Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWG Cemeteries near Calais/Dunkirk?

kerry

Dear All,

further to my Army Cadet Force visit post in 'Western Front', are there any WW1 CWG cemeteries around Dunkirk? I may need to make it a combined WW1/WW2 visit. Grateful for advice. Many thanks

Kerry

Dunkirk area

Dunkerque Town Cemetery (400+ graves)

Zuydcoote Military Cemetery (300+)

Coxyde Military cemetery (1400+) (now called Koksijde)

Adinkerke Military Cemetery (150+)

Adinkerke Churchyard Extension (70+)

Calais

Not so many. A lot more if you go further down coast to Boulogne.

Calais Southern Cemetery (700+ graves)

Les Baraques Military Cemetery, Sangatte (1300+)

If you go to www.cwgc.org, use the cemetery search feature to find details on each one, including description of location. Hope that helps!

Not really near Dunkirk, but I think a must for all school parties is the truly immense Etaples cemetery. The saddest place I have ever been.

Etaples is lovely. The four ? folded tents say a lot, at least that's what I think they are. British come to play golf nearby and do not enter the place. Quite a few Germans and civilians there too.

And for a great memorial the Canadian National Memorial below Parliament Hill in Ottawa is great, maybe some one can post a few pictures. Down the street is a nice one to native soldiers.

The best thing of all, right on the hill behind Parliament is a large jerry built house for cats!

Also near Calais on the Calais-Bolougne Motorway the Canadian WW2 Cemetery (603army, 117 Air Force, 7 Sailors, and 2 unidentified). It is the largest WW2 cemetery in the area. One of the graves is of a woman, a Nurse who was in an casualty evacuation Dakota shot down by the besieged German garrison in Dunkirk in October 1944. Most of the dead are Canadians who fell in the fighting trying to capture the pockets of German resistance left in Calais and Dunkirk at the end of 1944 after the Allied Armies had advanced on into Europe.

Tim

You could also try Wimereaux cemetery, where John McCrae is buried. very close to Cap Gris Nez and the Speranza restarant does fantastic seafood!

Not (completely) CWGC, but Calais town cemetery is interesting having Belgian, French and German plots as well.

Dave.

......Etaples cemetery. The saddest place I have ever been.

Matt, you obviously haven't been to Triest (Italy) to see if there are leftovers of the WW1 airwar. What a dump! :D

Regards,

Marco

Calais Southern Cemetery is largely Canadians killed in the fighting for Boulogne and Calais in September 1944 - a hard slog of a battle, but one largely forgotten.

I think you would also enjoy Terlincthun cemetery, which was once the only open cemetery in France and contains graves from all over the French sector of the front, including a large mass grave of men found at the rear of Ovillers Cemetery on the Somme in c.1982/3.