Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German soldiers found between Wieltje and Boesinge

Bert Heyvaert

Here's another one, from 'Het Ypersch Volk', 1931.

"Bodies of German soldiers

Due to the rising unemployment, more and more people are looking for scrap Iron. For the moment, they are searching at the Verbrugge Farm, near the road from Wieltje to Boesinge. They found no less than 11 bodies of German soldiers, without name or number. Convinced there must be more on the side, they dig on, as they earn 10 fr. for each body."

This reases some questions....

At that time, 10 fr. was a serious amount of mony! Where did this mony come from? People must have been looking like crazy for bodies if you ask me....

Bert.

post-4-1065288687.jpg

Hi Bert

Do you or anyone else know what Verbrugge Farm was called on British Trench maps, or tell me where it was.

Thanks

Annette

At that time, 10 fr. was a serious amount of mony! Where did this mony come from?

I expect it came from the respective governments. I have read that the Commonwealth governments paid the most and there have often been suggestions that people would put commonwealth badges/equipment on bodies of German, French or otherwise unrecognisable soldiers for the extra money. :(

I read somewhere about French Colonial troops at Monte Cassino earning a "bonus" by bringing back the right ear of the men that they had killed. This practice was stopped when large numbers of dead allied troops were found minus one ear.

Andy