Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Dominion-of-the-North

Adubi War (or "Egba Uprising"): Nigeria 1918

Dominion-of-the-North

Friends and colleagues:

I'm currently trying to track down details on the little-known Adubi War (sometimes known as "The Egba uprising"), which took place (largely) in-and-around the Abeokuta area of Nigeria in 1918. The Adubi War has been ignored by most historians, no doubt largley because it was a minor revolt lost in amidst of the much greater turmoil of the Great War. It was serious enough, however for British participants to be issued the African General Service Medal, clasp "Nigeria 1918". My understanding is that effectively all such recipients were members of the Nigeria Regiment of the West African Field Force.

I'm starting from a baseline knowledge of about zero, (ie., all I've been able to do is a basic internet search employing the most obvious key words), so any information (or leads on sources which might have such information) greatly appreciated. I'm looking, specifically, for intell on the war/uprising, itself, as well as the involvement and operations of British colonial units employed to supress it.

Thanks in advgance to anyone who can help.

Cheers,

Glen,

In Our Dominion of the North

HarryBettsMCDCM

Units involved were mainly Nigeria Regt,with Imperial Officers & NCOs,it covered the period 11th June~31st July 1918,

Some UK recipients were:~ {all Att.4th Nig Rgt}

Capt. S.G.Clifton,W.R.Rgt;

Capt.F.W.Whetton,Essex Rgt;

Lt;A.L.Burt &

Sgt E.Oldfield Ryl Lancs Rgt,

Sgt J.T.Pearman,Camb Rgt;

Sgt H.Lanning KRRC

Sgt.G.S.Newman York Rgt;

Sgt.A.L.Thomas Life Guards.

Sgt.G.W.Jackson 9th London Rgt;

Sgt.D.H.Whitmore Nigeria Regt;

Sgt H.F.Foyle 3rd London Rgt;

Sgt W.Scott Royal Scots

Sgt W.Ware Bedford Rgt;

Sgt. G.T.Rowe 2/7th Devon Rgt;

Sgt H.Blake 2nd London Rgt;

Cpl R.Eastwood 14 London Rgt;

Sgt F.Thornley 5th Lanc Fus;

Sgt W.Billen KRRC

Sgt G.J.Frampton Middx Rgt;

Cpl F.J.Hall KRRC

Cpl F.J.Havelock SWBdrs;

Cpl W.H.Webb L'Pool Rgt;

Cpl E.B.Thomas Welsh Rgt:

Medal & Clasp under AO 460 of 1924

Dominion-of-the-North

Harry:

Thank you very much.

May I ask your source for this list of attached Imperial Officers and NCOs? I ask because the chappie I'm interested in is Sgt Vivian White Birkbeck, whose Trio is named as serving with the 14th London Scottish. One of the things I was trying to ascertain is whether he qualified for the African Genmeral Service Medal (clasp "Nigeria 1918") by being similarly attached, or did he actually transfer units.

Cheers,

Glen,

HarryBettsMCDCM

My source is Page 4 of the AGS Nigeria 1918 Medal Roll [Army Form B93] which I obtained whilst researching Sgt Pearman Camb R.,The Officers are mentioned in British Battles & Medals by Maj;L.L Gordon,I hadn't @ the time got the remainder of the Roll,so dont know if your man is on it,it should be appended onto his MiC as well giving a reference to this roll if entitled,though these men are shown by their original unit on the Roll the title of the Roll is 4th Bn; Nigeria Regt,they all being attached.

Many men who where in Nigeria didnt qualify as they weren't in the required area on the right dates.

Isle Of Ely Special Constabulary Sergt J.T.Pearman late 1/1st Cambridgeshire Regt TF.

post-2388-1148333855.jpg

Dominion-of-the-North

Harry:

Thanks again for the additional intell. Great to have a photo of your chappie, gongs and all! Thanks for sharing.

On your advice I went to the Documents on Line site and downloaded Birkbeck's MIC, attached. You will see it confirms his entitlement.

You indicated: "though these men are shown by their original unit on the Roll the title of the Roll is 4th Bn; Nigeria Regt,they all being attached". I note from the MIC he is indicated as serving in the West African Service Brigade - do you think that this means he too served in the 4th Btln of the West African Frontier Force, (which I understand was the Nigeria Regiment)?

At any rate, thanks for the heads-up on the roll. I'll either have a look next time at the PRO, or perhaps, if I can't wait, engage a researcher.

Cheers,

Glen,

post-5403-1148350106.gif

Guest ZuluofAfrica

Glen, I today stumbled on your quest to know about the Abudi War and I think I should contact you. I happened to have been born and raised in Wasimi, a settlement some kilometres south of Abeokuta. I, like every other youth around those area, grew up hearing so much tales from our old folks of the Abudi Resistance of Tax Imposition and British Forced Labour Policy and the Natives.

It was in Wasimi that the only European casuality of the war was killed and buried. He was actually beheaded by the natives. It was also through Wasimi the the British Forces invaded Elere Village (the village where the man Abudi ruled as Baale).

There are a number of local literature on the Adubi War and I can help gather some.

Tao.

Guest balogun

the Adubi war was indeed one of the great war occured in early 20th century, my grand father was involved and according to the oral history that we shared among the family, the osinle of oke ona in abeokuta was sent to the then white british officer who was controlling that part of nigeria, on his way back he was murder, as far as i can recalled my father said to me that the king murder was an orator and and a warrior, my grand father was married to the oke ona kings daughter and my grand mother was in the palace of the king carried my father on her shoulder when the assasination was reported at the palace.my grand father who as at the time the Balogun(WARLORD) of Okena ona in Abeokuta wasADUBI WAR one of the warlord in that war.

To help the reseacher more on this history, i got pictures and information to be able to dig down to what it was then, although my father died two years ago, i think he would have provide you with enough information and i will do all i can to help u, contact me through my address on this forum

bushfighter

Glen

Pages 254 to 256 of Hayward and Clark's "The History of the Royal West African Frontier Force" (Gale and Polden 1964) give an over-view with a sketch map.

Pages 99 to 101 of R.B. Magor's "African General Service Medals" go into more detail, including listing the units involved and their medal entitlements.

It also mentions that 37 European Civilians and 31 Nigerian Railways African employees also received the "Nigeria 1918" medal.

Harry

Coldstreamer

Having just got a medal to Capt S G Clifton Ive found this thread very interesting

NFLDREGT

Hi 

I just noticed this thread as I am researching SGT. E OLDFIELD who was listed as one of the Europeans attached and entitled to AGS Nigeria 1918 bar. I have his MM and BWM. I know the AGS is out there as it was sold at DNW auctions some years ago. Love to track down at least his 1914-15 Star and/or Victory medal.  Great picture of him in the regimental museum. If anyone has any info on the whereabouts of his other medals I would love to hear.

Thanks

Don