Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2,000 files in Passchendaele Archives!

greatspywar

Hello everybody,

We already have collected 2,091 files for our Passchendaele Archives project. You can still contribute by sending details on your ancester to archives@passchendaele.be . If you have a roll of honour or a book with Passchendaele (Third Ypres) casualties in, please let me know!

Kind regards,

Jan

Hi Jan

My great Uncle was killed in the Passchendaele campaign - in the Battle of Broodseinde Ridge 4/10/1917 - will email you his story & photos (as soon as I sort out the bugs in this new computer!!!). Unfortunately the photos are already incorporated in the document - and due to various changes of computers over the years - can't find the original scans (a relative has the original photos - not me - so hope they'll be okay)

Cheers, Frev

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

In the meanwhile we have collected 2,173 files with photo. There is still plenty of place in our archive. So, if you have a familymember who died at Third Ypres, please let me know. IF you have a Roll of Honour with photos please let me know. If you know somebody who has got a relative who was killed at the Battle of Passchendaele, please be in touch. In a lot of case we can provide you with a map with the approximate area where your relative was killed or mortally wounded.

btw: are there any journalists in here? Please contact me by email (below).

Kind regards from sunny Zonnebeke B)

Jan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2,590 files in our Archives.

If you have any photos of men killed at Passchendaele, please contact me in the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917

archives@passchendaele.be

We can help you with your research on Passchendaele.

regards,

Jan

• 2 months later...

Jan, please excuse my ignorance of geography.

Could someone buried at Wimeraux cemetery possibly have been fighting at Passchendaele, or is the distance too great? If it is possible, I have information on the following man: Edward Brindal

Allie

Hi Allie,

I think Wimereux was a hospital, so I would not be unusual for men being wounded in Flanders - Passchendaele - to have died of wounds in France. So far I have 13 men who are buried at Wimereux, so please send in the details on your man!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Jan

• 9 months later...

I have the medals (BWM & VM) of a man who was injured on the 12th October 1917; he recieved his injury whilst attacking Requect Farm, does this fall into your criteria?

Sadly there isn't a photo and only brief details of his service.

Jan,

I have quite a few school/college memorial books if you need images from them.

Andy

Jan,

This is daft but remind me of the dates again, i may have a few more for you

• Admin

Hi Jan

I see that Ernest Serls isn't on the list yet, I sent you the form I am sure.

Regards, Michelle

Hi all,

I am back from gone away :-)

Serls is on my working list, He will be online as soon as the list is updated again on our site (might take some time)

the dates are: July 12th till November 15th 1917

sorry, only men who died and of whom a photo is available.

If you have photos please send them through via e-mail: archives@passchendaele.be

all the best and thanks!!!

Jan

Tyne Cot

2nd Lieutenant Walter Ernest Grew

2nd lieutenant William Arthur Imber

Captain Alfred Ernest Mander

Lieutenant Sidney George Wolfe

I have the above men from Bablake school, coventry

Parnell, Henry Walter. 221513 "A" Battery 103rd Brigade Acting/Bombardier . Royal field Artillery. Born 23rd December 1892 at Coventry; resided at York Minsterl Musician at York Minster. Killed in action Ypres 20th August 1917. Remebered Tyne Cot Memorial

Kimberley, Harry Edward. Private. 2nd/4th Battalion Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry killed in action age 24 on the 22nd August 1917. Husband of Florence Lily Kimberley, of 3,Court 2, House, Union Street, Coventry. Born 8th April 1893, in Gilbert Street; resided at 53, Well Street; Fitter; Enlisted September, 1914. Remembered Tyne Cot memorial

Plaque Number D154

6th Bn France and Flanders 7th August 1915 to 2/4th Bn F & F Panel 96 –98

Pte H.e Kimberley 2/4th oxford and bucks LI has been killed in action. In civil life he was employed by Singer and Co, resided at 53 Well Street, Coventry, was 24 years of age and leaves a widow and one child. He enlisted in september 1914 and had been in france for 19 months. An officer writes that deceased was one of the best men under him, and had he had lived he would have been decorated for gallantry

Walker, Cuthbert William. Private, 21204, 2nd/7th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment killed in action, near St.Julien on the 30th August 1917. Born 5th February, 1898, in Lincolnshire; resided at Wisteria Cottage, Stivichall Common; Miller; Enlisted February, 1917; Remembered Tyne Cot Memorial

Plaque Number F81

Remembered in St James Church, Stylechale along with four other from the Stylechale community.

