Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd May 1915 ?

Guest graeme gladwinfield

Guest graeme gladwinfield

Help !?

My Great Uncle Charles Gladwinfield (AKA Charlie Field) is buried at the Railway dugouts burial ground. He was killed in no mans land bringing back wounded. I have just found this out ... he was shot on the 21st May 1915 I think, and died on the 22nd of May 1915 but what I would like to know is in which battle.

My niaive assumption by the localle and the date, that it wouldbe something to do with Hill 60 or am I a bit late on the date.

He was in the Kings Own Liverpool Rgmt. A riffleman in the 1st/6th battalion

Can anyone give me any pointers on this, and where to find more info

I would also like to find a freind of Charles - called Edward W Hodson

I think he was the Chaplain

Any clues appreciated

Graeme

Hi graeme

I have just had a look at the Official History of the War, and there seems to be no fighting on a large scale on the 21st May, that does not mean that there was no fighting on this day on a small scale. The only mention of the 6/Kings is their part in the Battle at Hill 60 on the 5th May.

I do not know if there is a War Diary for this battalion, but I am sure that some one on this forum will know.

Annette

I have just had a look at the Official History of the War, and there seems to be no fighting on a large scale on the 21st May, that does not mean that there was no fighting on this day on a small scale. The only mention of the 6/Kings is their part in the Battle at Hill 60 on the 5th May.

I've just looked in the Regimental History.No mention here, either (that I can see!) for this date.

Sorry! :(

Dave

Hi Graeme,

It must have been a quiet period indeed.

SDGW for the second half of May (15-31) only gives 7 names for 1/6th King's (Liverpool) :

15/5 : 3

18/5 : 1

22/5 : 1 (Charles Gladwinfield)

25/5 : 1

26/5 : 1

Aurel

Help !?

My Great Uncle Charles Gladwinfield (AKA Charlie Field) is buried at the Railway dugouts burial ground. He was killed in no mans land bringing back wounded. I have just found this out ... he was shot on the 21st May 1915 I think, and died on the 22nd of May 1915 but what I would like to know is in which battle.

My niaive assumption by the localle and the date, that it wouldbe something to do with Hill 60 or am I a bit late on the date.

He was in the Kings Own Liverpool Rgmt. A riffleman in the 1st/6th battalion

Can anyone give me any pointers on this, and where to find more info

I would also like to find a freind of Charles - called Edward W Hodson

I think he was the Chaplain

Any clues appreciated

Graeme

I think i was wounded in "The Battle of Festubert 15-25 may 1915" you could find more info with this page: http://monsite.wanadoo.fr/arham/page6.html .