Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings own Liverpool 1/6th

Guest graeme gladwinfield

Anyone any idea where the Liverpool 1st/6th where mid may 1915

I am researching Charles Gladwinfield a Rifleman with the Kings who was killed 21st May 1915

am I right to assume they were part of the 55th division West Lancs

In a letter I have from the front dated Whitsunday 1915, where a EH Hodson advises of Charles death. He said the following people were at his Burial

Capt Turner, Liet Trench.

In the letter it said he was going down the railway cutting looking for stretcher bearers

Any help appreciated

Graeme,

On the morning of 16 May 1/6 KLR (at this time they were subordinate to 15 Brigade5 Division in January 1916 they transferred to 165 Brigade 55 Division) were in Ypres and were involved in carrying and moving ammunition by lorry from the town Ypres for storage in a nearby unnamed chateau. Casualties to noon were 1 killed and 4 wounded. At noon orders were received for the Battalion to move to dug-outs on the west side of Zillebeke Pond. Orders were also received for a working party of 400 men to work on the southern sector of the Verbranden Molen - Zillebeke line. The move began at 8pm and was completed at 9.30pm.

On 17th May the Battalion was in dug-outs. A working party of 400 men was again called to work on the southern sector of Verbranden Molen - Zillebeke line and ordered to return to E Camp Outerdom when they had finished. The remainder of the Battalion followed later in the day.

Between 18th and 20th May the Battalion remained at E Camp Outerdom.

On 20th May the Battalion moved up to trenches leaving their huts at 7.15pm and marched via Kruigstaat to dug-outs on the west side of Zillebeke Lake. They were placed in Brigade Reserve.

The whole Battalion was employed on the night of 21 May as carrying parties with one other rank reported as a casualty. The Battalion was used in a similar working capacity on the night of 22 May. The Battalion diary reports 1 other rank killed. This casualty we now know was Rifleman Charles Gladwinfield.

Charles was the son of Mrs Alice Gladwinfield, of 65, Potter St., Great Homer St., Liverpool. He enlisted in Liverpool on 5/8/14 as Rifleman No 2129 in 1/6 Kings Liverpool Regt (Liverpool Rifles). After training he was drafted to France on 24 February 1915 and served with ‘A’ Company until his death on 22 May the same year (not 21 May). A newspaper report (Evening Express 31/5/15 - which includes a photo of him) states that he was ‘shot while carrying stores to the trenches and died a few minutes later. He was buried by his comrades behind a farm with others of the Battalion’. In fact he was originally buried at HQ 15 Inf Brigade HQ which was located just west of Zillebeke Lake. His remains were removed after the war and interred in Railway Dugouts Burial Ground Plot V Row B Grave 1.

Concerning the other men you mention. I would suggest the EH Hodson is perhaps No 2262 Rifleman Edward Wilson Hodson who enlisted on 1/9/14 and who was also in ‘A’ Company and who, in late 1916, was commissioned into 1/6 KLR - he survived the war. The two officers you mention were also in ‘A’ Company they were Captain William Angus Turner and Lieutenant (later Captain) JR Trench - both survived the war.

Joe

Graeme,

You have postings everywhere!

Found this one re Charles Gladwinfield in Doc Repository re 1/7 KLR Diary:

Charles brothers enlisted after his death

Any Gladwinfields listed in your diary?

It is rare for individual soldiers to be mentioned by name in war diaries - if they are it is often in recognition of a gallantry award. I have checked my files and came up with the following who fulfils your criteria

Rifleman Joseph Gladwinfield No 241693/3922 (6 fig number issued in early 1917). He enlisted Liverpool in Sept 1915 served with 1/6 KLR and survived the war.

Regards

Joe

I am endebted to Joe for the information he has forwarded in regard to both my Great Uncle - Charles Gladwinfield @ His Friend Edward Hodson

Joe has built a knowledge about the Kings (Liverpool) Regiment that is second to none. I will visit the museum of Liverpool life in the next few weeks to access his database

In doing this exercise, I have found much more in such a short time, that it is a testimony to this fantastic forum.

A missing detail that would help, is if anyone has any further info etc... that may show where the Kings Liverpool where on the 22nd May 1915, as when I visit the burial ground - I would like to visit the area where he was killed. Joe has told me it was next to Zillebeke Lake

Anyone any advice on visiting the area

Thanks

Graeme

attatched is what we believe to be a picture of Charles - found only today

Graeme

If you plan on visiting The Kings Liverpool Regiment Museum, to consult Joe's database. You may consider contacting Lorraine Chesters 0151 478 4062 as the database is not readily available. I quote this from personal experience, however my journey was not in vain because the literature available ( 2nd floor Maritime Museum archives Albert Dock) allowed me to research another avenue. They have war diaries for most if not all battalions, especially 1/6th. Good luck in your research. Mike

Graeme

Forgot to advise you. Archives only open Tuesday - Thursday 1030 - 4.30 (occasionally closes for lunch 12.30 - 1.30, due to staff shortages)

Regards Mike