Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did Your Ancestor's Take Part in the Zeebrugge & Ostend Raids

Paul D Kendall

Hi LST_164,

Dominic is right, there is a possibility that Dibben is mentioned in file ADM 116/1656. I was looking at this file last month. There are many names and I was focused on specific individuals whom i am in contact with their relatives. I hope to go back to the Public Records office before Christmas and I will have a look.

In the meantime, we may receive a positive repsonse from the direct family, and hopefully they will havea photo of the man.

I will keep in touch.

Best wishes

Paul

Guest Yorkshire George

Hi Paul

After receiving an old photograph of my father and his brothers in uniform of WW1, I thought I may investigate what he did during WW1. Pls see attached.

What may be of relevance to you is a book he left written by Cecil Asinall-Oglander about Roger Keyes. There are some notes in this book about the Zeebrugge Battle, that appear to have written by Roger Keyes, with reference to "Volunteers" on page 237 and a sentance about the map of Zebrugge which Keyes sent to The London Gazette of the 19th of Feb 1919, from a despatch of 9th of May 1918.

My Dad is the one in Naval uniform. He was born in 1989, George Gladstone Eltherington, in Hull. The photo must have been after the war I think.

The specific thing about the notes and underlining is the relevance to motorboats, L't Dean R.N.V.R., the King's ADC (page 258).

I am just starting with this so, if it helps, maybe you can point me in the right direction to see about my father. He died in 1967 when I was 12.

Thanks

Guest Yorkshire George

Hi Paul.

It's me again with the attachment that I couldn't provide you with earlier. It looks too small for you glean anything from.

Thankspost-15558-1159877092.jpg

Hi George,

Many thanks for your message. I have looked through the report written by Lt Percy Dean VC and the only personnel who served aboard HMML 282 that are mentioned are Lieutenant Keith Wright, CMM Fox and Whitmarsh and Leading Deckhand McKruly (and LS Potter who was evacuated from the blockship HMS Iphigenia and who took the helm when McKruly was killed).

If you would like a copy of the report I can send it to you via email.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul

My step mothers grandfather was Vice Admiral Reginald St Pierre Parry. He was Commander of HMS Whirlwind at Ostend and received the DSO for helping tow HMS Warwick (Keyes flagship) back home.

I will ask her if she has any photos of him. I have done a potted history of him if you are interested, let me know.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I would be very interested to receiving any photos or information relating to Vice Admiral Reginald St Pierre Parry. My email address is paulkendall291@aol.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Andrew,

I would be very interested to receiving any photos or information relating to Vice Admiral Reginald St Pierre Parry. My email address is paulkendall291@aol.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Paul

I will see what my step mother has got. His biog details are on paper, I will scan them in and send to you.

Cheers

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Yorkshire George
Hi George,

Many thanks for your message. I have looked through the report written by Lt Percy Dean VC and the only personnel who served aboard HMML 282 that are mentioned are Lieutenant Keith Wright, CMM Fox and Whitmarsh and Leading Deckhand McKruly (and LS Potter who was evacuated from the blockship HMS Iphigenia and who took the helm when McKruly was killed).

If you would like a copy of the report I can send it to you via email.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul,

I have just come across the enclosed image and note in the "Hanmer War Record", a roll of all the men from the village of Hanmer, Flintshire, who served in the 1WWar.

It states "Deck Hand William Francis, Royal Naval Reserve, HM Motor L 526. Served two and three-quarter years. In Zeebrugge Raid. Awarded DSM "

On close inspection of the photo (image is marred by having been in a damp church till 2001-02) he has a definite "RNVR" (anchor between the middle two letters) cap tally. His ?right arm badge might just be two crossed...guns? torpedoes??...unless it's another patch of image degradation.

A relative, Acting Leading Seaman Fred Francis, has his photo on the opposite page, in rather similar rig but with a HMS Pembroke tally, and hewas in the RNVR for 3 years; so I wonder if there was a mix-up in the pictures?? Neither man is wearing a medal ribbon.

Any observations or information welcomed, as I can then amend the printed version of the "Record".

Cheers,

LST_164

post-12434-1162673216.jpg

Dear LST_164

Many thanks for sharing the image with the forum. I have not so far come across any photo of Deck Hand William Francis, so I cannot confirm from my archives if this is the man.

The photo may have been taken before the Zeebrugge and Ostend raids, which might explain why he is not wearing any decorations.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul,

many thanks for your response.

Is there any indication in rolls etc. that a DH William Francis RNR was present during the Zeebrugge Raid on ML526, or that he gained a DSM for that event?

Regards,

LST_164

LST_164

Deckhand William Francis RNR with service number 13899 DA is listed in the awards list has being awarded the DSM for the Zeebrugge Raid on 23rd April 1918. He was assigned to one of the Picket boats, Motor Launches and Motor Boats that took part in the operation, which is positive.

Please let me know if you make any further progress proving that the man in the photo is our Zeebrugge hero.

Kind regards

Paul

LST_164

Deckhand William Francis RNR with service number 13899 DA is listed in the awards list has being awarded the DSM for the Zeebrugge Raid on 23rd April 1918. He was assigned to one of the Picket boats, Motor Launches and Motor Boats that took part in the operation, which is positive.

