Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bringing back the dead.

Guest keep fit.

Guest keep fit.

:unsure:

Do any of you know if anyone ever brought back the dead body of a Son or Husband from the country they were killed, or if anyone i.e went to france after the war and had the body exumed and bought home for re-burial.

I know this is a strange question.

Susan xxx.

Susan

Lt Vernon James Austin, son of car manufacturer Herbert Austin, was killed in action in France serving with the Royal Field Artillery on 26 January 1915. His bodywas was brought home and interred in Canterbury (St Martin) Churchyard a short while later

Terry Reeves

Guest keep fit.

:unsure:

Terry thanks for the reply.

Do any of you know if anyone has RECENTLY or say 60 years after the war ended

Had the body of a relative exumed and bought home for re-burial.

Susan xxx

The only repatriations in the recent past have been the two Unknown Soldiers for Australia and Canada. New Zealand will shortly have their own. There were also the three Irish mutineers returned from India.

Repatriations were banned from early 1915 and only a handful had taken place up to then. A few are known after that date involving Canadians.

This subject was recently discussed on another thread.

Susan

I didn't see the other thread on this subject so apologies if you already now know this but I seem to remember reading the story of the Canadians in one of Norm Christie's books, probably the one on Ypres/Passchendaele. It's a fascinating read. I'm sure I have it somewhere but can't at present find it.

The other thread was entitled Repatriation of the Fallen. A search should find it under Cemeteries and Memorials.

It contains a lot of comment and info.

• 2 years later...
Guest Douglas Geater Childs
Susan

Lt Vernon James Austin, son of car manufacturer Herbert Austin, was killed in action in France serving with the Royal Field Artillery on 26 January 1915. His bodywas was brought home and interred in Canterbury (St Martin) Churchyard a short while later

Terry Reeves

I am trying to locate any surviving relatives of the above person as I have a Memorial Tablet I would Like to give back to the family.

I am trying to locate any surviving relatives of the above person as I have a Memorial Tablet I would Like to give back to the family.

I suspect that any descendents are going to be well scattered. The closest would be any descendents of Herbert Austin's daughters - Irene and Zita (assuming that they had children).

John