Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Action near Delville Wood - 15 Sep 1916

Guest Tony Machin

Tony - If you are a member of the WFA you can speak to them about getting a copy. However, I'm pretty sure one of the Forum will be able to send you in the right direction.

Tony - I've just looked through Chris McCarthy's book, The Somme, the Day-by-Day Account and found on pages 106-107 a map entitled: The Somme, 1916. Battle of Flers-Courcelette 15th - 22nd September. I wouldn't say it is 'detailed' but it is an official map and shows where all the Brigades were from Thiepval through to Combles.

It shows the 43rd Brigade opposite Pilsen Lane to the SE of Delville Wood with the 41st Brigade to their left and the 1st Guards Brigade to their right.

Hope this is of some help.

Hi there

Trevor Piidgeon's excellent book "The Tanks at Flers" has a section of detailed maps showing tank movements with each division on 15 September, 1916.

On Map No.9 "The tanks with the 14th Division" he has marked the positions of Two Companies of the 6th KOYLI's ("W" and "X") before they attacked at 05:20 a.m. One company was positioned along a trench known as Pilsen Lane (T13 a 0.0. to T13 a 0.4) facing another trench called Haymarket. The other company started from the eastern edge of Delville Wood from Hop Alley to Haymarket (S13 b 9. 4. to S13 b 10. 6.)

In Ray Westlake's book "British Battalions on the Somme" the following is taken:-

" W and X Companies (attached to 41st Brigade) attacked east of Delville Wood at 05:20 - came under fire from rear after crossing Ale Alley. All officers lost - what remained of the companies under their NCO's turned back and with bomb and bayonet dealt with their attackers. Later advanced and into Switch Trench.

Y and Z companies in attack on Gird Lines in front of Gueudecourt, 16 Septemeber."

I can scan map and e-mail to you if needed.

Ta Ta

Terry