Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Here is a list of the names on my Medals, certificates, letters, death plaques etc.

museumtom

• 6 months later...

Thank you MartyG, it will be added to the list and the revised list will be published soon.

John

Hi John + Tom,

Hope all is good with you both.

1.  S.W.B. (No. B.275462).   Gnr. Richard Machin Bailey. 80263. - 192 Heavy Battery. R.G.A.

2. Pair.   Pte. Harry Caine. 3939/241070 2/6th  - S. Staffordshire Regiment.

3. Pair.  Gnr. Alfred Cartwright. 81730. - 196 Heavy Battery. R.G.A.

4. B.W.M.  A.B.  James Dailly. Z.9058. - Clyde Division. R.N.V.R.

5. V.M.  Pte. James Dailly. R4/063431. - 2nd Brigade Remounts. A.S.C.

6. Pair.  Pte. Fred Ellis. M/399546. - A.S.C.

7. V.M.  Sgt. Harry Armistead Foxcroft. 58947 -  Welsh Regiment.  (11/19573 - W. Riding.  357226. T/Res.  W/R298391. R.E.).

8.  B.W.M.  Gnr. Elias Francis. 121746. - R.F.A.

9.  V.M.   Pte. Rowland Emmanuel Jones. 53623. - Cheshire Regiment.   TR4/23881.  (Incorrectly Numbered 63623).

10.  V.M.  Pte. Peter McKechnie. 31273. - Royal Scots.  251. Labour Corps.

11.  S.W.B.  (No.B.70958.)  Pte. William Harold Norris. M2/175985. - A.S.C.

12.  V.M.  2/Lt. John James Spiers. - 15th / 9th Royal Fusiliers.

Regards.

Guy.

Thank you Marty and Guy, I hope you are safe and well. Great list Guy, sure you must be nearly broke at this stage!

On 30/07/2021 at 13:26, Steve Goodall said:

Very new to forum and medal collecting. Here are the ones I have:

Harry Mawson, RGA, MM, VM and BWM
Bertram Farley, RA & RE, MM, VM and BWM
William Hemmings, RAMC, VM and BWM (would love to reunite his 1914 Star)
Frederick Sear, RGA, VM and BWM
William Ryves, Worcestershire Regiment, VM and BWM
Thomas Helme, RE, 1914-15 Star, VM and BWM

A few more for me...

Charles Wardrop, King's Royal Rifle Corps, VM and BWM
Henry Norris, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, VM and BWM
Harry Smart, Queen's Royal West Surrey, VM and BWM
Robert Worley, RNAS/RAF, VM and BWM
James Clarke, Northumberland Fusiliers, VM and BWM
Thomas Cooper, Royal West Kent, BWM
Harry Palmer, London Regiment, Royal Fusiliers, VM
Edward Innes Laurence Pym, Suffolk Regiment/RASC, 1914-15 Star, VM and BWM

5 hours ago, museumtom said:

Thank you Marty and Guy, I hope you are safe and well. Great list Guy, sure you must be nearly broke at this stage!

My lads know that they will inherit a final demand notice. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Steve, another great list.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 4 months later...

Hi does anyone know anything about my great Grandfather Pte John Holmes 7725 who served with the Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers? Have seen his name mentioned in this topic, but know very little.

Many thanks, Neil

2 hours ago, NeilH1862 said:

Hi does anyone know anything about my great Grandfather Pte John Holmes 7725 who served with the Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers? Have seen his name mentioned in this topic, but know very little.

Many thanks, Neil

Hi Neil. Welcome to the forum.

Private John Holmes served with the 2nd, 1st and 8th Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers under service number 7725. John qualified for the 1914 Star on the 23rd August 1914. It appears, according to the transcript of the Admission and Discharge Books, John, attached to C Company, was admitted to 14th Field Ambulance on the 14th September 1914 with a gunshot wound to his right leg. On the 7th June 1917 John, listed with number 16 as his unit, was admitted to No11 Casualty Clearing Station after being gassed. On the 26th September 1917 John was transferred to the 195th Labour Company, Labour Corps with service number 421205. John was then transferred to the Royal Defence Corps with service number 75993. John was also awarded the Victory Medal and British War Medal.

