Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Fusiliers

Andy Shaw

Andy,

Could you do a look up for 2/LT HP Shine 1 RIF who was killed at Ypres on May 24th 1915.

Many thanks,

Rob

Richard,

Captain Miles Bertie Cunningham Carbery, 'C' Coy, from Eastbourne was married to the daughter of the late Rt Hon Thomas Sinclair DL of Hopefield House, Belfast. Carberry joined the Faughs in 1897. He was wounded and taken prisoner during the Boer War and was adjutant of the Depot in Armagh from 1903 until 1914. He was 37 when he was killed in action.

post-158-1135694586.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Andy.

I wonder if you could help another Andy with some information regarding the 1st Bn R/Fusiliers.My Gt Gt uncle Henry J Morrell service number SR/9571 served with this Bn at some time in the early days of the Gt War,also the 4th Bn ,and ended up in the 24th Bn where he was killed and lost during the German Offensive 1918.Its been suggested to me that the 1st Bn R/F were amalgamated with the 4th BN and the 24th BN at some stage in the war .If this is the case, do you have any dates when this may have happened.It would be intresting to see if he was listed in the Diary,as he was wounded twice at some stage.His records were burnt in the London Blitz.

Hope you can help

Best Regards

Andy.

P.S I have a copy of the 24th BN [2nd SPORTSMEN] if you need any look ups.

• 2 months later...

Alison,

I just saw your post on the forum. My GG grandfather was killed on the same day as yours. Same regiment, same location! Spooky or what?He was called Thomas McShane. His three brothers were also killed in WW! (see my signature below).

I downloaded the war diary for the relavant dates and for the princley sum of £3.50 was amazed by what i read, there were even colour diagrams an maps of the locations of the Battalion during that time. it was fantastic.

Gary

Andy,

Many thanks for the info on 2Lt Shine very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

I wonder can you help me, I am tryiny to trace some information regarding 9th Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers some of these man where from Lurgan Co. Armagh my granfather Thomas Lyness 14449 , his brothers in law James Jones 14353 and Francis McKerr "D" Coy. 9th Bn.14542.

Any information would be appreciated.

Douglas.

• 1 month later...

Andy if the offer is still open could you do a lookup for me please 1st btn.

Serjeant Michael Ennis Reg no. 15951

Death 12/10/1916

With Thanks

Isadore

• 2 months later...

Any info on Pte (later l/cpl) James Fraser 10071 1st Battalion. (he was in B coy when he was killed) would be welcome. He enlisted 1908 so would have been there from the start. I know he was wounded sometime between 1st September 1914 and 12th April 1915

Your in Luck, He is mentioned in the Battalion History for his MM for an 'Act of Gallantry' that took place in 1915. His award appeared in the 11th November issue of the Gazette No. 29819 page 6 (thanks to Stebie9173 for the LG info).

10071_James_Fraser.pdf

Seems to be a discrepancy on his date of death

Soldier Died gives the 11th April.

CWGC gives his date of death 24th April.

ATHIES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION - Pas de Calais

FRASER, Lance Corporal, J, M M, 10071.

1st Bn. Royal Irish Fusiliers.

24th April 1917.

Age 27.

Son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Fraser, of 46, Gray St., Lochee, Dundee.

G. 24

I presume that the 11th is correct as the other men of the Royal Irish Fusiliers (9) who are buried in the same cemetery have the same date. Have you seen his grave to confirm the date on the headstone?

Checking through soldiers died it shows no men of the 1st Battalion were killed on this day and the diaries confirm that from the 20th to 28th April they were out of the line in reserve.

Attached is the diary entry for the 11th

11th_April_1917.pdf

Any note of Pte Patrick Arthur Fitt 1st Battalion 1916~22 Ref his Gallantry Award {LG January 1919}

Sorry Harry, Apart from confirmation of the award in the index no mention of Patrick.

Its frustrating, early on in the battalion history they mention quite a few names I suspect as the awards were more frequent they didn't note the names. Although there may be more in the 1st Battalion war diaries, what I have is the battalion history based on those.

I have quite a bit of success with MMs in my collection to 9th, Names and dates of actions are quite frequent.

Thanks for looking!

HB!

He served later in Iraq & N.W.Persia,transferred to the RAF & served in Persia,India & was awarded the RAF LSGC {Geo V} in 1936;Fitt served throughout WW2 @ UK bases: when he achieved the rank of Squadron Leader{General Duties}& @ RAF Butterworth:during the troubles there; in 1948,{Clasp to GS}, & retired in 1953.He died in 1979.

post-2388-1155857200.jpg

Thanks for that Andy. 11th is the correct date. Fusiliers museum confirmed that for me.

Havent seen his grave yet, planning to do that next summer.

I am researching a Pte Docherty, KIA 13/6/16 in the 8th Bn. Could you please let me have a copy of the war diary for that day please?

It would be most welcome.

Kind regards.

Tom Burnell.

I sure will.

Many thanks.

I very much appreciate the diaries.

Kind regards.

Tom,.

• 2 years later...
Guest gilesstacey

Hallo Mr Shaw

I would be very grateful if you could do a look up for me for the 9th Battalion: my grandfather William Sands from Bleary (near Lurgan) was, I believe, in D company and definitely at the Somme and survived. I have a photo of him in "hospital blues" - so he must have been injured either at the Somme itself or afterwards. I have a copy (from the internet) of the war diary for the 9th battalion from the middle of 1917. Probably he won't be mentioned by name but I would be much obliged if you could check for me.

Thanking you

Giles Stacey

:) Happy to do look ups on the following war diaries.

1st Bn August 1914 to March 1922

5th Bn June 1915 to June 1919

6th Bn July 1915 to October 1916

7th Bn February 1916 to September 1916

8th Bn February 1916 to December 1916

7/8th Bn June 1917 to February 1918

9th Bn October 1915 to June 1919

11th Bn August 1918

http://www.freewebs.com/ballymenaww1/index.htm

Click above - scroll down beyond the 12th Royal Irish Rifles war diary. You will find 9th R Ir Fus at bottom. With aerial pics of attack area etc etc. No mention of your man but may help fill in some holes.

Des