Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Le Tommy " Closed Down for 1st July !

ianw

Dominique at Le Tommy has announced on his website that he has been closed down as part of the security/traffic control arrangements. It would appear he is now closing for the week .

It would seem that the 500 plus 1st July breakfasts he has booked and 2500 other meals are now under threat although he is looking to make other arrangements - but it really is short notice.

Hell, Le Tommy is almost as important on 1st July as the various ceremonies and it's closure will impact many people's enjoyment of the day hugely. How sad.

Beat me to it Ian. I was still trying to translate the latest news on the Cafe du tommy website.

Sad, I was looking forward to meeting other Forum Pals there for a chat.

Terry

Terry - yes quite agree. It's a social club for us all.

I understand that he has not been singled out and that other restaurants in Authuille have been closed. The status of the Authuille camp-site is also under review. Seems it may be closed.

This is really really ridiculous. Beyond parody

Mick

I think Dominique has banned local officials from Le Tommy in retaliation !

Seriously, I hope folk planning to eat there can be catered for elsewhere but notice of the closure does seem very late.

Charles , Camilla, The Duke of Gloucester et al will have a lovely time but the average Joe will have a struggle this year.

Its strange that when something that ordinary oiks care about they are pushed to one side as the toffs must have their day. Pity the same was not the case in 1916 and the tommies were able to stay away for the day and let the brass and toffs get it on. Gareth

Closed for the week!!!! Like the rest of you have said the Tommy is part of the 1st July and where am I going to eat and drink for the week?

Hope this can be sorted out, and quickly. Perhaps a letter to Charles might help us what do you think Guys?

Mandy

It's not only local officials who are banned from "Le Tommy"

....me and my freinds from work are banned aswell.

....What have we done?

....Dawn

its always the way. I would of thought that of all the places where equality reigns rather than the priviliged it would be there. But while we still have those who still believe in worshipping people born to privilige, perhaps with a little hope that they might even get one of those awards that toilet cleaners get, then theres no hope for us little people. Time for a few letters to the papers.

One of the things that really worries me is that us lot are prepared, what about those people that don't access the forum, dont look at the relevent websites and are just going to turn up? I have seen nothing in the national press about this.

Mick

Mick - yes there's the question of whether all the visiting coaches now have their British Legion permits, in addition to where those who were going to use Le Tommy for refreshments will now go - loads of pressure on Avril's services at Auchonvillers - if you can get there !

I have to say I'm glad I cancelled - but I would still really love to go to the Serre ceremony in the evening !

Totally speechless, madness.

Andy

All last week you could see the preperations for the 1st July, Albert, Newfoundland Park, Thiepval, the crater at la Boisselle were all having a new lease of life(knee deep in chalk). As others have said, in previous years it has been a struggle to visit some of these sites by those who have a true and real interest in what happend over 90 years ago. Whose bars and caffes we visit and try to support annually, now being shut for these few days for the pleasure of some, who would never, never give the time of day to support such places.

Hwyl

Kevin

Closing Tommy's for a week? That's a heavy price to pay for a monarchy.

poor old Domi must be hopping mad, all that hard work for nothing, he'll still be expected to pay his charges and taxes though. I think his forced closure is absolutely disgusting.

who will pay for his lost earnings over the closure! I know who it won't be!

Mandy

Try emailing Buck Pal.

I did this morning BUT have mislaid the text of what I said.

Doesn't he live officially at Clarence House ? Short of cancelling what can Charles do ? Full helicopter travel could have helped a bit but I suppose they would then look like they were running scared and French national pride would never countenance being perceived as not being able to afford protection on their own soil.

I have a orrible feeling about all this.

It's my first time too.

These developments - and they seem to be vastly out of proportion - are going to cause huge disruption.

Is it also fair to say that they are changing almost daily for the worse?

I really am sorry about all this nonsense, and very sorry indeed for those who are going, and who now must be very worried. Also sorry for those trying to earn a living.

I find it very depressing that arrangements can still be being ad libbed at this late stage [its that, or the info. is being released very late].

One thing I believe, and that is that the VIPs will take no pleasure at all in the problems caused to ordinary folk by these high-handed and authoritarian arrangements.

I like to think it couldn't happen here, but ..........

Just glad I never intended to go.

I don't think the people this is down to have any concept of real life or the aggravation caused let alone worry about the affect this has on us.

Although we do have a history of losing royals in France I suppose.

Mick

French security has no doubt been told that no risk of anything happening to Charles must be tolerated and damn the consequences for the innocent visitor. All sorts of heavies in mirror shades and v. short haircuts will be on the job. France does have a reputation for heavy-handed security and they will be pulling out all the stops on 1st July ! Let's hope they don't irritate their orange equivalents from NI too much ! Could be interesting.

I can find only this on the Prince of Wales' website:

Media enquiries

Media enquiries relating to The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William or Prince Harry should be directed to:

Clarence House Press Office

Clarence House

London

SW1A 1BA

Tel: (+44) (0)20 7930 4832

No email. website:

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/index.html

Kath.

my wife and i (dawn) have been for a day trip to england

as i recommended somebody of the CDT to communicate using the ferry companies and shuttle

i was expected to find something about the restrictions of the 1st of july on the Boat.

i also eared that the CDT has not received any plan yet from the sous prefet to add on their web site.

what a surprise!!!!

Letters to the press might stir things up a bit.

Try:

dtletters@telegraph.co.uk

letters@thetimes.co.uk

news@the-sun.co.uk

expressletters@express.co.uk

letters@dailymail.co.uk

letters@guardian.co.uk

Good luck!

Martin