Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

is there any way of finding out what soldiers died

trenchwalker

say i wanted to find out who died on a certain day is there any sites i can find it out.

The CDROM of "Soldiers Died in the Great War" lets you sort casualties by various fields, including date of death.

There is website that will let you do this - at least not for the whole army. I dare say there are one or two sites about war memorials or particular towns, etc that might.

Trenchwalker

I have SDGW CDROM if you want a list of names looking up,email me of forum.

Regards Doug

The CDROM of "Soldiers Died in the Great War" lets you sort casualties by various fields, including date of death.

There is website that will let you do this - at least not for the whole army. I dare say there are one or two sites about war memorials or particular towns, etc that might.

At the risk of being accused of adding to the spelling/grammar debate there are occasions when errors lead to possible misinterpretation.

I have a feeling, from context, that Chris's post should read There is NO website that will let you do this

and not There is website that will let you do this

In circumstances such as this it is often a good idea to read your own post to check it conveys what you intend it to convey.

I have found that looking at particular days on SDGW can be a chore - especially if that day is 1st July 1916 and you can't narrow it down to a specific unit. Whilst it can be an interesting and useful exercise you may also have the problem of "not seeing the wood for the trees".

None the less good luck in pursuing this avenue but do remember that SDGW is not always 100% accurate, not least in actual date of death.

Casualty lists by date are available BY BATTALIONS or REGIMENTS from those of those several of us who have made unit Data bases. 2RWF by me.