Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chemico Body Shield

Guest Dave_Kent

Guest Dave_Kent

Hello:

I came across a reference to the Chemico Body Shield. Some form of "bullet-proof" jacket made of kapok, which was available to the British. The writer had 2 concerns, its cost and whether it actually worked.

Can anyone give me more information on this item, maybe a picture? I found little through Google. How expensive was it, relative to the times? How well did it work? Are any known to have been used in the RFC / RNAS / RAF? Were similar items available to the French, Germans etc. ?

Thanks

Dave

Dave - Welcome to the Forum :)

You have asked the same question as I was planning to ask! I look forward to one, or more, of the Pals giving us a definitive answer on this one!

Hi

Capock is a little like cotton ,ie it is the material that surrounds a seed.It is of tropical origin I think.It used to be used extensively as a filler for matresses.It was also used as an insulator things like anoracks for expiditions to the artic or ant artic.I would have thought it would have some stopping power,but I would not want to try it.The best old material would have been very closely woven silk.This may help a bit even if it doesnot answer the question properly.

JOHN :D

Was this the 'bullet-proof vest' endorsed by Conan Doyle? I heard a mention of this on a radio programme a few years ago. I believe it was manufactured in Nottingham (an offshoot of bicycle manufacturing). I put a posting about it on a predecessor to this forum but didn't get much of a response.

According to Phoenix Command Body Armor, the Chemico Body Shield dated from 1917. The site describes it as, "A commercial model body armor that was sold for use in the trenches of World War I. It was a vest-type jacket with groin protector, made from fabric bonded together with resin." Given the date, that would almost certainly have been a phenolic resin.

However, a brief reference on the pages of Art New Zealand refers to a "First World War bullet-proof jacket - made of kapok. The bullet-proof jacket, aka the Chemico Body Shield, was an optional extra that well-heeled infantrymen could purchase to supplement their standard issue chainmail vest. Unspoken is the text that only the wealthy need apply."

The Chemico Body Shield was one of two types of soft body armor used by the British . The other being the silk necklet. The Body shield was manufactured by the County Chemical Company of Birmingham. The armor is a heavily padded waistcoat weighing six pounds. A test conducted by Bashford Dean in Washington DC. demonstrated it was capable of stopping an automatic pistol ball (9mm?), jacketed in alloy, at a velocity of 300 foot seconds. The padding is about an inch thick and is composed of many layers of tissue, scraps of linen, cotton and silk, said to be hardened by a resinous material; is covered with brown muslin. The Chemico Body Shield only saw extremely limited service. Its cost was around £4.

Joe Sweeney

I believe I saw a German 'armoured vest' in the Historiale at Peronne earlier this year. Sorry my memory is not what it was but I'm fairly certain it was made of toughened leather. The design looked very similar to the British one pictured; but I seem to remember that it was designed more for sentry duty than for troops going over the top.

Garth

Guest Dave_Kent

Hello:

Yes, Thank you to all who replied. My main interest is in FWW aviation and I normally post on The Aerodrome as I did with this item. A member there suggested that the 1914-1918 Forum might be helpful with this particular request. He was obviously right.

The year 1917 is interesting. My source is WINGS OVER THE SOMME, Lewis, specifically a letter written by Lewis to his father on 25 Sept. 1916. The discussion of the Chemico Body Shield is a reply to his father's offer to buy the item and send it out for his use.

Thanks again

Dave

I can recommend the books by Anthony Saunders on "Dominating the Enemy: War in the Trenches 1914-18" at Amazon UK and his other on Weapons of the Trench War.

The former talks a lot on the various body shields, vests, armour, etc that were proposed, some accepted and produced and some even used by the troops ....

Edward

• 10 years later...

Well, this is a very old thread but I have an answer of sorts and this seems to be the best place to post this advert from the Keighley News dated 7th July 1917:

post-9980-0-89920700-1401820113_thumb.jp

In another edition of the newspaper somewhere, there's another version of this advert with an endorsement from a soldier who says it saved his life. But for the life of me I can't find it now. If I do come across it again I'll post it here.

And here's the Chemico Body Shield advert with a personal endorsement by letter to his father, from C. Feather who says it saved his life:

post-9980-0-35843300-1402219561_thumb.jp

There is at least one Charles Feather from Keighley who served in the war, I'm currently researching him. Will post here if anything related to the Chemico body shield comes up.

