Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier Settlement Scheme

wilkokcl

I'm researching an officer in the RFA who grew up in the UK, served in France 1915-1918 and then lived the rest of his life as a farmer in Kenya ("British East Africa") from about 1919 onwards. Does anyone know if this move would have been related to his military service or was it purely a peacetime move unconnected to the army?

Were soldiers rewarded with jobs in the colonies (I seem to think they were but can't remember where i've seen it) and how did they apply? Any info gratefully received to try and work out how my man made the jump from the UK to Nairobi!

Mark.

Mark - a footnote in Peter Caddick-Adams' "By God they can fight" (history of 143 Bde) sums it up:

"Under a government scheme open to ex-service perosnnel, land in Kenya was given away free of purchase on a 999 year lease for an annual rental. The allotment was made by ballot and selection boards. Only those approved as suitable settlers were allowed to take part in the draw. Sladen (Bde Commander of 143 Bde) was among 1500 settlers who sailed from England in November 1919 on the 'Garth Castle'" (page 201-202, note 27)

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I wonder how you qualified as a "suitable settler". Did military experience or awards come into it? How much money you had? If anyone else has researched this scheme or any individuals who went to live in Kenya or knows of further records in relation to it, i'd love to hear from you.

Or if you live in Kenya and have a particular interest in photographing cemetaries and gravestones, i'd also like to hear from you!

Many thanks,

Mark.

Terry that's exactly what i'm after. How ever did people do research without this wonderful Forum to help them out? I'll contact them right away.

Much appreciated,

Mark.

Warwick University hold a paper on that very subject:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/history...hi152/reading4/

Look under Section F - Idenity, Union and Politics

If you contact them, they may be able to provide you with a copy.

Terry Reeves

In fact I've gone one better than that: accessed the Journal online and downloaded the article in pdf format - a very happy bunny as it's exactly what i've been looking for. Through the internet i've been informed of an article and been able to read it within 2 hours - pretty efficient!

Cheers,

Mark.

I've now had a chance to read the article mentioned above by Terry Reeves and have written a brief summary of it in the book reviews section of the Forum. For those interested, the link to it is here.

Mark.

Terry,

It's an academic journal which seems to only be available on a subscription service. My sister is at university and was able to access the archive at their central library. So I can't post the link as it needs a password etc. Am I able to post the pdf file on to the Forum or will I be in trouble for copyright etc as it's on a subscription service?

Anyone who's interested in seeing it, just let me know.

Mark

Lists of those applying for the Soldier Settlement Scheme were apparently published in the East African Standard on 6 June 1919 and 29 November 1919.

Mark.

• 1 month later...

Ahoj!

Qualifications - my take is that the "appropriate qualifications" ment farming skills/ackground, maybe a family, maybe some money to start up the farm.

Giving farmland to an unmarried penniless cockney is not very productive ...

:)

Borys