Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cameronian officers August 1914

Terry

On page 89 of John Keegan's book "The First World War An Illustrated History" (2001), there is a nice photograph which shows a conference between the CO, 2i/c, and adjutant of the 1st Scottish Rifles (Cameronians), supposedly just before the Battle of Le Cateau on 25 August,1914.

Do any of the Pals have access to sources (unit history, Army list,etc.) which would tell us exactly who these three officers were? Also, what became of them during the war?

Lt Col. PR Robertson, Capt JC [sam] Stormonth-Darling Adjt., Captain FAC Hamilton and Captain AR [Ronnie] Macallan are named in the photograph as it appears in 'General Jack's Diary'. Extra detail from Army list Aug 1914. Of this group, Hamilton may have been acting as Senior Major [not 2 i/c, which appointment only came in for Service Battalions]. Perhaps a Regimental expert can put me right.

I only know a bit about Scottish Rifles because they served with 2RWF in 19 Brigade.

Mamilton and MacAllan survive [AL Nov 1918], the others need a look-up on CWGC or Soldiers Died. Will do it later if no-one else volunteers

Robertson appears to have survived, Stormonth-Darling died as T/Lt Col, DSO, kia 1 Nov 1916 attached HLI.

This is a monoglue ...... no, no, a monologue

Philip Robertson was a cousin of mine and rose to command the 17th (Northern) Division for the last two years of the war. A very popular commanding officer (vide General Jack's Diary) and Divisional Commander.

Charles M

Thanks, fellows. My reaction on first seeing the photo was that the CO (or at least I assume the CO as he looked much older than the others) could have played the role of the old school British commanding officer in every Hollywood movie ever made!