Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

EDITH CAVELL

chris basey

Myrtle

Is there a Cavell connection with the window?

Chris

I included the photograph of the windows to give an idea of where the Edith Cavell plaque is placed within the church, as I don't have a photograph of the whole wall. The very large windows are above the three plaques. The Edith Cavell plaque is on the left, the Mr & Mrs Pond one, in the middle and the Kitchener one on the right. These three plaques are placed above a doorway central to the wall.

The window depicts soldiers from the "overseas dominions". Top left to right. Canada, Australia, South Africa and below left to right, India, New Zealand and an unclear one which appears to read Maori.

Jim

It is a very impressive sight.

Myrtle

Myrtle

More examples of the great feelings of patriotism and the admiration for 'Heroes' that surrounded WW1.

All rather looked down on these days which makes it all the more remarkable that the name 'Cavell' still generates interest.

We have a display about her life, death and the aftermath on (until the end of the year) at the Royal Norfolk Regimental Museum. The 90th Aniversary of her death will be marked by a special Remembrance Service at Norwich Cathedral on Saturday 15th October at 11am.

Thank you, again

Regards

Edith Cavell Memorial, Peterborough Cathedral

All The Best

Chris

post-4020-1127154371.jpg

• 8 years later...

In the last episode of The Crimson Field on BBC TV, a character suggested that the British Government had not as energetically protested the sentence as it might have done because her death would provide a stimulus to an outraged country to fight the war with renewed vigour.

Is there any basis for this?

(There is absolutely NO need - PLEASE - to mention TCF again in this thread; it already has its own - as if you didn't know.)

Moonraker

In the last episode of The Crimson Field on BBC TV, a character suggested that the British Government had not as energetically protested the sentence as it might have done because her death would provide a stimulus to an outraged country to fight the war with renewed vigour.

Is there any basis for this?

I have certainly never heard any suggestion, on TCF or otherwise, that the British government ever "protested the sentence" on Edith Cavell. The degree to which the government protested against the sentence might be open to question, but that it is an entirely different matter. Let us not confuse the issue.

Ah! I can see where you're coming from, MagnumBellum, as "protested the sentence" is ambiguous. It can mean to solemnly affirm; my version of the Oxford Dictionary gives this as the secondary meaning, giving primacy to "make a protest against", advising that in this sense the verb "protest" is usually followed by "against", "at", and "about", though another edition apparently recognises "protest" on its own as sufficing.

Steve Marsdin has rather better expressed my point for me: "One point that Moonraker has made ... is the opinion expressed by the sympathetic hospital commander that Edith Cavell perhaps could have been saved if the British Government had objected and protested more strongly to the Germans before her execution." Thanks, Steve!

Moonraker