Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Abbreviation

Rob Bulloch

Could one of the forum members help me with this abbreviation, L.V.A.R.N. I managed the R.N. part But the first three letters L.V.A have me stumped, could it have something to do with "Articifier" Thanks in advance.

Rob Bulloch.

Rob

I'm pretty sure it won't be anything to do with artificers. They would be abbreviated to ERA (Engine Room Artificers) - I was one myself. This would be followed by their 'class' ie ERA 3 meaning a third class artificer.

Could it mean Leading Victuallers Assistant ?

Michael

Rob I would agree with Michael that the abbreviation stands for

Leading Victuallers Assistant, my father an ex Chief Petty Officer Victualler recalls this rank as well, not bad considering he's 87. Hope this helps.

Further to my earlier reply he now thinks the A could stand for accountant, therefore Leading Victualler Accountant, he is getting on a bit so sorry for any confusion.

Michael and Mutley Thanks for your help, I will add that abbreviation to my note book, it is the first time I have come across this one and it was not in my book, a special thanks to Mutley's Father for his help, all the best of the Xmas Season to you all, Regards Rob Bulloch.