moved up to the line in this period.?

Bob.

Uncle Bill,

My interest concerns anything to do with the Yorkshire Regt-Green Howards so 17th division history concerning the 7th battalion is my main interest.

Bob.

I've got an interest in the 17th Northern as well (maybe we should form a 17th Northern Fan Club- haha!). My great uncle was also in the 10th Sherwood Foresters KIA on the 7th of July 1916 in the unsuccessful attack on Quadrangle Support Trench. Uncle Bill, weren't the 6th Dorsets also in action around the Mametz area around the 7th of July as well? Were they attacking Strip Trench (if my memory serves me correctly) ?

Mark

Bob,

I would be interested to know if it makes any mention of the Brigade machine gun companies (50, 51, 52 & 236) or 17th Bn MGC; not too many divisional histories do!

Regards

Phil

My great uncle was bombing officer and was involved in the action near the Hammerhead and strip trench.

Phil,

Over a dozen mentions re MGC in the index but when I checked the treferences they were all very general i.e. Machine Gun Section brought into the line etc.

No specific mentions of numbered units or actions they were involved in.

General Pilcher was however a great believer in the machine gun.

Bob.

Uncle Bill-

I didn't meet you out on the Somme in the early 1990's did I? I was staying at Avril Williams... and if it was you you gave me a photocopied trench map of the Mametz Area.

Probably a long shot but just though I'd ask! I just remember meeting a chap whose relative was with the 6th Dorsets.

Mark

Mark

no it wasn't me, my first trip to the Somme was in 98 the year I passed my driving test.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

This thread is quite old but if the lookup offer still stands would it be possible to see what references there are to the 9th Duke of Wellingtons in the 52nd Brigade around the 21st Dec 1915 please.

I'm researching Private Harry Dugmore who died 21st Dec 1915.

Thanks.

The Division was in the Ypres salient in December 1915. On the 19th, the 1st Bde held the Divisional left sector north of Hooge with the 52nd on the right. They came under a very intense bombardment that was a clear preparation for a German attck, gas was also extensively used. The 9th West Riding Regiment lost 105 men killed and wounded just moving through Ypres ! The 52nd Brigade were still in their trenches near Hooge on the 20th and the 21st. On the 22nd, the 52nd Bde. organized a trench raid near Hooge with 34 men from the Northumberland and lancashire Fusiliers. I suggest you try and find a specific Dukes regimental history to find out more about what happened on the 21st. The only certitude is that they were manning trenches north of Hooge, a vile place at this time and under constant bombardment. Hope this helps.

here is something for Bob. A lieutenants tunic for the 7th East Yorkshires with 17th Division badges.

the cap

post-831-1155056890.jpg

post-831-1155056951.jpg

dear pal bob anything on the 6th dorsets on the 13. 4. 17. in arras my grandad e tristram and j wilcks died that day IN ARRAS by a shell .thanks tom.

Tom,

50th Brigade was on the south side of the Scarpe pushing forward as far as the bridge across the river at Roeux.

The Brigadier sent the Dorsets forward to sieze the crest of a spur east of Lone Copse.

The Dorsets won the crest with little opposition and began to consolidate there.

Battalion was later in the day withdrawn as it was deemed that they were in to exposed a position on the crest.

Hope this is of some help.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Any chance of a look up please on the 10th West Yorks, and the actions they were involved in around Xmas 1915.? I have a few lads killed during this period.

Much Appreciated,

Dave

not Bob, but might be of some help. The 17th division, of which the 10th west Yorks were a part (50th Bde) were in trenches near Hooge around Christmas 1915.