Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gainsborough Heritage Centre

Solo33

This post is on behalf of our Heritage Centre who are trying to trace two nurses on local War Memorials in North Lincolnshire.

Nurse Dorothy Howell, Blyton War Memorial.

Nurse K Jollands, Misterton War Memorial.

CGWC turns up a Dorothy Howell, but she is from South London with no apparent link to our girls. The Centre has been in touch with the Red Cross and other organisations, but apparently, records were pretty limited in those days.

Can anybody help?

Gordon.

There is a medal index card of:

Howell, Dorothy M 2063 Worker

Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps

The CWGC Dorothy Howell is WW2

The only Jollands with a MIC card is:

Jollands, Agnes Annie

Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve

Staff Nurse

No matching Jollands on CWGC

Could they be on the memorial as served rather than died?

but then theres this

How on earth did you dig that up? You must have every name in the Journal listed.

Thanks for that Mick. One down one to go.

Gordon

How on earth did you dig that up? You must have every name in the Journal listed.

Thanks for that Mick. One down one to go.

Gordon

Its nothing, he says modestly.

How are you doing with the other one? Is she likely to be the one mentioned on the medal index card?

Mick

How are you doing with the other one? Is she likely to be the one mentioned on the medal index card?

Census records and other things for Catherine Jollands, but nothing on Dorothy Howell of Blyton as yet.

Anybody else found anything?

Gordon

Actually you should also follow up with Jim Strawbridge. He is on occasionally and has done quite a bit of research into the nurses of the Great War. If he doesn't see this post it would be worth your while to PM.

Andy

On the way back from Hemswell I took a diversion to Blyton, this is the only Howell on the village war memorial:

HOWELL, CHARLES RICHARD

Stoker 1st Class

Royal Navy

H.M. S/M "E47."

20/08/1917

K/22147

Son of Frederick B. and Jane Howell, of Blyton, Gainsborough, Lincs.

Grave/Memorial Reference: 26.

In the church I got chatting to a nice man who was varnishing the doors. There is a nurse Howell mentioned on a scroll inside the church and he mentioned there may be some documentation in part of the church that he didn't have a key. the nurse was the brother of the above he believes.. evidently someone else has been researching her. The Howell's still live in the village.

I didnt realise just how interesting the church was, flags of 14 countries hanging from the walls. I will post the details later when I can copy them for others interested in memorials

Gordon

Just out of interest I had a look today at the file of the other Jollands [Agnes Annie] at the NA. Obviously she is the sister of Catherine Jollands, and had trained at the same hospital.

It was a thin file, but if the details would be of any interest, let me have an email address and I'll send them.

Regards

Sue

Actually you should also follow up with Jim Strawbridge. He is on occasionally and has done quite a bit of research into the nurses of the Great War. If he doesn't see this post it would be worth your while to PM.

Andy

I saw the post but had nothing positive to add. Nurse Dorothy Howell is not a name I know. Her name is not on the York Minster panels or one where the CWGC have an interest. She may have been a civilian nurse working in a hospital that included wounded servicemen. That is the most likely scenario which means that The British Journal of Nursing may be the best hope of finding information. There is just the outside chance that E. Howell shown on the York Minster panels under "auxiliary hospitals" is the same as Dorothy Howell but I think it unlikely.

As a matter of interest there is mention in a leaflet from the same church (Blyton Church) of a Sister 'Margaret' who went to France as Matron of a Portugese Hospital 'where she was decorated with one of Portugal's ancient orders' No other details are given.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Gordon

The birth of Dorothy Lucy Howell was recorded in the Mar Quarter of 1898 in Edmonton, London.

There is a Dorothy L. Howell in Blyton in the 1901 census, and she is shown as being born in Edmonton, so I am certain this is the same person.

It shows her to be living at Town Street, Blyton. The family comprises Frederick B Howell (37), a wood engraver, his wife Hannah J Howell, 39, and children James (12), Harriet (11), Frederick (9), Charles (8) and Dorothy (3).

