Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Brothers captured the same day.

Ralph J. Whitehead

There was a recent thread where the death of 2 or more brothers on the same day during the war was discussed. I came across a related item while doing some research. In this case it is a pair of brothers who were captured on the same day, quite a lucky pair in my opinion.

The two brothers were Heinrich and Fran Brüggemann, from Blaardingen, Southern Holland. The brothers were both in 11th Coy, 99th Reserve Regiment and were defending the Schwaben Redoubt when they were captured on 1 July 1916. Considering the intensity of the fighting on this day at the redoubt it is even more amazing that they survived at all.

Has anyone else come across a similar incident?

Ralph

My Great Uncles were captured about a fortnight apart, both served with the Wiltshire Regt and were pre war regs.

One was captured in late Sept '14 and the other in Oct '14. I believe they were repatriated at Hull with one arriving in time for Xmas 1918 and the other just into the New Year.

Tim

The two brothers were Heinrich and Fran Brüggemann, from Blaardingen, Southern Holland. The brothers were both in 11th Coy, 99th Reserve Regiment and were defending the Schwaben Redoubt when they were captured on 1 July 1916.
slightly off topic Ralph but do you know what a couple of Dutch brothers were doing in the German Army?

Will

Not a clue Will, All I can assume is that they were either Germans living in Holland or just sympathized with Germany in the war. Just today I found 5 more Americans serving in various regiments including one from New York. There was also one German soldier listed as being born in London, another in Antwerp, Belgium and so on.

Ralph