Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Siberia - Intervention Forces

BeppoSapone

Does anyone recognise the uniforms being worn in this group photo?

I know that some of the soldiers are Italian, and some of the uniforms are Russian. I don't know if these uniforms are being worn by White Russians, the Czech Legion or anyone else.

Also, can anyone come up with the title of a good book, or a site, that will tell me what exactly was going on at Vladivostok and Siberia from 1918?

post-5-1065489758.jpg

• 1 year later...

Andy

Strictly speaking no, the back of the photo is blank.

However, it belonged to my great uncle. He left London to join the Italian army in 1915. He was wounded fighting the Austrians. There is a photo of him in Rome reading the "Daily Mirror" that I have posted on this forum.

He was then sent to garrison Africa. Later in the war he was sent to Siberia via Tien Tsin, China. I assume that he is one of the men in the photo?

I have another photo of him as part of the Intervention Forces, and wearing a heavy overcoat, that I will try and attach to this posting.

post-5-1103092568.jpg

Took libery of scrubbing up enlargement. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dominic

Thanks Dominic, lets hope that it does!

My original post was made at the start of October 2003, without ever getting a reply. Now I get two in one day!

Just to let people know that I may very well be travelling to Vladivostok next April. So, if anyone wants photos of the small number of CWGC graves or specific locations please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

ALAN