Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

211 Seige Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery

Paul Byrne

Dear All,

Unlike some infantry units and their histories I know absolutely nothing about the organisation of the RGA in the war.

A friend has asked about his uncle a casualty of October, 1918 and subsequently buried in England. He knows nothing about this unit, where it served, who with etc, etc and I am unable to help him. Can anybody help at all? Would be grateful.

Best,

Paul Byrne

We have details of his medal card. 36653 Gnr Edward Bennett, RGA. Awarded War Medal and Victory Medal

Paul,

There is a history of the 211 Siege Battery called "Two Eleven Being the History of 211 Siege Battery R.G.A. On the Western Front" by Captain WJ Gilpin published in 1925. There are 4 copies on Abebooks starting at approx $140.

It says the following about them:

Book Description: W.H.Barrell., Portsmouth., 1925. A scarce privately published work. The " Two Elevens," were formed at Falmouth in 1916 out of Cornish Territorials, and drafts from Scotland, Birmingham, London and other centres. It served in France and Belgium; supporting at the Battle of the Ancre, and helped to capture Vimy Ridge; serving in the Salient; enduring the Retreat; later advancing with the Fourth Army to capture the Hindenburg Line; and finally to reach Le Cateau on the day of the Armistice.

The question is ... how much would your friend pay to find out about his relative?!

I'm sure someone will be along who has a copy and might be able to give you some detail from it if you need anything specific.

Mark

Paul

Whilst your crossing your fingers the following may be of some use.

Allocation List attached. A diary for 211 Siege is held at Kew under the following ref:-

WO 95/474 211 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 Sept. - 1917 Mar

The above diary will take you to March when they are sent to 63 HAG, 1st Army area (battle of Arras?) until May when they return to 71st HAG and the 5th Army. In June they move to 88th HAG, 2nd Army- 3rd Ypres. From October 17 they are attached to 68th HAG. The 68th HAG was a Counter Battery Group ( Group M ) within Canadian Corps HA - 2nd Army and was commanded by Lt Col. Bridges. 211 Siege or M4 within this group had the call sign FRK, 1 gun a range of 9,500 yds and the other 3 guns 9,000 yds. The battery was positioned at D25d 20.65 (east of Frezenburg) which was on the road from Ypres to Zonnebeke.

In Dec. 8 Corps HA took over this front, the battery then moved about 500 yds west to D25c 60.61 and kept the same designation/call sign. They were still within 68th HAG but this was now a Reinforcing Group. On the 22 Dec. 17, on the closing down of the 3rd Ypres offensive, 211 Siege were transferred into 4th Army area where they remained until Nov. 18

Stuart

post-6041-1148942752.jpg

Hi Paul

I've a history of the Two Eleven. I'll see if there any mention of Gnr Bennett.

cheers

John

Hi Paul

cheers

John

John,

Thanks for the trouble.

Best,

Paul

Paul

Whilst your crossing your fingers the following may be of some use.

Allocation List attached. A diary for 211 Siege is held at Kew under the following ref:-

WO 95/474 211 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 Sept. - 1917 Mar

The above diary will take you to March when they are sent to 63 HAG, 1st Army area (battle of Arras?) until May when they return to 71st HAG and the 5th Army. In June they move to 88th HAG, 2nd Army- 3rd Ypres. From October 17 they are attached to 68th HAG. The 68th HAG was a Counter Battery Group ( Group M ) within Canadian Corps HA - 2nd Army and was commanded by Lt Col. Bridges. 211 Siege or M4 within this group had the call sign FRK, 1 gun a range of 9,500 yds and the other 3 guns 9,000 yds. The battery was positioned at D25d 20.65 (east of Frezenburg) which was on the road from Ypres to Zonnebeke.

In Dec. 8 Corps HA took over this front, the battery then moved about 500 yds west to D25c 60.61 and kept the same designation/call sign. They were still within 68th HAG but this was now a Reinforcing Group. On the 22 Dec. 17, on the closing down of the 3rd Ypres offensive, 211 Siege were transferred into 4th Army area where they remained until Nov. 18

Stuart

Stuart,

Thast's absolutely brilliant.

Many, many thanks.

Best,

Paul

Hi Paul

There is a casualty list at the rear of the book. Gnr Bennett is not listed.

During September to November 1918, 6 casualties are listed as KIA, however a further.

12 were gassed on 14th October 1918 and died subsequently. Some are buried in the UK.

He is not listed on the list of decorations and awards either.

