Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Vision of Britain Through Time

Clive Maier

While fossicking around on the internet, I stumbled upon A Vision of Britain Through Time.

The site will be very useful to anyone who wants to build up a historical picture of a town or village in the course of researching a memorial, regiment or region.

I daresay I am the last to find it, but I mention the site anyway in the hope that it will be useful to Pals.

Clive

Yep - came across this a while ago. It's reasonably useful if you need an overview of an area but it lacks the data detail that a researcher really wants.

I'd still have to go and trawl through loads of stuff at the local heritage library if I needed good info on, say, Stockport's industrial working class at the time of the Great War. Something I keep putting off as it's a daunting task.

John

(PS: "fossicking" - good word!)

John,

It's just a convenient source of information. You can't expect to find your own individual research pre-packed and you would probably be mortified if you did. :o

Fossicking is Strine; I have always liked it.

I know. I know.

It's just that you can get great stuff off the 2001 Census for "now" - it's the tying it back to "then" that's the difficulty.

John