Ancestry hold John's Medal Index Card, corresponding Medal Rolls for the 1914 Star and Victory Medal / British War Medal and a pension card. Find My Past hold the medical records. 

Attached is a screen shot from John's entry on the Victory Medal / British War Medal Roll listing units served and dates with prior to joining the Royal Defence Corps. 

I hope that is of some use.

Gunner 87

41586A19-094B-4AF8-B472-9D9EF1C91784_4_5005_c.jpeg

Thanks Gunner, really really appreciate that 👏🏻👏🏻Now to try and search for medals. I do know that one of them, possibly the 1914 Star, was sold at auction a few years ago. Not even sure how it left the family but only saw it a year or two later. 

3 hours ago, NeilH1862 said:

Thanks Gunner, really really appreciate that 👏🏻👏🏻Now to try and search for medals. I do know that one of them, possibly the 1914 Star, was sold at auction a few years ago. Not even sure how it left the family but only saw it a year or two later. 

Neil. You can list them as wanted on the British Medal Forum and Token Publishing Medal Tracker which dealers may check. An additional way, and this worked for my family, is to put a 'Saved Search' on ebay and 'Auction Alert' on Saleroom. Both will notify you by email if you items are listed. The Salesroom is particularly good as it searches a huge majority of auctions across the UK. 

• 3 weeks later...

Figured it was time for another update, especially as @NeilH1862's family member was on an updated list I'd posted back in January 2020 - the list does indeed work @Knottyand @museumtom! Currently working to get the medal back home to Neil's family.

Great Britain Royal Irish Rifles Line Infantry Regular Ireland 9603 Pte. R. Norris Victory Medal
Great Britain Leinster Regiment Line Infantry Regular Ireland 9256 A. Sgt. R. English Victory Medal
Great Britain Welsh Guards Foot Guards Regular Nationwide 1072 Cpl. F. Barlow Victory Medal
Great Britain Guards Machine Gun Regiment Foot Guards Regular Nationwide 602 Pte. W. V. Mumby Victory Medal
Great Britain Household Battalion Foot Guards Regular Nationwide 1187 Cpl. J. W. Penfold Victory Medal
Great Britain London Regiment (9-Lond. R) Line Infantry Territorial South East 5015 Pte. R. C. Williams Victory Medal
Great Britain Worcestershire Regiment Line Infantry Regular West Midlands 12224 Pte. A. Gittins Victory Medal
Great Britain 12th (Prince of Wales’s Royal) Lancers Line Cavalry Regular   391 Pte. E. H. Bagg 1914-15 Star
Great Britain 2nd Scottish Horse Yeomanry Yeomanry Cavalry     5906 Pte. E. S. Patrick Victory Medal
Great Britain Army Ordnance Corps Corps     29375 Pte. G. H. Crookes Victory Medal
Canada Manitoba Regiment (18th Reserve Battalion) Line Infantry   Canada 2383919 Pte. D. Allen War Medal
Canada 13th Canadian Infantry Line Infantry   Canada 153754 A. Sjt. J. Foreman Victory Medal
Canada 15th Canadian Infantry Line Infantry   Canada 800096 Pte. J. N. Pringle Memorial Cross
Canada 27th Canadian Infantry Line Infantry   Canada - Lieut. Colonel F. W. G. Anderson Victory Medal
Canada 43rd Canadian Infantry Line Infantry   Canada 153754 A. Sgt. J. Foreman Victory Medal
Canada 54th Canadian Infantry Line Infantry   Canada 442519 Cpl. J. Gartland War Medal
Canada 78th Canadian Infantry Line Infantry   Canada 148206 Pte. S. Issett Victory Medal & War Medal
Canada 203rd Canadian Infantry Line Infantry   Canada 234634 Pte. R. Rahm War Medal
Canada Canadian Machine Gun Brigade     Canada 436718 Pte. F. Eadie Victory Medal
Canada 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion     Canada 739576 Pte. E. C. Pettigrew War Medal
Canada Canadian Base Depot     Canada 22124 Pte. H. Eden Victory Medal, War Medal, QSA and KSA
Great Britain Royal Artillery Artillery     45640 Gnr. P. Hewitt Victory Medal
Great Britain 1st King's Africa Rifles       4702 Pte. Dikisoni War Medal
British India 1-25th Punjabis Line Infantry   India 69 Sepoy Ghulam Qadir Victory Medal
British India Nagaland Labour Corps     India   Labr. Luchezu Memorial Plaque
British India 7th Gurkha Rifles     India 3768 Rfmn Karnadhoj Gurung Victory Medal
British India Royal Indian Marine     India   W. K. SY. Kaka Jainu War Medal
Australia 7th Field Artillery Brigade (107th Howitzer)     Australia 28053 Pte. H. J. Bezer War Medal

