Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cavalry kettledrummers

kingscpl

We've had some photos up of drum horses in the past on TMH, but I can't recall this specific question re tack. Anyhow, you might think about posting this query on the forum of The Military Horse Society at www.militaryhorse.org

The Kettle-drummers of the Household Cavalry have a special saddle which has an extra arch at the front and two side pads this allows the drums to be hooked on and for the horses body to be protected from chaffing by the drums. The rein is attached to the stirrups allowing the rider to be hands free to play the drums. Normal reins are still fitted and rest on the horses neck for use in case of emergency.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

The attached is a photo of the kettle-drummer of the North Somerset Yeomanry c1889 without drum banners in place. An addition girth? strap and holster for drum legs can be seen.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks to those who responded to my query. Any chance of obtaining a photograhic copy, for which I will of course reimburse you, of the Yeomanry Kettledrummer photo, the internet image is not very clear.

The photo is from the book 'The Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force No;2 - The North Somerset Yeomanry' by Barlow and Smith ISBN 0 85936 2493 and probably now out of print.

The authors say that the photo appears to have been taken against a setting sun thus some areas are unclear - image on my screen is as clear as the book.

However you may be able to get a good copy of the original photo from the owners as below:

ARMY MUSEUMS OGILBY TRUST

(Registered Charity No: 250907)

58 The Close

Salisbury

Wiltshire SP1 2EX

Tel: +44 (0)1722 332188

Fax: +44 (0)1722 334211

E-mail dir@amot.demon.co.uk