Freerick is shown as being born in Blyton, Hannah in Belfast, James in Scotter, Harriet in Blyton, Frederick in Tottenham and Dorothy and Charles in Edmonton.

This tends to support Mick’s comment that Dorothy was the sister of Charles, recorded on CWGC, assuming that his mother “Jane” on CWGC is the same as “Hannah J” on the census.

There is a death recorded in Quarter 4 of 1918 for Dorothy L. Howell, aged 20, in Lambeth, although there is no way to be certain that this is the same person without seeing the death certificate which might show more family details.

Perhaps she was nursing in London and succumbed to the flu epidemic?

Thanks everybody for such full and comprehensive replies.

I'll copy all of your comments and pass them on to the lady concerned.

Incidentally, Nurse Jolland died of pneumonia in Sheffield, where she would have been treating wounded soldiers. So in this case, she was not killed in action, but died while contributing to the war effort. RIP.

Thanks.

Gordon

Staff Nurse (not Matron) Margaret Harriet HOWELL of the TFNS was awarded the 5th class of the Portugese Order of Christ. London Gazette dated 9 April 1920.

Norman

This post is on behalf of our Heritage Centre who are trying to trace two nurses on local War Memorials in North Lincolnshire.

Gordon.

Gordon, Can you clarify please? You mention that Dorothy Howell's name is on the Blyton War Memorial. Yet auchonvillerssomme says that he has visited and the only Howell name on the Blyton War Memorial is that of her brother, Charles. Is the name from the scroll within the church or did auchonvillerssomme actually miss it on the memorial?

Gordon, Can you clarify please? You mention that Dorothy Howell's name is on the Blyton War Memorial. Yet auchonvillerssomme says that he has visited and the only Howell name on the Blyton War Memorial is that of her brother, Charles. Is the name from the scroll within the church or did auchonvillerssomme actually miss it on the memorial?

If i did miss it I will feel a right pratt!

Mick

• 2 years later...

CGWC turns up a Dorothy Howell, but she is from South London with no apparent link to our girls. The Centre has been in touch with the Red Cross and other organisations, but apparently, records were pretty limited in those days.

Can anybody help?

Gordon.

Catherine (Kitty) Hannah Jollands was my great aunt. She was born 1894, and died 8th July 1915 of double pneumonia whilst nursing at Firvale House Hospital in Sheffield. The funeral service was held in Firvale House Chapel and later at the Primitive Methodist Church in Misterton. She is buried in the cemetery just north of Misterton on the road to Haxey. I have copies of the funeral details from the newspapers of the time and could send copies. There is a single headstone to Catherine, her sister Agnes Annie (who died in 1923) and her parents who died in the 1930s. Unfortunately her headstone has fallen forwards but thanks to a map I was sent by the Misterton & West Stockwith Joint Burial Board I had no trouble finding it when I went to look for it with my parents (my mother is Catherine’s niece) last Saturday. I can send a copy of the map. As you know her name is on the War Memorial at Misterton. Apparently she was feeling unwell on the ward and asked to go off duty but the sister refused. Eventually she went off and died soon after. Her family lived at Misterton Carr from 1903 – 1920 (I would be interested to know exactly where) before moving to East Lound from 1920 to 1922 and then to Skyer’s Farm at Haxey Carr which is where Agnes died. I have a very nice photo of Catherine with Agnes and two of her other sisters, all as nurses, taken in 1914 at the start of the Great War which I could copy.

