Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SIGNAL FLARES

mutley

I remeber reading of an instance (but forget where) on the western front where the signal used by the assaulting British troops to signify that they had captured their objective was exactly the same as that of the German distress rockets. The objective taken quickly resulted in the Germans being unable to fire their rockets but the British signal had the same effect and the subsequent German barrage turned the whole event around as no supporting troops could get through to exploit the initial success. Has anyone else heard of this or similar instances and if so can they remember where it was?? Thanks.

When I was walking the Somme this year, I remember either Clive or Vic mentioning something about British troops using German signal rockets after they captured a trench because they'd lost their own during the advance. They wanted to signal their artillery support but there was apparently some confusion over what colours the flares actually were because the labels were in German. They fired them anyway and it turned out although they were the wrong colours for their own artillery support, it stopped the German gunners from laying down a barrage at the captured trenches.

Geoff

Like wise I remember reading this as well. Too many books and too long ago for me to remember which one but dimly I remember it was the 1916 Somme Battles where this occurred. I don't think it was a long-term problem but only for the operation/attack in question. Sorry I just can’t remember where I read it. <_<