Berry, Arthur Edwin 16579 Private 1st Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Born 28th April 1894 at 7 George Street; resided at 22 Perkins Street; Clerk. Enlisted February, 1916; killed in action Passchendale 4th October 1917. Son of George W. and Mary Berry, of 22, Perkins Street, Coventry. Remembered Tyne Cot

Plaque Missing

Cheshire, Raymond Russell. Second Lieutenant. 1st/8th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment killed in action near St.Julien, Flanders age 19 on the 4th October 1917. Son of William Woodward Cheshire (retired schoolmaster) and Emma Mary Cheshire of "Rayleigh", 96 Earlsdon Avenue, Coventry. Born 6th April 1898, at handsworth, Birmingham; resided at Coventry; Auctioneer’s Articled pupil. Enlisted in 1916 in the Birmingham O.T.C. Remembered Tyne Cot Memorial

Plaque Number F43

Harvey, Frank. Private. 201737, 1st/5th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment killed in action, Passchendale age 30 on the 4th October 1917. Son of Mrs.Sarah Harvey of Yew Tree Cottage, Whichford, Shipston-on-Stour, Worcs. Born 21st January, 1887 at Whichford; resided at 127, Aldbourne Road; Baker and confectioner. Enlisted Coventry April, 1916. Remembered Tyne Cot Memorial

Plaque Number D161

Peel, Edwin (Edward). Priavte. 19255, 15th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment killed in action, Ypres on the 5th October 1917. Born in 1889, at Gildersome, near Leeds; resided at 219, Sovereign Road; Grocers assistant; Enlisted April 1916. Remembered Tyne Cot Memorial

Plaque Number D77

Windridge, Matthew Lawrence. Private. 2805, 2nd Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment killed in action on 9th October 1917. Born 25th September 1895, at 8, Radford Road; resided at 3, Hill Cross; Butcher; Enlisted August 1914; Remembered Tyne Cot Memorial

Plaque Number E6

Riley, Sydney James. Lance Corporal. G/18219, 7th Battalion, Queens Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) formerly PS/10961 oyal Fusiliers killed in action, Belgium, age 20 on the 12th October 1917. Son of Harry and Elizabeth Riley, of 22, Kensington Road, Coventry. Born 6th April, 1897 at 88 Foleshill Road; resided at 22 Kensington Road; Assistant works manager (textiles); Enlisted April 1916; Buried Poelcapelle and remembered Tyne Cot Memorial

Plaque Number F72

Graphic 16th November 1916. Mr amd Mrs Riley 22 kensington road, coventry have received official notification that their son Sydney James has been killed in action. He was 20 years of age and joined the public school battalion in March 1916, being afterwards transferred to the 7th Royal west kent regiment and made lance corporal.

Previous to joining the colours he was employed for five years at the Franks weaving factory, West Orchard, Coventry had passed all examinations at the Technical Institute and was becoming very useful in the trade. He was a member of well street Sunday school and chapel; also prominent in the Young Mens guild. His many friends will be sorry to her of his death.

Warden, Leonard. Gunner, 118983, "D" Battery, 108th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery killed in action, Passchendale, on the 18th October 1917. Born 1st July 1896, at Coventry; resided at 39 Holyhead Road; Coach Painter; Enlisted November 1915; Remembered Tyne Cot memorial

Adams, Charles Ernest. Gunner; 183957, 35th Brigade Royal Field Artillery who died age 30 on the20th October 1917.Son of Charles and Rose Adams, of 104, Queen's Walk, Peterborough.Husband of Amy Ethel Adams of 50, Northfield Road, Coventry. Born 27th January 1887 at Peterborough; Storekeeper (gasworks), Enlisted November 1916; Killed in action, Ypres. Remembered with Honour Tyne Cot Memorial, Panel 4 to 6 and 162.