Agnes Annie (Nan) Jollands her sister– born 1892, went to Fir Vale Hospital, Sheffield to train as a nurse. During the Great War, she served for four years in France with the QIMNS (Res) as a VAD and was mentioned in a despatch from Field Marshall Sir Douglas Haig on November 8th 1918. She was also decorated with the Military Medal for assisting doctors in the trenches. After the War she entered the service of the Notts Education Committee as a school nurse, and in May 1921 was living at 10 Kingsley Street, East Kirkby, Nottinghamshire, but after five years service, her health broke down and she had to give up her work. She lived her last few months at at Skyer’s Farm, Haxey and died of consumption on 24th September 1923 aged 31. After a service at the Primitive Methodist Church in Misterton, she was buried in the cemetery at Misterton, Notts in the same grave as her sister Catherine. I have a photo of Agnes in nurse’s uniform taken at the end of the Great War in front of Misterton Church where she is the only woman with about 100 soldiers. Again I could do a copy.

Ian Yarham

Welling, Kent

Catherine_Jollands.doc

• 1 year later...

If you haven't found out already there is a scroll inside Blyton Church which commemorates those from the village who died as a result of the Great War. All the names on the War Memorial are included but there are also 3 more:-

William BOWS, George W. MARSHALL and Nurse Dorothy HOWELL.

You are interested in Dorothy and a bit of checking shows she was:-

Dorothy Lucy HOWELL

born in 1898 at Edmonton, London

daughter of Frederick Brumby (a retired wood engraver) and Hannah Jane (nee HUTCHINS) of Town Street, Blyton

sister of James Edward, Harriet Margaret, Frederick Bromby and Charles Richard (see above)

died in late 1918 at Lambeth aged 20

Hopt this helps

If you haven't found out already there is a scroll inside Blyton Church which commemorates those from the village who died as a result of the Great War. All the names on the War Memorial are included but there are also 3 more:-

William BOWS, George W. MARSHALL and Nurse Dorothy HOWELL.

You are interested in Dorothy and a bit of checking shows she was:-

Dorothy Lucy HOWELL

born in 1898 at Edmonton, London

daughter of Frederick Brumby (a retired wood engraver) and Hannah Jane (nee HUTCHINS) of Town Street, Blyton

sister of James Edward, Harriet Margaret, Frederick Bromby and Charles Richard (see above)

died in late 1918 at Lambeth aged 20

Hopt this helps

Andrew, have you a photograph of the scroll showing the names? If so, may I have a copy (jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk). Also did you scout around the cemetery to see if she is buried there?

• 5 years later...
QUOTE (Jim Strawbridge @ Jun 21 2006, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If i did miss it I will feel a right pratt!

Mick

Frank has now kindly obtained a photograph of the Blyton War Memorial for me and, yes, first name on the memorial is Nurse D. Howell.

• 3 months later...

Just seen this post, It was a while back and don't remember seeing her name on the village memorial, as I said in post 8, ten years ago I saw the one on the scroll but must have completely missed the on on the village memorial. I haven't got a picture so will take a trip down tomorrow and remedy.

My excuse was basic error, didn't think to look on back.

Sides

Please feel free to use these pictures.

post-11859-0-33113100-1456650833_thumb.j

post-11859-0-93300400-1456650866_thumb.j

post-11859-0-49597000-1456650931_thumb.j

post-11859-0-75972600-1456650944_thumb.j

• 3 years later...
On 02/11/2015 at 17:18, Jim Strawbridge said:

Frank has now kindly obtained a photograph of the Blyton War Memorial for me and, yes, first name on the memorial is Nurse D. Howell.

Nurse Dorothy Howell was my mother’s aunt. Hope it’s ok to post this.

• Admin
7 hours ago, Angel said:

Nurse Dorothy Howell was my mother’s aunt. Hope it’s ok to post this.

Welcome to the forum

If you happen to know exactly where Dorothy was buried I'm sure @Jim Strawbridge will be pleased to know as his project on the link below includes her.

Regards

David

6 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Welcome to the forum

If you happen to know exactly where Dorothy was buried I'm sure @Jim Strawbridge will be pleased to know as his project on the link below includes her.

Regards

David

Thank you for the plug, David. Dorothy Howell is still one that I am trying to find. I am told that if she is buried in the churchyard at Blyton then she is probably lost as this has beeen grassed over and grave markers removed.