Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Xmas in Salonica

Raster Scanning

This is a Christmas card showing all the different allies in Salonica. I would be interested to know what nationality they all are. Apart from the obvious Brit in the back row I only have suspicions about the others.

Cheers.

post-5-1065257274.jpg

Raster,

V.interseting Xmas card. I would hazard a guess that the two black soldiers in the card are with the French army maybe from the French Colony of Sennegal?. Although I'm not a uniform spotter the Greeks and Sebs were allied with us on this front so maybe you have examples of them on the card. I am interested to hear who the Chinese chap belongs to. Would he be Labour Corps?

Iain

Although I'm not a uniform spotter the Greeks and Sebs were allied with us on this front so maybe you have examples of them on the card.

Hello Iain,

The Greeks allied to the Allies? That's quite a euphemism!

In my opinion these are the nationalities: upper row: Japan, Great Britain, Marocco, Italia, Senegal, India, Rumenia

Bottom row: China, Russia, France, Ivoria.

Well, I'm not quite sure about the different French colonial soldiers, but the rest shouls be quite all right I guess.

Regards,

Jan

The 'Chinese' character is a French Colonial from Cochon-China (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia etc), I suspect. They had a large number of them in uniform during WW1, something which is rarely known about. Interesting that four of the group are French forces; this chap, two Black colonial soldiers and one white Metropolitan Frenchman. Just shows what a high proportion of troops in Mukcy-donia were French.

Thanks one and all for your replies,

John.

Thanks for that Malcolm, I have printed it and put it with the original.

Cheers.

John.