Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Le Tommy " Closed Down for 1st July !

ianw

poor old Domi must be hopping mad, all that hard work for nothing, he'll still be expected to pay his charges and taxes though. I think his forced closure is absolutely disgusting.

he would have been in restriction aera he knew this for a start

main road Bapaume-Albert is not close , coaches can park on bazentin road and could drop their passagers.

and even without coaches i am sure he would have done a reasonable bussiness after thiepval ceremonie and in the evening it is one of the only spot you can drop on the Somme.

it was his own decision no one has forced him to close

anyway there are insurance to cover the lost of money if you can't run your business for any reason

all you need is to have one.

maybe it is the option he has choosen!!!!!!

Is there more to this than we were led to believe? What are the facts? Was he forced to close or not?

Mick

I would have thought that the amount of work he has done to his place over the last year he must have beenn expecting a good 1st July. Hope he does well.

Tony

Although we do have a history of losing royals in France I suppose.

Mick

Not enough of them in my book......

Seriously though it is typical of the way that royalty and other celebs are insulated from the real world. Chuck Battenberg has no interest in the Somme or in WW1 in general. Some politician decides that it would be a "good idea" to attend the 90th anniversary, so the great and the good and their assorted hangers on, parasites and heavies decamp for France to the detriment of everyone else's enjoyment and feelings. but as was pointed out in an earlier pos - priviledge. If you build a society based on unending deference to those whose only claim is that one of their female ancestors got friendly with Charles 1st what do you expect.

Rant over

Chris C

Is there more to this than we were led to believe? What are the facts? Was he forced to close or not?

Mick

he was not force to close down he choose this option

he was not force to close down he choose this option

Thank you. That may have become another myth of the Somme battlefields.

Mick

Amazing.

He is not telling the truth on his website.

Doesn't he want to make money?

Shark :

I do not understand this and you seem to have some inside knowledge?

Why would a business man with the potential to make a lot of money on 1st July decide not to open?

Much money has been spent over last few months on his bar and he would need to repay any money spent on this extension etc?

Can you give us a reason why he has decided to shut?

Tony

I'm not sure what the thrust of this thread is. Is it the principle of the matter, that he is being forced to close, against his will and thereby losing money, or is it simply another opportunity to have dig at the Royal Family?

I'm not going, as I don't want to be a part of a huge crowd. I'd rather go when it's quiet, when I can walk where I want to, when I want to and reflect in the peace and tranquility of the area on what's gone before.

And as for the premises under discussion, am I the only one who finds the place grotty and the staff unfriendly? I've been there on a number of occasions, but only when there isn't any other alternative.

Pals.

A sorry and sad state of affairs is'nt it. Such an important weekend for us all. Many of us have been so looking forward to this, visiting various sites that have a deep personal meaning to many of us. To say that the whole mess is a great disapointment is an understatement at the least.

To those of you that still fully intend to be there on the day, take care, good luck and let us know of your individual experiences, good or bad.

I am going to curtail my intended personal itenarary and visit my chosen sites straight from Calais AM Thursday Morning if I can, then head upto Ypres until Monday, i'm gutted.

Terry W.

:angry:

Grotty & unfriendly they may be BUT they do feed a lot of people and the cancellation of some 540 breakfasts on 1 July, and the feeding of thousands (some pre-booked so far as I know) during the rest of the days is to be deplored.

Especially if Dominique is playing some form of game.

Only been in once in 10 years. say no more.

And as for the premises under discussion, am I the only one who finds the place grotty and the staff unfriendly?

No, you're not.

Been in twice. The second time just to check that I hadnt picked a bad day on my first visit. I hadnt.

John

I don't like it either BUT personal feelings aside, the whole episode leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

Most of us I assume have 'been there, seen it, done it' or words to that effect but a lot of innocent people may have been inconvenienced though of course it is up to their guides, if they have one, to sort it out.

The place is not the same as it used to be 5 years ago when it had a good atmosphere but it has gone "commercial"

We have often sat down with Dominic and his wife until 1-00am over a bottle discussing the area but those days seem to have gone. Shame but he has a business to run.

Tony

I would certainly agree that "grotty" is a not too innacurate word to describe Le Tommy. It has a lot of the transport cafe about it - but it remains an important focus. Many would describe it as "honest" and "with rough edges". It's heart is in the right place though IMHO.

been going in for more years than i can remember, since dominic took it over it has greatly improved! I will miss my 1st July afternoon drink in there but hey I'll find somewhere else!

Mandy, if I can get from A to B without being arrested that is.