Thought I might as well contribute the first/only medal i have..

2791 J.C Doolin, AIF [Victory Medal]

6 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

Thought I might as well contribute the first/only medal i have..

2791 J.C Doolin, AIF [Victory Medal]

Just looking at the names on your byline. Could 55657 PTE. J.F. MC NAMARA. 1-DIV. TRN. A.I.F. be a relative?

15 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Just looking at the names on your byline. Could 55657 PTE. J.F. MC NAMARA. 1-DIV. TRN. A.I.F. be a relative?

McNamara is my surname. He is not a relative I don't think. I'll give you an answer in a few hours. I only had 2 McNamaras in the first war, 

2439 P McNamara, 50th BTN, KIA

1875 V K McNamara, 9th LHR, later commissioned.

Thanks for telling me!

44 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

He's no relation. His grandfather died in Adelaide... My relatives were from SA, so possible. I'll have to check a bit.

Tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new additions.

1. V.M. -  Dvr. 135177. Elijah Clorfield.  R.F.A.

2. B.W + V.M.  - Pte. 76809. William Flynn.  36th F.A.  R.A.M.C.

3. V.M.  - Dvr. 97334. Charles Heathcote.  D.55th Bde.  R.F.A. 

4. 15 Star.  - Pte. 2720 - 290523. Edward William Jones.  7th R.W.F.

5. 15 Star.  - Pte. 3248. Sydney Owen.  7th R.W.F.

6. B.W + V.M.  - A/Sgt. 4221 - 291401. Edmund Vaughn Roberts.  7th R.W.F.

7. V.M.  - Pte. 41477. Albert George Scase.  B Coy. 4th South Staffs.

8. S.W.B. (No.285477) - Gnr. 12095. Albert Edwin Weller.  35th Bde. R.F.A.

9. S.W.B. (No.B125994)  - Pte. 19134. David William Williams.  16th R.W.F.

10. 15 Star + V.M. - Pte. 2228. Joseph Winstone. 6th North Staffs.  - (271745 Lab.Corps)

Regards,

Guy.

Good man, thank you GWF, a nice collection.

• 1 month later...

Hiya- my name is Sharon murphy - I have just started looking into my family tree. My great grandfather was Albert Willshire 23291. He died at Mametz wood on 7/7/1916 . He was an acting sergeant major. I have just seen u have a medal with his name . Are u able to help with this ? 
many thanks 

Sharon x

36 minutes ago, Sharon69 said:

Hiya- my name is Sharon murphy - I have just started looking into my family tree. My great grandfather was Albert Willshire 23291. He died at Mametz wood on 7/7/1916 . He was an acting sergeant major. I have just seen u have a medal with his name . Are u able to help with this ? 
many thanks 

Sharon x

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
 The medal is/was in the collection of forum member @roselyn2 .

I have sent them a personal message to alert them to your post. 

Edited by GWF1967