Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Fusiliers

Andy Shaw

Hello Andy

I am researching some WW1 Royal Irish Fusiliers who were based in Scotland.Could you please help me out with extracts for the following: 1st Bn. between 030717 - 100717. 5th Bn. between 050815 - 230815. 6th Bn. between 201015 - 251015. Hope i am not kicking the preverbial out of things. Thank you in advance.

Ian

Hi Andy

I would be obliged if you could give me any info you have on the 1st RIF for the 11th / 12th April at Fampoux / Roeux where they were involved an abortive attack with the 2nd Seaforths.

Thanks - John

Ian/John,

PM me your email address's and I 'll send through PDFs of the diary extracts, its quicker than posting images on the site

Regards

Andy

Received the pdf's Andy, thanks very much.

John

• 10 months later...

hello.

I am researching my great uncles military history.

private T.W Barugh 7919.

Royal irish fusiliers. 1st batt

but he was a reservist so he must ahve had previous service?

born in bombay, his father was in the 29th regiment.

enlisted in leeds.

i know where he was living, and where he worked before he enlisted.

C.W.G.C kia 27th of aug 1914.

but i read some where else died as a pow 1st of sep 1914.

i dont see any one else killed around about that time from the regiment??

buried in st souplet cemetery but he was buried at 2 other sites previously.

how was he killed? how do i get his death cert?

london gazette says his pay was unclaimed., his name is not on any war memorial in leeds, can his pay still be claimed?

it is also possible that he was from an anglo/indian back ground.

Ian

:) Happy to do look ups on the following war diaries.

1st Bn August 1914 to March 1922

5th Bn June 1915 to June 1919

6th Bn July 1915 to October 1916

7th Bn February 1916 to September 1916

8th Bn February 1916 to December 1916

7/8th Bn June 1917 to February 1918

9th Bn October 1915 to June 1919

11th Bn August 1918

Ian,

Both the SDGW and his Medal Index card indicate that he was killed in action. Usually, but not always, the MIC indicates that a person was a POW.

(From Westlake)

His battalion arrived at Boulogne, disembarking during the morning of 23 August 1914. They marched to camp at St. Martins. They then returned to Boulogne and entrained arriving at Le Cateau during the afternoon of the 24th and marched to Beaumont.

They took up positions south of Python on 25th and later withdrew via Viesly to Fontaine-au-Tertre Farm. Moved again after dark via Fontaine-au-Pire to Haucourt. Enemy attacked on 26th and battalion fell back - part to Hurlevent Farm, part to Le Catelet.

Battalion then moved on to Hancourt then continued retreat through night (27/28) to Voyennes.

You can get his death certificate by checking a site like Ancestry.co.uk for the free BDM and find the reference numbers relating to your relative. Then order cert from General Records Office (google it) but from experience it will not tell you anything about his death (you MAY be lucky).

He may have been born in Bombay as his father could have been serving there.

The SDGW list 14 other ranks killed the same day as your relative, 19 the day before.

Hope this helps.

Graeme

• 4 months later...

Hi Andy,

Would you mind checking the 9th Battalion's records for 7 June 1917?

My Gr uncle Clement Forester buckingham was wounded that day at Messine's Ridge. I am trying to determine which battalion he was in, but know that he was in the Royal Irish Fusiliers.

He said he was in the third wave, leaving at 3:15 am, advanced to Kemme Hill near ypres and while digging in around 3 that afternoon was wounded. he also mentioned Hill 60 having sad memories for him.

Could you see whether this was the plan of attack for the 9th?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Lewis

Andy

Do you have any information on where the 1st Battalion were fighting on the 11th May 1917, I have one man I am researching who was killed that day. He was Lance Corporal 40114 John James Farthing of the 1st Battalion, 14th Platoon, D Company.

Thanks

John

John. I don't have the Irish Fusiliers diary but this may help.

On 11th May the 1st Bn KORL (12th Brigade) received orders to be placed at the disposal of the 10th Brigade. (Irish Fusiliers brigade).

The purpose was to support the 10ths attack and consolidation of the line just east of the buildings & cemetery north of Roeux.

Perhaps the buildings refer to the Chemical Works at Roeux???

I think that you'd really need to see the R.I.Fus diary to check if they were actually engaged that day.

Ulsterlad2

Thanks for assisting with the above information, I left a message for Andy as I understand he has the war diary for the 1st Battalion for the above date.

John

Lewis,

The medal index card for Clement Forester Buckingham indicates that his number was 45044 and he was an Acting Corporal. There is no idication of which battalion he served with. My records have nothing to show that he served with the 9th Bn. Interestingly, as far as I can tell his number was in a series issued in early 1918. Do you have any information of another, previous service number? If he fought at Messines and was not in the 9th Bn, he would most likely have been in the 7th/8th Bn. None of these, however, fought at Hill 60.

More questions than answers in afraid.

Nick

• 1 month later...