There are 2 group photos of the Battery -

12th october 1916 appears to have been taken before they left the UK. Bennett not listed

15th May 1918 - taken at Hallencourt. Ginger Bennett is listed in the top row.

Paul i've not read the book for some time. I'll have to go over it again to see if gnr Bennett

pops up anywhere.

Hope some of this helps a wee bit.

Cheers

John

Hi Paul

Bare with me and i'll post pic. I'm better sending you it direct as i'm having probelms resizing image etc.

cheers

John

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have read this thread about the 211 Siege Battery with great interest as my Grandfather was Gunner Harry Benford - Service No 94987 from Leicester who was in 211.

He died 29 Sept 1918 in action and is buried at Hargicourt Cemetery. I have obtained his details from the Commonwealth War Graves Site.

I would be very interested to know if he is mentioned in the "Two Eleven" book. Is he amongst the Sept 1918 KIA casualties referred to ?

I have a group photograph which could be the 1916 picture but my copy has no details.

Any information would be very welcome.

Peter Benford

Peter

I've just had a quick look at the book. Harry's death is mentioned in the narrative. I'll hopefully be able to scan the relevant pages.

John

Peter

I've just had a quick look at the book. Harry's death is mentioned in the narrative. I'll hopefully be able to scan the relevant pages.

John

Hi John

That is fantastic !!!! Thanks for the offer.

Many Thanks

Peter

Peter

I'm having "image hosting" problems. I'll have a go again tonight. If not then i'll email the relevant pages to you directly.

Cheers

John

Peter Benford: I also have a copy of the 211 Siege Battery, RGA unit history. Gunner Harry Benford is shown in a photo of the battery taken on 15 May 1918. The book lists him as being killed in action on 29 Sept 1918 and gives the following description of his death:

"This action [the breaking of the Hindenburg Line] was a severe one for the battery. Zero time was at 5.50 a.m. All went well until 8 a.m., when a low-flying enemy plane came over us and, though the guns were silent, discovered our position. With little delay we were subjected to a determined counter-bombardment in which the Battery suffered some severe losses, Harry Benford on B gun being killed, Sergt. Walsh and Bombr. Murray wounded, and Fred Moore, Dougie Fisher, W. O. Sheppard, "Mush" Butler, and "Tiffy" Hardy gassed."

If you would like a scan of the photo of the battery including Gnr Benford PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Regards. Dick Flory

Paul Byrne: It appears that "Ginger" Bennett was wounded on 13 October 1918:

A, B and C guns of the Battery "left Hamel at 2:30 am and reached Becquigny at eight. They were parked in the Square under the trees near a timber yard, whence the sergeant of B gun obtained the material for a good platform. At midday they were hurriedly ordered forward to Eacaufourt to support the advancing Infantry in their attack and crossing of the River Selle, and were in position there at the crossroads by 2:30 pm. D gun temporarily borrowed from "168", arrived under Sergt. Massey at 10 pm. The position was intermittently bombarded with H. E. and gas shells, and between the bursts of shelling the guns were got ready for action. A heavy shell blew in the cellar of B Sub., overthrowing a wall and burying the greater part of their ammunition. During all that night the enemy continued to send gas into the village, and at sunrise the air was heavily charged with it. During the morning many complained of sickness and were sent down the line. Relieving Sections arrived at eleven, pulled out three of the guns and took them back to Honnechy, the fourth gun being taken back at 10 pm." 10 died from gassing, and 45, including "Ginger" Bennett were "casualties."

If you would like a high-resolution scan of the group photo with Bennett in it send me a PM with your email address. Regards. Dick Flory

• 2 months later...
Guest j16george

This is my first entry on this forum (or any other!) so please bear with any faux pas I may make.

I have been reading this thread with interest, as I believe that my grandfather R H Nicholls, was a gunner in 211th Seige Battery RGA.

He was conscripted in, I think 1916 at Pendennis Castle at Falmouth and served throughout, surviving to return at the end of the war to the families farm a few miles from Falmouth.

My father, somewhere has a photograph of 211 at Aldershot before departure for France which I will endeavour to locate.

Where can I best begin to search for specific reference to my grandfathers service record?

Thank you for any assistance

In "Two Eleven" Being the History of 211 Siege Battery, R. G. A. on the Western Front has a photo of 211 Siege Battery taken on 27 October 1916 and there is a Gunner Harry Nichols and a Sergt. Nichols in the photo. There is also a photo of the battery taken at Hallencourt on 15 May 1918 but no one by the name Nichols or Nicholls is shown. Regards. Dick Flory

Guest j16george

Thank you very much for looking this up. This thread has provided me with more information on 211 RGA than any other internet search has revealed

That sounds like it is almost certainly my granfather. He was known by his second name 'Harry' all of his life.

