Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Passchendaele': world famous?

greatspywar

hello everybody,

Not so long ago I got an email from someboy who noticed a memorial plaque in a New Zealand railway station which was titled "Passchendaele". I was wondering if there were any other places that are called Passchendaele. I heard the story of farm as well in Australia. Is passchendaele widley known in railwaystations, monuments, farms, houses, streets, lanes, buildings, lakes, mountains, trains, planes, parks etc etc etc, or is it an exception? And what about Ypres, Zonnebeke, Broodseinde, Poelcappelle, Menin Road etc etc etc?

Photos and info can be posted here and of course be send to my email.

Kind regards,

Jan

archives@passchendaele.be

Hi Jan

One of the soldier's I'm researching named his award winning apple & pear orchard 'Zonnebeke'.

John Alexander CATTO, 357, 5th Battalion - won the Military Medal for rescuing wounded comrades under heavy fire in the action near Zonnebeke 4/10/17 - and was promoted to Lieutenant.

On his return to Australia he worked extremely hard transforming a useless piece of land (destroyed by gold diggings) in the Rheola district (country Victoria) into a successful orchard. [He won the 'Columbie Cup' for producing & selling the best export apples in the State for 3 years in succession 1934-6]

John died in 1972 at the age of 81.

[Have heaps of other info if you're interested]

Cheers, Frev

Hi Frev, Sounds very interesting. Is it still named today? Can you send me more info en poss. some pics?

jan

The Territorial Army centre in Macclesfield was named Ypres Barracks and the Canadian Regiment barracks in Ontario are in Menin Rd. No doubt there are many others.

There seemsto be a "Passchendaele road " in Sorrento...Canada I suppose?

Marnik

Sorrento BIA - Annual Community Auction

April 22, 2006

Doors open 5:30 PM, Auction at 7:00 PM

Sorrento Memorial Hall

1148 Passchendaele Road, Sorrento BC

There's also a "Passchendaele State Forest" in Queensland - Australia.

Any pals from downunder can give some info about this?

Regards,

Marnik

Woohoo! Fascinating stuff that pops up here! Can any of you send me photos of the streets and the nameplaques or some more info on when they were named etc...?

This is absolutley impressing!

Thanks fellows!

Jan

Frev - Rheola is an area near Neath in Wales. I wonder if some Welsh emigrants were stuck for names in Oz?!

Bernard

Hi Jan,

Many male children born in the UK circa 1915-19 were given middle names such as 'Loos' 'Verdun' 'Somme', but I personally never came across a 'Passchendaele'

A

DUNEDIN RAILWAY STATION

Beside the main entrance is the foundation stone and the Passchendaele Plaque which was carried on locomotive Ab608 as a memorial to railwaymen who died for their country in the Great War of 1914-18.

Somebody who can find a photo af this loco?

post-11745-1151263487.gif

DUNEDIN RAILWAY STATION

Beside the main entrance is the foundation stone and the Passchendaele Plaque which was carried on locomotive Ab608 as a memorial to railwaymen who died for their country in the Great War of 1914-18.

Somebody who can find a photo af this loco?

Some technical info but no picture

New Zealand Railways No. Ab608 "Passchendaele" 4-6-2

Paekakariki, Wellington

Marnik

I found a photo

Also stored at Ferrymead for a long time was the first Ab, number 608. This is reputed to be the first production locomotive in the world to achieve 1 draw bar Horsepower for every 100 lbs of engine weight, which was achieved in tests in 1917. I understand that the Ab's record was not beaten until the 30's by a French loco design. Ab608 was the largest named loco in NZR service. It was named "Passchendaele" in honour of NZGR Employees killed in the First World War. This loco has been moved to the North Island for restoration.

I found a photo

Also stored at Ferrymead for a long time was the first Ab, number 608. This is reputed to be the first production locomotive in the world to achieve 1 draw bar Horsepower for every 100 lbs of engine weight, which was achieved in tests in 1917. I understand that the Ab's record was not beaten until the 30's by a French loco design. Ab608 was the largest named loco in NZR service. It was named "Passchendaele" in honour of NZGR Employees killed in the First World War. This loco has been moved to the North Island for restoration.

post-11745-1151264080.jpg

Hello,

I have got a photo of the memorial Plaque Passchendaele inside the railwaystation:

Hello,

I have got a photo of the memorial Plaque Passchendaele inside the railwaystation:

The garrison town of Colchester in Essex has:

Aisne Road

Arras Road

Cambrai Road

Goojerat Road (Pre WW1)

Le Cateau Road

Marne Road

Menin Road

Messines Road

Mons Road

Somme Road

Poperinghe Road

Tobruk Road (WW2)

Ypres Road

I lived in Colchester for a while but I believe these roads are all within garrison limits. The list above may not be exhaustive but I couldn't find a Passchendaele Road there when I did a Google search (although I did find the road that Marnik has indicated).

Paul

Can anyone bring me in contact with sombody involved in the locomotive restauration project? I'd like to have more info... .

Kind regards,

jan

Thanks Marnik.

Does anyone els have info on Passchendaele and other 'toponomical' (I'm unsure about the correct English word) references in the world. I'd love to hear from you!

Kind regards,

Jan

Frev - Rheola is an area near Neath in Wales. I wonder if some Welsh emigrants were stuck for names in Oz?!

Bernard

Bernard - I think you'll find that a lot of places in Australia are named after places in the British Isles. Not sure about the earlier settlers around Rheola, but some of my Welsh forebears settled in nearby Newbridge.

Cheers, Frev

Hi Frev, Sounds very interesting. Is it still named today? Can you send me more info en poss. some pics?

jan

Hi Jan - haven't checked out whether 'Zonnebeke' is still named so today - it would probably depend on whether any of John Catto's descendants carried it on after his death in 1972. Will look into it ...... eventually! So, don't have any photos of the orchard (or it's name) - but have a photo of John (in uniform) if that's of interest. Will send it with my research just incase.

Cheers, Frev

Hi Frev,

Mails received. Interesting research. I have just finished marking the trench map with the appro area for your great uncle. It's about 750 yards from the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917... . Maps will be send your way as soon as I have you address.

I look forward to the info on Zonnebeke.

best wishes,

Jan

Excellent! Is there any more info on the street available? Are the streets surounding Menin Road named afer battles/wars as well?

super!

Kind regards,

Jan