Hi there Andy, hoping that you can help me, I am researching my great uncle robbie siberry , s/n 24552, 8th bn royal irish rifles, kia on the

8th july 1916, I have been trieing to find the batt war dairy, for that time, thjamking you, yours inniskilling

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Andy, hoping that you can help me, I am researching my great uncle robbie siberry , s/n 24552, 8th bn royal irish rifles, kia on the

8th july 1916, I have been trieing to find the batt war dairy, for that time, thjamking you, yours inniskilling

Hi Inniskilling,

Further to you email request, I sent across the extract from the diary, Did you receive it?

Regards

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Andy

I contacted you some time ago with the following: I am researching some WW1 Royal Irish Fusiliers who were based in Scotland.Could you please help me out with extracts for the following: 1st Bn. between 030717 - 100717. 5th Bn. between 050815 - 230815. 6th Bn. between 201015 - 251015. Hope I am not kicking the preverbial out of things!!!! Unfortunately, life took over and I dropped the subject for a while. I am now back in the saddle and hoping you can help.

Ian

• 4 months later...

Hello Andy,

Hoping you can help with this.

Try to find out about 2nd Lt James Denny - 1st Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers - KIA 23rd Oct 1918. Wonder whether any mention of him in diary. Would it be possible to get copies of teh diaries for 23rd Oct and few days before that just to see what they were up to at the time.

Thanks

Joe

• 2 months later...

Dear Andy,

I am making a study about the last days of WWI on the front between Audenarde and the Tournai area. I noticed the 5/ Royal Irish Fus.were involved. I would be grateful if you could share the War Diaries from 8/9/10 and 11 November 1918.

Kind regards and thanks fro Flanders,

Jef

• 6 years later...

Grandfather served in Royal Irish Fusiliers His name JOHN DALY .BORN ARMAGH 1880 LIVED IN OLD MONKLAND COATBRIDGE.THE SERVICE NUMBER ON 10TH NOV 1915 WAS 12325 .HE WAS A PRIVATE AT THAT TIME HE WAS IN D COMPANY 6TH BATTALION. RIF. BY JANUARY 1918 HE WAS IN THE 9TH SERVICE BATTALION .BUT I DO NOT HAVE A SERVICE NUMBER. WE THINK HE RETURNED FROM THE WAR BUT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THAT . HIS WIFE HAD LOST 3 CHILDREN TO DISEASE AND ILLNESS DURING THAT PERIOD  AND WAS IN A HOSPITAL FOR MANY YEARS SO THE FAMILY HAVENT MANY CLUES WHAT HAPPENED TO JOHN AND WHERE HE WENT  .WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT MY GRANDFATHER. IF ANYONE CAN HELP I WOULD BE GRATEFUL.

• 7 months later...
On 03/10/2003 at 20:58, Andy Shaw said:

:) Happy to do look ups on the following war diaries.

1st Bn August 1914 to March 1922

5th Bn June 1915 to June 1919

6th Bn July 1915 to October 1916

7th Bn February 1916 to September 1916

8th Bn February 1916 to December 1916

7/8th Bn June 1917 to February 1918

9th Bn October 1915 to June 1919

11th Bn August 1918

Hello Mr Shaw, have been asked to look for details into a Private Thomas Ellis, 23126, 8th Bin., died 30/4/1916. Granddaughter now living in America. Any info or pointers would be most welcome. Also just looked up a bit more, probably died in the Gas attack at Hulluch. Regards db

Edited by diver99

• 5 years later...

Dear Andy

I'm not sure whether this thread is still live.

I am researching a man called James Patrick Heather Hayes who was in the Royal Irish Fusiliers throughout WW1. He was a lieutenant and fought in France and was awarded the Victory, British and Star medals.  He survived the war. I would be interested to know if he is mentioned in the war diaries.

Another query. I think that his unit was based in Cork. Would the soldiers have returned home periodically during the war?

Many thanks.

Simon

44 minutes ago, Simon Habin said:

Dear Andy

I'm not sure whether this thread is still live.

I am researching a man called James Patrick Heather Hayes who was in the Royal Irish Fusiliers throughout WW1. He was a lieutenant and fought in France and was awarded the Victory, British and Star medals.  He survived the war. I would be interested to know if he is mentioned in the war diaries.

Another query. I think that his unit was based in Cork. Would the soldiers have returned home periodically during the war?

Many thanks.

Simon

Yes, there would have been home leave. 

• 1 month later...

Dear all,

Looking extra information and a picture of 17836 QMS Frederick William Catlow (1886-1939), Royal Irish Fusiliers 

He must enlisted around 1903-1905. Married and lived in Clonmel, Tipperary. He rose to the rank Sergeant and continued to serve during the WW1 1st and 8th Battalion. Entitled British War Medal, Victory medal and French Medaille Militarie (gazetted 8-Oct-1918).

- was he entitled a LSGC medal as well?

- any other information of his service?

--does he appear any group pictures?

From Irish Genealogy site I got his marriage and children registrations. Family appears 1911 census but not him - I assume he was overseas at that time with the unit? Also he is not in 1901 census that makes me think that he was actually from UK originally. He settled in Tippetary. 1919 he was QMS and 1921 a Labourer so he must left during that time from active service.

There is his family tree in ancestry but unfortunately I don't have subscription at the moment. I have his pension ledger files from Fold3 and info from the FMP.

Thanking you in advance!