I remember being told that his basic training was at Aldershot, his gunnery training was at Larkhill on Salisbury Plain and was in a transit or holding camp at Codford in Wilts (less than 10 miles from where I have settled, coincidentally)

I have also been told that he was present at the assault on Vimy Ridge being a gunner with a 6" howitzer gun battery, which would tie in with other information given.

I would suppose that '211' is probably the best (and perhaps only)source of reference on the subject of this unit and its actions, so am grateful to those of you with access to it to be kind enough to relay this information.

The only information I have on his war service is that passed verbally by my father and some recollections of my own of sitting on his lap as a small boy and listening to some reluctantly and patiently recollected stories.

• 4 years later...

With regard to the article copied out below I am the grandson of the Dougie Fisher mentioned. My grandfather was sent home to Hamilton but sadly he died --if I rember correctly on the 8th of Nov. 1918 --3 days before the Armistice. He is buried in a family plot in Hamilton, but is listed as a war casualty in the records of the Royal Garrison Artillery in the National Cenotaph in Edinburgh Castle.

I have read the History of 211 Seige Battery -- copy held in The National Library of Scotland and obtained a copy of the photograph of the battery that includes my paternal grandfather

I was named after him --but as may be predicted never met him.

DBF

This action [the breaking of the Hindenburg Line] was a severe one for the battery. Zero time was at 5.50 a.m. All went well until 8 a.m., when a low-flying enemy plane came over us and, though the guns were silent, discovered our position. With little delay we were subjected to a determined counter-bombardment in which the Battery suffered some severe losses, Harry Benford on B gun being killed, Sergt. Walsh and Bombr. Murray wounded, and Fred Moore, Dougie Fisher, W. O. Sheppard, "Mush" Butler, and "Tiffy" Hardy gassed."

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Paul

cheers

John

Hi, I have just been researching my great uncle and am going to france to visit his grave in june 14 I wondered if you could shed some light on his movements before he was wounded and subsequently died before returning to England his details are

Name: MILES

Initials: H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery
Unit Text: 211th Siege Bty.
Date of Death: 27/10/1918
Service No: 39082
Additional information: Husband of L. M. Miles, of 53, Montgomerie Rd., Southsea,
Portsmouth.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial
Reference: IV. F. 1.
Cemetery: TOURGEVILLE MILITARY CEMETERY
Regards
Colin.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My wife's Grandfather, Ernest Richardson (21692), was in 211 Siege Battery RGA at the time of his demob in 1919. I have tried to obtain a copy of the book "Two Eleven" by Capt Gilpin without success. Does anyone know if Ernest is mentioned in the book? Better still...is there a photograph? He served with the RGA in South Africa (Boer War) and also in WW1. I would appreciate any information about his military service. Many thanks, Dave Boden

Hi Dave

He is not mentioned in the book so no photograph I'm afraid. however you may not be aware he first served with 25 SB.

Rgds

Paul

PS was he from York?

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your speedy reply. He was indeed from York. Well, he was born and lived in, Sheriff Hutton, a village about 12 miles North of York. We were unaware that he served with 25SB. However, we have his 'Small Book', discharge papers and medals. From these we obtained the information that he served with 211SB. His service number was 21692. He joined the Royal Marines in 1897 and transferred to the RGA in 1899. He served in South Africa & WW1. He obtained the rank of Sergeant during his Service. Looks like we have a new lead in our research!

Many thanks again for this information. We would appreciate any other info or advice you may have if you have the time.

Best Regards, Dave Boden

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your speedy reply. He was indeed from York. Well, he was born and lived in, Sheriff Hutton, a village about 12 miles North of York. We were unaware that he served with 25SB. However, we have his 'Small Book', discharge papers and medals. From these we obtained the information that he served with 211SB. His service number was 21692. He joined the Royal Marines in 1897 and transferred to the RGA in 1899. He served in South Africa & WW1. He obtained the rank of Sergeant during his Service. Looks like we have a new lead in our research!

Many thanks again for this information. We would appreciate any other info or advice you may have if you have the time.

Best Regards, Dave Boden

Dave,

You should obtain his "Pension" records which are available on Ancestry. As Paul noted he mainly served with 25 SB and wasn't posted to 211 SB until 15th Nov. 1918. He first landed in France on the 16th July 1915.

Kevin

Edit; If you do download his records then make sure you go forwards and backwards (left and right) from the page Ancestry first shows