Please let me know if you make any further progress proving that the man in the photo is our Zeebrugge hero.

Kind regards

Paul

Thanks again, Paul. I'll do that - & maybe at the same time check out his brother as well, in case we can confirm / eliminate by that route. I'll also see if any family have survived in the locality.

LST_164

Mate,

For interest I posted some time ago about an aussie officer serving with the RNVR in the Dover Patrol.

It apears he has no Zeebrugge conection but in case you have any new info;

check search

John Noble Shipton

Cheers

S.B

Paul, Dom & anyone else with an interest -

For comparison, I have now posted both pictures of the Francis ?brothers on a thread I started yesterday under this part of the Forum, entitled "RNR/RNVR cap tallies & uniforms".

Any further observations welcomed.

LST_164

Paul,

I have actually managed to discover & contact the immediate family of Deckhand William Francis DSM RNR and shown the images to them. They had a big contemporary portrait photo of the original & genuine sailor to help them, not to mention their memories of the man. With just a little hesitation, they identified the man in the first photo (with the RNVR cap tally) as our DSM winner, as stated in the "Hanmer War Record". With just a little bit more hesitation than they, I concur, despite what appears to be the totally incorrect cap info. The other sailor is definitely his brother Fred.

William Francis was without doubt on HM ML 526 at Zeebrugge/Ostend. After the war he returned to his home area and married a girl from the parish of Whitewell, just a couple of miles away and right on the Border with Cheshire/Shropshire.

Here the Zeebrugge connection carried on; because Iscoyd Park (large house & estate) in the same parish was the home of another hero of the Zeebrugge & Ostend Raids, namely Commander A.E.Godsal, RN, (HMS Brilliant at the former, and killed on HMS Vindictive in the latter). The Godsal family seem to have provided the former seaman with a home nearby and other kindnesses over the years. William Francis died aged 91 and is apparently buried at St.Mary's Parish Church, Whitewell.

The Church contains memorials to Cdr. Godsal and also to yet another local hero, Capt. Bernard Warburton-Lee VC of HMS Hardy (Narvik 1940) fame. Given that it's miles from the sea and just a little church set in Welsh Border rural isolation, Whitewell seems not to be doing too badly for Naval heroes!!!

Hope this may be of interest,

LST_164

Dear LST_164

You have done an excellent piece of research, well done. I may get the opportunity to visit the PRO before Christmas and will look for William Francis service record.

Do you know William's middle name and birth date?

Kind regards

Paul

Microfilm copies of William Francis' service cards will be in BT 377/7 at Kew, they are filed in service number order.

Per ardua,

thank you for your help once again & reminding me which RNR categories are at Kew - given my basic interest in Anglesey WW1 I'd love to spend time there checking them and the other (fairly numerous) RN, RNVR, RMLI, RMA, and MN casualties. Holyhead in particular has lots of maritime casualties, mainly on 4 specific local vessels - HMHS ANGLIA, RMS LEINSTER, SS CONNEMARA, HMS TARA; but there are 23 RNR losses from this one town alone, so I'd better book a fortnight off!!

Paul,

I gather that William Francis was probably his full name: but as regards this & his date of birth I will be going to Whitewell in a few days time and will see what the gravestone says (if I can find it - family did give me directions).

Thank you very much for your kind offer to look him up: I can't remember the last time I visited Kew - probably Spring 1982!!! His family are hunting for any memorabilia, so I may have more to report in due course.

Cheers, pals

LST_164

DID YOUR ANCESTOR'S TAKE PART IN THE ZEEBRUGGE RAID (23RD APRIL 1918) OR OSTEND RAIDS (23RD APRIL & 10th MAY 1918)?

If yes please could you contact me. I am interested in personnel from all the services that took part, the Royal Navy, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserves, Royal Naval Air Service, Royal Australian Navy, Royal Marines Light Infantry and Royal Marines Artillery.

I have been researching the Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids with the intention of publishing a book. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who is related to individuals who took part in these operations in 1918 who could provide information or a photo. I am happy to help families with their research if their ancestors took part in the Zeebrugge Raid (23rd Apil 1918) or the Ostend Raids (23rd April and 10th May 1918).

If you can help or need help to research your relative relating to the above mentioned operations please contact me at:

Paulkendall291@aol.com

I look forward to your response.

Paul

Paul, have details of 195 Officers Recommendations / Honours / Awards Zeebrugge raid. You probably have these - but `in case'. R's DAF

Many thanks, I do have a copy.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul, have details of 195 Officers Recommendations / Honours / Awards Zeebrugge raid. You probably have these - but `in case'. R's DAF

LST_164

i have looked through my extensive Zeebrugge files and I do have a copy of the post operation Zeebrugge raid report for ML 526. written by its CO, Lieutenant Hugh Littleton. I also have Littleton's DSO and William Francis DSM citatiion from the London Gazette.

If William Francis family would like a copy they are very welcome to email me at the following email address and I can send it to them:

paulkendall291@aol.com

If the family of William Francis would like me to include him in my book, I would be happy to do so to pay tribute to him and the men of ML 526 who took part in the Zeebrugge Raid.

Lieutenant Littleton and Deckhand William Francis rescued approximatly 60 men from the blockships HMS Thetis and HMS Iphigenia.

Kind regards

Paul