Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut Walter Larmond Scott DSC

Codders

Hi Guys and Gals

Can anyone help me with this entry I found on the CWGC site, Walter was my wifes 1st Cousin:

In Memory of

Lieutenant WALTER LARMOND SCOTT DSC

"Q20", H.M.S. "Q20.", Royal Naval Reserve

who died on 29 March 1917

I have googled it for hours and spent ages on the London Gazette withouth any luck. I have also looked at the sites that have been mentioned in previous posts about Q Ships with no luck either

John

Howdon

Wallsend

Is this the same man, I wonder?

London Gazette 19-2-1915

Admiralty, 13th Febtuary, 1915

The following Memorandum has been furnished by the Admiral Commanding the East Coast Minesweepers, detailing the recent mine-sweeping operations off Scarborough. From the 19th to the 31st December sweeping operations were conducted by the East Coast Mine sweepers with the object of clearing the minefield which had been laid by the enemy off Scarborough. At the beginning there was no indication of the position of the mines, although owing to losses of passing merchant ships it was known that a minefield had been laid. In order to ascertain how the mines lay it was necessary to work at all times of tide with a consequent large increase in the element of danger. The following officers are specially noticed for their services during the operations —

Sub-Lieutenant W. L. Scott, R.N.R.,

Drifter " Principal," went alongside the Trawler " Garmo " in a,dinghy to rescue a man at considerable risk to himself and his boat, as the vessel was floating nearly vertical at the time, with only the forecastle above water. She turned completely over and sank a few minutes after he left her.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

London GAzette 18-5-1915

Royal Naval Reserve.

In accordance with the provisions of His Majesty's Order in Council of 16th December, 1912, temporary commissions in the Royal Naval Reserve have been issued as follows: —

LIEUTENANTS.

Walter Larmond Scott.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

Thanks a lot guys for that information.

On his DSC award there is no commendation so I presume (probably wrongly) that it was because of the nature of the duties on the Q Ships.

I did find this reference in the National Archives:

Admiralty: Historical Section: Records used for Official History, First World War ADM 137/3168

Collision between H.M.S. Q.20 and s.s. TAINUI . Collision between H.M.S. Q.20 and s.s. TAINUI Admiralty: Historical Section: Records used for Official History, First World War The National Archives, Kew

Date range: 1917 - 1919.

Source: The Catalogue of The National Archives

Also I did a search purely on q-20 and on http://www.naval-history.net/ it told me that Q-20 was called the Bayard.

BAYARD, special service ship/Q-ship, lost 1917, June 29, British Isles (3 months after Walters Death)

The only BAYARD I can find is an American Destroyer, obviously not the right one. so if anyone else out there can help me with the BAYARD I would be extremely grateful

According to most sources the number Q20 was not allocated, but British Minor Warship Losses 1914-1918 has:

Q20 - see Bayard

and

Bayard - special service ship/Q-ship, lost 1917, 29 June, British Isles

The month doesn't agree, but the day does, so this may be the right ship, but with an error in the date (assuming the CWGC date is right).

The Olsen Line sold an 1897-built 1000 ton steamer called Bayard in 1915.

I am now investigating further via another source and will post findings later.

Mick

According to most sources the number Q20 was not allocated, but British Minor Warship Losses 1914-1918 has:

Q20 - see Bayard

and

Bayard - special service ship/Q-ship, lost 1917, 29 June, British Isles

The month doesn't agree, but the day does, so this may be the right ship, but with an error in the date (assuming the CWGC date is right).

The Olsen Line sold an 1897-built 1000 ton steamer called Bayard in 1915.

I am now investigating further via another source and will post findings later.

Mick

Mick,

Bristish Vessels Lost at Sea 1914-18 has the loss of Bayard -- of 220 tons -- as sunk on June 29, 1917 by collision in the English Channel. So, no, the Olson Line Bayard isn't the vessel at issue. (That ship remained Norwegian flagged until 1936, then became the Finnish Anna and was lost in 1959.

BVLAS should be regarded as presumptively correct unless contradicted by primary source documents. At this stage, we have not established under what circumstances Lt. Scott died, so I would not assume it's tied to the collision and loss of Bayard.

Best wishes,

Michael

Hello John,

the following is from "Naval Staff Monographs, Home waters":

It was she (U 85) and UC 66 that on March 11, at 4.45 a.m., off Newhaven, i.e. in about 50°40'N-00°08'E, opened fire on the small "Q" ship, the "Bayard" (Q.20), a lugger fitted with a motor and armed with one 13-pdr. and one 3-pdr. Q.20 was on a course S.E. when a submarine on the starboard quarter opened fire. A few minutes later another on the port beam opened fire. The wind seems to have been about S.W., and bringing the ship round to N.W., Lieutenant Walter Scott, R.N.R., sighted a submarine close on the port quarter. The order was given to get the boats out. The submarine was brought on the port beam, and at a range of only about 75 to 100 yards, Q.20 opened fire. The submarine returned the fire immediately, and a shell struck the ship, wounding two men. Down went the submarine, but four rounds were got off from each gun. Two explosions were seen (note: second and third shot of 13-pdr.) in the submarine, which was about 200 - 250 feet long. H.M.S. "Forester" came steaming up and cruised round about while Q.20, which was badly holed, made for land.

For this action GBP 200 was awarded to the ship; Lieutenant Walter L. Scott, D.S.C., R.N.R., was awarded a bar to his D.S.C.; Skipper Joseph Cowley received the D.S.C. and two seamen a D.S.M. Lieutenant Scott never received his in person, for Q.20 was sunk in collision on March 29 (note: C-in-C Portsmouth, Telegram 580 of March 29, 1917. The date June 26, 1917, in Navy Losses is an error); her captain and twelve men were drowned and the bar to his decoration had to be presented to his widow.