Plaque Number B17

Thompson, Albert Charles. Private. 28586, 15th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment killed in action, France age 23 on the 26th October 1917. Son of Albert and Lucy Thompson, of 61, Gordon Street, Butts, Coventry. Born 23rd October 1893, at Coventry; resided at 61, Gordon Street; Lithographic Printer; Enlisted October 1915; Remembered Tyne cot Cemetery

Plaque Number D109

Warner, Eric Charles Durrant. Private. 68100, "A" Company, 7th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers formerly 7957 2/5th Royal West Surrey Regiment killed in action Passchendale age 20 on the 30th October 1917. Son of William Horne Warner and Elizabeth Warner, of 145 Station Street, East, Coventry. Born 17th January 1897,at Tidings Hill, Halstead, Essex. Resided at 145 Station Street, East ; Clerk; enlisted February 1917; Remembered Tyne Cot Memorial

Plaque Number D105

Pargeter, William Corporal 9860 1st Bn South Wales Borders died 10th November 1917.

Son of Edward and Elizabeth Pargeter; husband of Beatrice Pargeter, of 25, Godiva St., Coventry. Born Staffordshire enlisted Brecon.

Remembered Tyne Cot Memorial

Mrs W.Pargeter 25 Godiva street, Coventry has been officially informed that her husband Col W.Pargeter 9860 1st Bn south wales borders is posted as missing since nOv 11 1917. Any news of W.Pargeter from his comrades would be gratefully received by his wife. He has been wounded three times

Thornett, Albert. Private, 16581, 10th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment killed in action at Wytschaete Ridge, Belgium age 24 on the 10th April 1918. Son of Albert and Elizabeth Thornett, of 10 Drapers Field, Coventry. Born 27th March, 1894, at 10, Drapers Fields; resided at 10, Drapers Fields; Warehouseman; Enlisted BirminghamFebruary 1916;Remembered Tyne Cot Memorial

Plaque Number D12

Left Sub sector Messines sector

At the time the battle commenced the Bn was holding the front line between the Wambeke and the Blauwepootbeek.

Kimberley, Harry Edward. Private. 2nd/4th Battalion Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry killed in action age 24 on the 22nd August 1917. Husband of Florence Lily Kimberley, of 3,Court 2, House, Union Street, Coventry. Born 8th April 1893, in Gilbert Street; resided at 53, Well Street; Fitter; Enlisted September, 1914. Remembered Tyne Cot memorial

Plaque Number D154

6th Bn France and Flanders 7th August 1915 to 2/4th Bn F & F Panel 96 –98

Pte H.e Kimberley 2/4th oxford and bucks LI has been killed in action. In civil life he was employed by Singer and Co, resided at 53 Well Street, Coventry, was 24 years of age and leaves a widow and one child. He enlisted in september 1914 and had been in france for 19 months. An officer writes that deceased was one of the best men under him, and had he had lived he would have been decorated for gallantry

Jan

Five more for you.

Philip Bolton - Pt 31010, 2 coy, New Zealand Machine Gun Corp - Died 04 Oct 1917 - Tyne Cot Memorial

Bernard Tullidge - Captain, Worcestershire Rgt - Died 27 Aug 1917 - Tyne Cot Memorial

Edward New - Pt G/18065, 8th Bn, Queens Royal West Surrey - Died 31 July 1917 - Menin Gate

Thomas O'Farrell - A/Cpl 32784, Hampshire Rgt - Died 17 Sept 1917 - Tyne Cot Memorial

Alfred Spong - Pt L/10684, 8th Bn, Queens Royal West Surrey - Died 03 Aug 1917 - Menin Gate

More details on these men and the memorial on my website:

www.freewebs.com/addlestonegreatwardead

Please be kind enough to contact me should you find further info on any of these men

Best wishes with the project

Andy