Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Officer Cadet Battalion

IanA

This is a challenge for someone out there - maybe a person local to Gailes? My wife's grandfather served for many years in the Cameronians and when war broke out he was recalled as a reservist. He was an old soldier and he was sent home in 1915 with a glowing testimonial from Captain Jack. (Later, General Jack) He was made acting RSM while the 9th battalion Scottish Rifles was organised and then became RSM of the 9th Officer Cadet Battalion at Gailes where he stayed till February 1919. I've done a fair bit of reading in my time but I have never come across any mention of these officer cadet battalions. If any pal can point me in the right direction or, even better, has info directly relevent to the 9th battalion I would be hugely grateful.

Cheers,

Ian

The mother site will give you a starter.

See: http://www.1914-1918.net/training_officershtm.htm

Also if memory serves me correctly from a previous forum thread Charles Fair one of us PALS had a relative serving itn the 9th.OCB.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Not a lot but, as you say, a start. I had not seen the whole organisation of Cadet Battalions before and had no idea how many there were. Keep reminding me about the mother site!!!

Cheers,

Ian

There is a very useful chapter on 'Officer Selection & Training' in Charles Messenger's superb book Call To Arms: The British Army 1914-18. It gives a useful picture of how OCBs fitted into the wider development of officer training during the war.

10 OCB came up ages ago on this old thread.

Charles

Thanks Charles, the book is now on my shopping list!

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

I have a copy of "Wind Up - A souvenir of Breezy days at Gailes" which belonged to my Great Uncle Charlie, whom I have featured under a separate thread (1st Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Flanders 1918). He was in the 9th OCB. The magazine was published on the 1st November 1917, I think, and when I can get near a flatbed scanner I will try to upload an image. In the magazine are photos of all the cadets, the rugger and football teams, sketches of the instructors, and contemporaneous adverts for uniform and equipment. Please let me know if you require any specific information...

Damian

Hi Damian,

Many thanks for this information. How many pages has this magazine got? I could maybe do with a complete copy!!

My wife's grandfather's name was Herbert Webster and he was R.S.M. of the 9th O.C.B. so one would imagine he would be fairly prominent!

Thanks again for your response.

Ian

68 pages of text and about 35 of advertisements. A quick skim through failed to find a photo of him, but there are sketches and accounts alluding to the "Sahn-Majaw". Give me time, and I will try to scan it in for you... Certainly plenty here to help you along the way!

Charles W Irvine, at Gailes...

post-12665-1149109034.jpg

Damian,

I will be tickled pink to have this. Rather than scan it, have the whole thing copied and, when you are ready, send me a PM and I will send you a cheque to cover costs and my address.

Many thanks,

Ian

In the following letter to Captain Faber, Charlie refers to men in no. 3 platoon and Carver, who had been in Gailes with him.. Major Seymour Clarke had been OC "A" company in Gailes.

36th Div. Sig. School, BEF. July 1st 1918.

Dear Captain Faber, I saw Carver a few days ago, and obtaining your address from him, am now taking advantage of your invitation to write to you. How are you keeping? I hope you are well and avoiding such minor things as bullets, 5.9's and above all trench mortars. Did you stay long in Gailes after the Christmas term? I suppose you did not stay long. Have you met any of no 3 Platoon since? I heard from Carver that Hine and Hobson had dropped in for 'cushy' jobs at Cork. I suppose it is better so as Hine with his bad arm and Hobson with his eyes would not be very much good in a front line trench. When I was coming out I saw Howe and Bellerby. They came with me as far as Rouen. At Harfleur I met Howie and Tony Browne, who was looking fatter than ever if that were possible. Carver told me also that the former had been wounded. Have you heard any details? I hope it’s not too bad. I suppose you heard of Major Clarke’s death? I saw it in 'Truth' or one of those things. I was sorry about it. He was exceedingly popular in the company. We used to look forward to his star gazing nights. So far I've had a jolly good time out here. I joined the 3rd Bn. at Derry on Jan. 20th and after having spent a most enjoyable three months there finally received my orders to report at Southampton on Saturday 20th April. I was not so unfortunate as to come out by myself but came with nine others from Derry and you can guess we had a good time. After trotting round northern France for about a week we finally arrived at the battalion which we found in reserve in the salient. We had quite a decent time. After three tours we were relieved by the Belgians and I can tell you I was glad when we got away. We had lain absolutely low, but as soon as we got about 600 yds away, pop went one of the Belgian Golden Rain lights. Fortunately Jerry did not get suspicious and we got away safely. The last tour promised some excitement as about 1 o clock one morning I got a note to say that an attack was expected early that morning and that the line (an outpost line at that) was to be held at all costs. Fortunately, however nothing came. After being relieved we went quite a good way behind the line and after being there for three or four days I was sent here on a signalling course. So far I have been here three weeks. Another three weeks and then the line again. I am, however, having a great time with, luxury of luxuries, a spring bed with two mattresses and sheets after a long day's hard (sic) work. I think I will close now. Remember me to any of no.3 you may meet. Wishing you the best of luck. I am, Yours sincerely Charles W Irvine

• 1 month later...

Ian,

I've just had another look through my archive and found a letter from my great uncle from hut 37 at Gailes, which gives some idea of the set-up. I have also discovered a training trench map and a leave pass for him to return by train to Liverpool. Not a lot, I know, but it all adds to the story!

Damian.

I live about 5 miles from Gailes, so surely qualify as the "local" !

As far as I know, the camp was a general army training camp, and not just

an OCTU location.

The subject was brought up on the forum about a year ago, as someone had

some photos of a relative that was at Gailes.... Not sure if this is one of

his, but I "pinched" a copy of the image, and re-post it here for you.

For your info. the building they are standing in front of is the Clubhouse

of the nearby Gailes golf course, and is virtually unchanged.

post-1461-1152225000.jpg

• 4 weeks later...