I'm sure this answers some of your questions :)

Comment from me: The only submarine involved was UC 66 (Oblt.z.S. Pustkuchen), she was not damaged at all !

Oliver Lörscher

I'm sure this answers some of your questions :)

Certainly answers mine - well done, and thanks Oliver.

Mick

It also answers most of mine, although I didnt know Walter had married so will have to trace the marriage now.

Oliver, you also said he received a bar to his dsc, I did not know that, I only knew about the one he received in early part of 1916. I have searched the London Gazette but with no luck, although there were 2 editions that wouldnt load.

Thanks very much everybody for all this great help

John

Have you tried looking in ADM 12 for references to WL SCOTT? That may give more references to about his awards.

Hi John

Thought you may be interested in the following snippet from 'Q-Ships by Carson Richie'.

We are able to reconstitute the wardrobe of the Q- officers and men in some detail because of the claims sent in for damages on the occasion of a disaster which involved a sailing Q-ship, the lugger BAYARD. The Q-20, as BAYARD was also known, was run down in the dark by s.s.TAINUI ON 29th March 1917. As the TAINUI was a civilian vessel and was held to have been resposible by the court of inquiry, claims for compensation were made.

That put forward by the relatives of the Commander, Lieutenant W. L. Scott, RNR., D.S.C., comprised the followin kit;

3 suits of private clothes; 4 suits of underclothes; 3 pairs boots; 1 pair thigh boots; 1 pair knee boots; 1 half dozen flannel shirts; 1 half dozen white shirts; 1 dressing gown; 1 bridge coat; 1 overcoat; 1 oilskin coat; 2pairs shoes; 3 white sweaters; 1 dozen pair of socks; 2pair of stockings; 3 dozen hankerchiefs; 2 dozen collars; 1 wrist watch; 1 diamond ring; 1 suit case; 1 pair cufflinks' 1 sextant; 1 pair binoculars; 1 Masonic apron; 1 silver mounted walking stick (presentation); 1 velours hat.

The value of the late lieutenant's kit amounted to £102 6s 6d.

Regards

John

Hello

For your information, here is the list of those who died on Q 20. Please note, one of those lost on the day of the sinking served under an alias and another man died of injuries.

BAILEY PERCIVAL R.A. O/TELEGRAPHIST J 35282 (Dev) 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

COOK ALFRED T. DECK HAND, RNR D A 7823 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

HAMBLIN HERBERT H. A.B. J 3788 (Po) 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

HINTON WILLIAM T. A.B. J 14581 (Po) 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

KELLY JOSEPH H. 2nd HAND, RNR D A 2882 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

LOCKEY HARRY DECK HAND, RNR D A 2689 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

POWER JOHN J. SEAMAN, Newfoundland RNR X 2275 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

RANKIN ALEXANDER DECK HAND, RNR S D 449 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

SCOTT WALTER L. TY/LT, RNR 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

STEWART JAMES B. O/SIGNALMAN J 29093 (Po) 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

SWAN SIDNEY T. DECK HAND, RNR D A 4629 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

TAYLOR ALFRED DECK HAND, RNR S D 3081 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS Alias WILLOWS, ALFRED

TETHER LUKE DECK HAND, RNR D A 10422 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

TURNBULL HUGH P.MacL. A.B. J 13908 (Po) 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

WATSON HENRY R.H. A/E.R.A. 4c M 19435 (Po) 29/03/17 SHIP LOSS

MARJORAM PERCY J. DECK HAND, RNR D A 8590 10/04/17 DIED OF WOUNDS

All best

don

• 9 years later...

Dugald McLellan was a member of Campbeltown Temperance Loyal Orange Lodge number 62 and served on Q20.

The WWI memorial stone and Roll of Honour for this lodge are both now displayed in Olympia House, Glasgow - the HQ of the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland. As you can see, over 160 brethren served in Great War and 17 made the final sacrifice. Unsurprisingly, due to it’s location, many seem to have served in the Navy and a fair few in the Argylls. I haven’t had time to do a full analysis but several of the Navy men are remembered on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial and one is buried in Plymouth Ford Park Cemetery.

Campbeltown%20Orange%20memorial%20stone%
Campbeltown%20orange%20roll%20of%20honou

• 5 years later...

Hi John,

Walter Larmond Scott was my Grandfather and I have a load of information about him.  I live in Sydney, Australia and have the family tree which includes my Grandmother (née Strudwick) Walter’s wife.  Are you still interested in find out more details, if so would love to hear from you. Kind regards, James Scott

39 minutes ago, James Scott said:

Hi John,

Walter Larmond Scott was my Grandfather and I have a load of information about him.  I live in Sydney, Australia and have the family tree which includes my Grandmother (née Strudwick) Walter’s wife.  Are you still interested in find out more details, if so would love to hear from you. Kind regards, James Scott

Hi John,

My email address is

Would love to hear from you. Kind regards, James Scott

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Codders hasn’t visited the forum in 10 years. You can try sending him a private message. Whether he receives it is dependent on him still using the same email address now as he was when he registered on the forum. I’ve removed your email address from your post, as spammers visit and harvest information like that.

Michelle 

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. @Codders hasn’t visited the forum in 10 years. You can try sending him a private message. Whether he receives it is dependent on him still using the same email address now as he was when he registered on the forum. I’ve removed your email address from your post, as spammers visit and harvest information like that.

Michelle 

Hello Michelle, thank you for coming back to me.  I will try to contact John privately.  Kind regards, James