Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Fusiliers

Andy Shaw

:) Happy to do look ups on the following war diaries.

1st Bn August 1914 to March 1922

5th Bn June 1915 to June 1919

6th Bn July 1915 to October 1916

7th Bn February 1916 to September 1916

8th Bn February 1916 to December 1916

7/8th Bn June 1917 to February 1918

9th Bn October 1915 to June 1919

11th Bn August 1918

• 2 weeks later...
Guest birdflightless

Hi Crimea,

I am currently researching the soldiers that died during WW1, rememered on my village war memorial.

One of which served with The Royal Irish Fusilliers, No. 25245, Sgt. Frederick Cardy, 7th/8th Bn. Died on 12/08/1917.

Could you please, when you have time, tell me where/when Fred would have been on that date.

Thank you.

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

I have attached the extracts from the 7/8th Bn diary from the 9th to the 12th August. If you require any further information please let me know.

Regards

Andy :)

post-15-1066766804.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, just seen this thread and hope that your offer of war diary extracts for Royal Irish Fusiliers is still on? I have a casualty plaque for 'Michael Dodds' 1st Bttn R. I. Fusiliers, KIA 9th April 1916. I would be very grateful of copies of the Diary around these dates, thanks :D

Hi Snailybaily,

It is possible your year of death is wrong. I had a look in Ireland's Memorial Records and it gives the following:

Dodds, Michael. Reg. no. 3466. Rank Private, Royal Irish Fusiliers, 1st Batt. Killed in Action, France April 9th, 1917. Born Magherasaul, Co. Down.

Regards,

Liam.

Actually I meant to put 1917....that's what happens when you're at work and trying to type fast because you should be working rather than doing what really interests you...thanks for the correction!!

Just out of interest Liam, where are 'Ireland's Memorial Records' that you mentioned? Is it a book you have or something I can access myself on the internet? If you have the documents I would love to get a copy of the entry, is that possible?

cheers

Hello Snailybaily,

The Memorial Records were put toghether in 1923 and are a record of all the fallen from Ireland/Irish regiments. They were published in a tome of a book ( I think Museumtom might have a copy). The record was digitised a few years back and this CD ROM is the result. One unusual feature of the original book was that the borders were decorated by an artist called Harry Clarke. Each page of the original has the entries for about 12 men and the border around them is one of 16 different page designs. You can view a scanned copy of the relevant page.

I'll try to "lift" your man's page.

Regards,

Liam.

Liam, thanks very much for your trouble. My e mail address is glyn.bailey@ntlworld.com or alternatively g.bailey@pindar.com (the latter is my works email address)

Thanks again! :D

Diary extract for April 1917, the 1st Battalion History is available as a reprint and the Regimental museum produced their own book detailing the Battalions first years of the war called 'Angels and Heroes'

Andy, thanks very much for this....and sorry I outbid you!

• 1 month later...

Andy,

Please could you consult your sources to see what the 1st Bn, Royal Irish Fusiliers were doing on 6/7/1915. (and any of your sources for the small chance that my man is actually mentioned.)

In researching all the soldiers named Camp I've just come across someone who I now believe to be my grandfather's cousin. His details as follows:

18647 Pte. Albert Camp 1/Royal Irish Fusiliers

KIA 6/7/1915.

Buried: Artillery Wood Cemetery, Ieper, West Vlaanderen, III. D. 11.

Born and enlisted Southwark, resided Walworth, London.

I've checked SDGW & CWGC.

I was quite surprised that a London soldier was serving in an "Irish" regiment so early in the war, but being no expert on the R.I.F. perhaps you know if this was common in 1915?

Thank you for any help you can provide,

Matthew

• 4 months later...

Hello Andy,

I have just seen your offer!

I have a relative who was with the royal irish fusiliers 6th bn,

Any chance i could have a look at the war diary? my relative was called Thomas rowles, and he was killed in action on 09/08/15

Thanks,

Alison.

Alison,

I have attached the diary extract for the month of August 1915 so you can see what was happening around the time that Thomas died, I have a number of medals in my collection to men that were killed the same day as Thomas and who he would have fought alongside.

I will look through the rest of the diary to see if he is mentioned by name but this is not usually the case with ORs just Officers.

The Battalion received their orders for embarkation to the Dardanelles while based in Basingstoke in July 1915, They set sail on the SS Canada 14th July, arrived Malta 21st July, Alexandria 24th and Mudros Harbour on the 27th.

post-158-1126714339.jpg

• 3 months later...