Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flyboys - the movie

Regulus 1

Write letters, get on the phone, send e-mails, tell your industry you want a bomber command movie. I doubt hollywood will make it.

Well actually don't forget Peter Jackson is making a new version of "The Dambusters".

Go here for details:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5301998.stm

Well actually don't forget Peter Jackson is making a new version of "The Dambusters".

Go here for details:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5301998.stm

See, there you go! Good on ya'. I'm sure I'll watch it and enjoy.

Paul

I can't help thinking of the guys who built and flew the replicas, the ones that put thier all into this movie, thinking "At last something not only WW1 but WW1 aero and we're part of it!" I guess you guys showed them. The 'victors' have sent the 'vanquished' down in flames!

I agree with Paul that we should blame the British film industry rather than Hollywood for the lack of modern British war films. The only US war film that I'd seriously criticise for its omission of the British is U571, although I think that the US Rangers featured in Saving Private Ryan were actually landed by RN landing craft. The British film industry is very weak, probably because it's too easy for British actors & directors to make it in Hollywood. Few recent war films feature the British armed forces but many have British actors playing US servicemen; Pearl Harbor, Band of Brothers, The Thin Red Line, Black Hawk Down, Flags of our Fathers & even Gods & Generals (Alex Hyde White as Burnside).

The few films made in the UK tend to fall into a small number of genres:

1. Merchant Ivory style costume dramas. A WWI film of this genre would be likely to focus on the life left behind.

2. Kitchen sink social dramas. A WWI flm of this genre would almost certainly be full of cliches about nasty upper class officers sending working class men to their futile deaths.

3. Horror films. There has actually been a British horror film that used WWI as a setting but wasn't really a war film; Deathwatch.

4. Gangster films, often featuring comic book violence. I can't see a war film of this genre, unless it was about dishonest rear area troops during a war.

5. Quirky comedies such as The Full Monty or Billy Elliot. Hard to do a WWI comedy, although Blackadder managed it.

The British film going public should also get some criticism; most of them would go to a big budget Hollywood war film rather than a lower budget British one.

Incidentally, there is a recent big budget Hollywood film about the British armed forces; Master & Commander.

Hi folks. i think the criticism about Flyboys being "Amerian centered" is, at best, a little whiny. Seeing as the story is based on the Lafayette flyers it WOULD NEED to be about American flyers. The Blue Max was a hollywood film about Deutsche flyers and Aces High featured a nice English cast. It just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Hell, I wish they'd crank out a film about Guynemer or Nungesser.

BTW, keep your eyes out for Niama Film's Red Baron. From what I've seen, this looks stunningly good. 2007 will be "The Year Of The Red Baron", mark my words.....

I once knew a lovely chap who's name was von Richthoven, I asked him if he was related to the red baron and he said "youre the first girl to ever ask me, yes i am".

I should have married him, what a last name to have ;)

I should have married him, what a last name to have ;)

Tarquin Fintim-Limbim-Whimbim-Lim Bus Stop F'Tang-F'Tang-Olé-Biscuit-Barrel. Now thats the name to have!

Keith

Although many of the aircraft in the movie are indeed computer generated, much of the footage is is of replica Nieuports in flight. I believed they shipped 3 or 4 of them over to the UK for the production of the movie.

This is the company that made the replicas: www.airdromeaeroplanes.com. For $10,000 you can get a kit and build one yourself! (I hope that doesn't count as advertising :) )

Steve

What happend to the UK release dont we count in the Holywood Artistic Licence .Well will wait till the pirate copy hits the Barras and buy one :rolleyes:

Dan

Ignoring the old adage "that if you have nothing good to say don't say anything" I will add my two cents about the movie. In spite of many details being well done, overall " Flyboys" was just plain bad.

The aircraft, weapons , uniforms, aerodrome were good to excellent. Certainly more attention to getting it right in those areas than any movie dealing with WW1 aviation that I have ever seen. Obviously substantial money and time spent in research and production.Which makes the overall result even more sad. Some of the CGI was very good, some of it cheesey at best. Still, that is not where the movie failed for me.

The characters and storyline could have been plucked from a bad comic book. It was formula action/adventure moviemaking handling a subject that not only deserves a serious portrayal ( at least in the minds of us purists) but one in which I feel cannot succeed either critically or at the box office unless it IS portrayed realistically.

The ball was fumbled when the moviemakers had a clear line to the end zone. A shame.

Ignoring the old adage "that if you have nothing good to say don't say anything" I will add my two cents about the movie. In spite of many details being well done, overall " Flyboys" was just plain bad.

The aircraft, weapons , uniforms, aerodrome were good to excellent. Certainly more attention to getting it right in those areas than any movie dealing with WW1 aviation that I have ever seen. Obviously substantial money and time spent in research and production.Which makes the overall result even more sad. Some of the CGI was very good, some of it cheesey at best. Still, that is not where the movie failed for me.

The characters and storyline could have been plucked from a bad comic book. It was formula action/adventure moviemaking handling a subject that not only deserves a serious portrayal ( at least in the minds of us purists) but one in which I feel cannot succeed either critically or at the box office unless it IS portrayed realistically.

The ball was fumbled when the moviemakers had a clear line to the end zone. A shame.

Well i will give my two pence worth as soon as i watch it i won a dvd version on ebay today .

Dan

As my dear wife says to me when I sput and sputter about historical movies .. "It's a movie" ...

It could have been a MelMovie ... those are the worst.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ltdougcampbell

Hi, I happen to be new here, so hello everyone!

Anyway, I read everyone's posts on here and thought I'd say a thing or two as well.

I do agree that 'Flyboys' had some perturbing aspects to it (quirky historical inaccuracies, dialogue to make you cringe), but I still enjoyed it. Maybe because I'm in the middle of reading Rickenbacker's book on the 94th, and a movie on aviation in the war sort of brought it to life for me. Not much can be expected from the film industry, so it's probably best to just see it for what it is... a form of entertainment. As difficult as that was in certain parts xD

And about the whole Americans-saving-the-world-in-every-American-movie thing, if Britain, France, Germany, etc. wants to make a movie about the war featuring their own guys, they're more than welcome. Might be better than an American film anyway.

Hi, I happen to be new here, so hello everyone!

And about the whole Americans-saving-the-world-in-every-American-movie thing, if Britain, France, Germany, etc. wants to make a movie about the war featuring their own guys, they're more than welcome. Might be better than an American film anyway.

How about who-ever makes a film trying to make it as historically accurate as possible?

How about who-ever makes a film trying to make it as historically accurate as possible?

IT wouldn't sell ... remember the purpose of the movie is to make money. Can you imagine if they really made a movie that REALLY brought you the sense of hell that battle is?;

The audience would need to change their underwear / utrou / knickers.

• 3 months later...

Just seen an advert in next week's Radio Times - Flyboys is being released in the UK on June 1st.

Despite all the reservations, I guess I'll go, stop being a spoilsport and just enjoy it. If I can find anyone to go with that is; my wife won't want to. Maybe I'll end up waiting for the DVD.

Adrian

We saw it on Friday here in Belgium and enjoyed it very much. I guess we took it for what it was and is, a movie. Not a documentary :rolleyes:

And that the background of the story was WW I was all the more enjoyable. I suggest if you go to see it, to do it with the same idea. <_<

Guest Trenchwire

I have the film already,and its great, i was lucky enough to see the battle scene filmed as it was shot near me.

Here are some pictures i took of the set

post-8421-1180464276.jpg

There are posters on bus shelters all over the shop in Southampton and London, so it's winging its way.....

I'll go - it can't be as bad as Pirates of the Caribbean 3 :lol: