Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Baltic"

ackimzey

My great uncle, Grover Carter, was a 1st lieutenant U.S. Army doctor who spent his service attached to the BEF. He left New York on Oct. 9, 1917, stopped in Halifax on Oct. 11, 1917 and landed in Liverpool on Oct. 23, 1917. His description of his passage makes me think he was on a passanger ship and only refers to what I think is the ship's name once. I'm including some passages from his little pocked notebook in case they may help. Can anyone confirm if I am right. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ann

From Grover's notebook:

Oct. 9, 1917 - Went down to the boat. Sure was cold. Got on about 11 a.m. Had dinner at 12:30. Left as eating. Everybody seem to be so happy. I was thinking of Mother & Louise & how bad I hated to leave them. God bless them. Sea was not very rough but boat rocked a good deal at night. I was not sea sick but several were. Slept good after playing cards until about 12.

Oct. 10, 1917 - On sea all day, enjoying myself playing deck games. Saw young lady who resembles Louise & oh! how she makes me long for my girl. Sea fairly smooth. Good nights sleep.

Oct. 11, 1917 - Up early for bath & shave. Saw land about 9 a.m. Landed or anchored at Halifax, Nova Scotia about 10 a.m. Nice harbor & well fortified. Town old & all on edge of harbor. Pretty country, hills & trees green. Not allowed to go ashore so spent the day in roaming the decks & in reading. Good sleep.

Oct. 12, 1917 - Same as day before. Had a dance on upper deck at night. Danced several dances with a Canadian girl who made me long for my Louise. Sure do miss her. Wrote her a letter, also Mother. Slept good

Oct. 14, 1917 - Getting tired of Halifax. Nothing doing all day. Cards & dance at night. Getting ready to leave. Everyone eager. Drew anchor about 3:15 p.m., pulled out about 4:10 p.m. Nine boats in transport. Saw two subs come in the harbor. The boats with us are Scotian, Cherry Leaf, Majestic.

Oct. 15, 1917 - On sea all day. Nothing imp.

Oct. 16, 1917 - Same. Foggy day. Had to sound fog horn all day.

Oct. 17, 1917 - Saw boxing matches in p.m. Also deck contests. Feeling fine.

Oct. 23, 1917 - In Irish Sea. Saw Ireland on right and Scotland on left. Isle of Mann passed. German prisoners interned here. Coast hilly & very barren. 14 days on water. Landed in Liverpool about 6 p.m. To bed early.

Oct. 24, 1917 - Docked early in a.m. Breakfast at 5:45 Cabled Mother & Louise, also mailed letters.

Oct. 29, 1917 - Reported to 50 Pall Mall & was ordered to Dartford War Hospital, Dartford, Eng. Very glad for will be with Glover. Also my roommate on the Baltic [perhaps the name of ship he was sent to England on] Dr. Coulter from Ga. Took train from London 2:35 p.m. Arrived at Dartford 5:30 p.m. Took taxi for Hospt. 5 miles from station. Had tea, met several officials who were very nice. Met several American officers. General conversation after dinner. Lights went out as air raid signal was given. Good sleep.

Hi

Hopefully the same ship that your looking for .......

Length: 725 ft. Beam: 75 ft. GRT: 23,876 t Built: 1903 Harland & Wolff, Belfast, Northern Ireland. Operator: White Star Line Speed: 17 knots. Passengers: 2,875

The RMS Baltic was launched in 1903

The Baltic had an amazing history. Besides at one time being the world's largest ship, it was involved in a famous rescue.

When it was being built, already advertised as the soon to be the world's largest ship, a competitor started building an even larger ship. To make sure the Baltic would be the largest, it was decided to add another frame - another 20 feet. So, when the Baltic was launched, it WAS the world's longest ship. But, adding all the extra weight, combined with using the same engines and rudder design, made for a ship that struggled to make speed, used lots of fuel, and was difficult to steer.

Baltic was the third of White Star's "Big Four" -- Celtic, Cedric and Adriatic were the other three -- put in service in the early years of this century so White Star could provide weekly express service between Liverpool and New York. For reasons unknown, Baltic was always the most popular of these four virtually identical ships.

Historic Rescue...

On January 23rd 1909 she picked up 1260 passengers and crew after a collision between the Liners Republic and Florida. The Baltic rushed to the rescue after getting a message over it's newfangled wireless telegraph. It was the first time the wireless had been used for an S.O.S - which was then known as a C.Q.D. Just an hour away from docking in New York, the Baltic turned around and then landed the survivors at New York the next day. It was an amazing rescue. The radioman on the Republic, Jack Binns, stayed at his telegraph key right until the sea was washing into the radio shack, and was highly regarded as a hero. The passengers on the Republic went by lifeboats to the less damaged Florida, but it was a much smaller ship, and grossly overloaded. In an unprecedented action, all 1260 passengers and crew were ferried by lifeboats to the Baltic when it arrived and taken aboard. It was one of the most dramatic rescues ever - but was overshadowed just 3 years later by the Titanic disaster.

Only 5 people died in the incident. Two passengers on the Republic, and 3 crewmen on the Florida were killed in the collision.

Her next date with history was April 14th 1914. Her radioman sent a wireless message to the Titanic warning of dangerous ice, and that she was forced to reduce speed to a crawl. Too bad the Titanic's Captain and crew didn't pay more attention. In 1915 she began serving as a troopship. She was attacked by a submarine, the UC-66 on April 26th 1917 but suffered no damage. In May of 1917 she carried the first US troops to Europe.

Her final passenger voyage was September 17th 1932. She was sold for scrap in 1933, and set out for Japan where she was broken up.

regards

John

post-2867-1149585382.jpg

Thank you so much for all the information and the picture. I guess since Grover was not part of a regular troop unit, but being sent to join the BEF, it is not unusual that he was sent on a regular ocean liner.

Ann