The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Graves

Steven Broomfield

Thank you. Rather impressive.

17 hours ago, FionaY said:

IMG_0268.jpeg.025204b63028288bed5f4f2d88bfac60.jpeg 

Hi Fiona – and welcome to the forum

Thank you so much for sharing the Photo of the Memorial to the Australian soldiers in St Mary’s Church.  I have to admit that I hadn’t been aware of its existence.  I finally had the chance to visit my Great Uncle’s grave in the churchyard in 2014 (the only member of the family to do so!).  It was such an emotional visit, that I didn’t even think to go into the church – I could kick myself!!

I notice there’s also a Lucas on the Memorial to the men of Harefield…hmmm….

My G/Uncle’s story: https://www.greatwarforum.org/blogs/entry/1626-flowers-for-remembrance/

Cheers, Frev

Hello Steven and Frev

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum and I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

I was in Harefield a couple of years ago and happened to come across some of the craftsmen from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission working in the Cemetery. As stated in one of the previous posts, the Harefield headstones have a very distinctive style not found elsewhere. Some of them have original metal lettering and some are carved. It was really interesting to see the CWG at work - cleaning and making sure the stones are stable, as well as some carving to bring out names etched long ago and to slightly alter the text on a couple of the memorials. I returned a couple of weeks later and the cemetery looked wonderful!

Frev - I really enjoyed the biography of your great Uncle and have included a photograph of his headstone below

bw, Fiona Young

IMG_9883.jpg

IMG_9781.jpg

IMG_9904.jpg

Thank you for sharing the 'spruced up' version of Percy's headstone Fiona - the lettering is much clearer than when I was there.

The CWGC staff really do do a great job.

Cheers, Frev

• 4 weeks later...

Good Morning Frev

I was re-reading your biography of Percy Lucas and noticed that he passed away at Harefield Hospital this week in 1918. I have a facebook page where I put up items about Harefield and the Anzacs and I was wondering whether I could use his photograph in a post this weekend. I found it very poignant that he died after the Armistice and from the flu, as so many soldiers in Harefield did.

best wishes

Fiona

On 11/12/2020 at 21:26, FionaY said:

Good Morning Frev

I was re-reading your biography of Percy Lucas and noticed that he passed away at Harefield Hospital this week in 1918. I have a facebook page where I put up items about Harefield and the Anzacs and I was wondering whether I could use his photograph in a post this weekend. I found it very poignant that he died after the Armistice and from the flu, as so many soldiers in Harefield did.

best wishes

Fiona

Sorry if this is a bit late Fiona (weekend's nearly over here!) - but yes, of course!

Hi Frev - that's great, thank you very much.  I'm trying to write something about the effect of the Spanish flu epidemic in 1918/1919 and Harefield Hospital. (see Facebook, Harefield and the Anzacs). Quite a number of soldiers at Harefield Hospital died as you know, and it is always fitting to put a face to a name. 

best wishes

Fiona