Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

55th Division 1916-1919

Guest graeme gladwinfield

For any use.. I have a copy of the above divisions book, published 1919 by the liverpool daily post printers

There are also newspaper cutings of a story relating to Stanley Simpson & Herbt Bebbington being Scouts who entered Seclin to announce the Allied advance

Graeme,

In regard to Cambrai does it give any indication as to the communications it had with Corps hq (7th) or 3rd Army as to the german counterattack that was pending.I am interested in General Snow and have been researching him. This in turn has lead me to Jeudwine general officer commanding 1916-18, who i may take up soon.

Ta

Arm

The only mension of communication is on the 30th November and is really stating that communication was not good.

it says

" communication with te battalion was at once attempted but without result, and save for a visual signal message received at 7.43am stating we know nothing yet

nothing more was heard and nothing of that battalion 1/5th south lancs retruned - not one man

I will keep looking

any extra pointers you could give, and date of interest

• 1 month later...

I recall that a history of the South Lancs Regt (Mullaly, I think) had a more detaile - although still sketchy - account. I'll have access to it in a few days and will post more then.

Ste

• 7 months later...

Graeme

I would be interesting in any information your book contains regarding the period of April 1918, with particular reference to 164th Brigade which were serving in the 55th Division

Regards

Will

This book is also available as a reprint by Naval & Military press

• 1 month later...

Graeme,

I would be interested to know if anything is said about the 165th Brigade, particularly 5th King's Liverpool on or just prior to the 8th August 1916.

thanks

Mike

For any use.. I have a copy of the above divisions book, published 1919 by the liverpool daily post printers

There are also newspaper cutings of a story relating to Stanley Simpson & Herbt Bebbington being Scouts who entered Seclin to announce the Allied advance

My late grandfather served with the 2/3 West Lancashire Brigade RFA which I believe became the 55th Division

Name: John Large

Date of Birth: 23/11/1897

Date of Enlistment: 6/4/1915

Army Number: 685759

Regiment Number: 68579

Could you have a look-see and see if there are any references - I have failed thus far to identify any specifics concerning 'where and when' other than he was in France in 1915 and was apparently involved at the Somme.

His medal role entry has proved of no use in helping me here.

Given I can't identify his battery at this stage this is looking more and more hopeless

Regards

Mark