What I have found is that Private Charles Feather was a Northumberland Fusilier and the man in the picture looks to have a Fusiliers badge on his cap. Is it possible that the man pictured is Charles Feather? Not sure how easily they would have been able to arrange this picture to be honest, but it's quite a coincidence if its not him.

It's a bit like a patent parachute, you're only going to get testimonials from those for whom it worked (no matter how few) and not going to hear from those for whom it didn't (except possibly in the letters page of Popular Medium)

Indeed. I'm not commenting on the effectiveness of the body shield though, merely that it existed and was on sale (with the price) as requested by the first poster in this thread. I don't doubt that the advert would 'big it up' as it was in their vested interest to make it sound good, especially if they could claim that it had actually saved a life.

Also, posting it on here also means that a Google search will pick it up and you never know, somebody somewhere may actually have one without realising what it is. I would love to see one for myself or even a picture of one.

The Bolton Evening News started to advertise the Chemico Body Shield in 1917. Same picture as in post 14 by Andy (but from a retailer in Bolton).

Brian

• 3 years later...

Came across this thread and thought I'd show everyone my "replica" Chemico Body Shield. As I didn't have an original to hand it's obviously not and exact copy.

GWS Pembrey 2018.jpg

• 5 years later...

Clearly a product of some discussion

Hansard record ...

BODY ARMOUR.

HC Deb 28 May 1918 vol 106 cc649-50650
§Mr. LESLIE SCOTT 

asked the Undersecretary of State for War whether he is aware that the Chemico body-shield when worn by soldiers has successfully resisted both bullets and shrapnel and already saved many lives which otherwise would certainly have been lost; whether, if it were included in the Regulation outfit of officers and men, a very large number of casualties would be avoided; and whether the Government will therefore take steps to have it put into universal and immediate use?

§Mr. MACPHERSON 

Other forms of body armour have been found more satisfactory, and have consequently been issued in preference to the Chemico body-shield. 

[Interesting to note he does not elaborate on more satisfactory products]

M

On 03/10/2003 at 15:59, Clive Maier said:

According to Phoenix Command Body Armor, the Chemico Body Shield dated from 1917. The site describes it as, "A commercial model body armor that was sold for use in the trenches of World War I. It was a vest-type jacket with groin protector, made from fabric bonded together with resin." Given the date, that would almost certainly have been a phenolic resin.

However, a brief reference on the pages of Art New Zealand refers to a "First World War bullet-proof jacket - made of kapok. The bullet-proof jacket, aka the Chemico Body Shield, was an optional extra that well-heeled infantrymen could purchase to supplement their standard issue chainmail vest. Unspoken is the text that only the wealthy need apply."

“……standard issue chain mail vest.”

WHAT?

I know that tankers used a chain-mail visor attached to the front brim of the helmet to protect their face/eyes from metal splinters.

Regards,

JMB

Below is a useful book on the development of helmets and body armour during the Great War. It details several patterns of body armour that received  large scale trials by the BEF during the war

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/metpublications/Helmets_and_Body_Armor_in_Modern_Warfare

by Bashford Dean, Curator of Arms & Armour in the 1920's.

Chase,

Yes, I have had that book for quite a while, but don’t remember anything about chain-mail vests.

Will have to dig it out over the weekend and browse again.

Regards,

JMB

11 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

to supplement their standard issue chainmail vest

That bit had me scratching my head too.  "Standard issue" ???  Just how many soldiers got them?  Puzzling.

M

7 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

anything about chain-mail vests

There is nothing about chainmail vests. I have not read my copy for several years but am quite sure of that. There are the multi-layer silk collars that will stop a pistol bullet and the Dayfield body armour. These are the only two I remember in the book as being issued as trials in large quantities. The Dayfield is on page 117-120. Deane states that 20,000 sets total of the light and heavy versions were trialled. The light version was unsuccessful. The US Army trialled the lightweight version in 1918 in France, at 25m it would stop .45acp pistol rounds but the .30cal rifle went through at 200 yards.

image.png.2fa11d69f064d3d8e403935115fae1d1.png

On 26/09/2023 at 05:47, Matlock1418 said:

Other forms of body armour have been found more satisfactory, and have consequently been issued in preference to the Chemico body-shield. 

See above.

Still 20,000 sets to 60 infantry division is still a relatively small scale of issue.

They only widespread use of chain mail I am familiar with is chain mail visors to protect the eyes, with tank crewmen's face masks and the variation of the Brodie helmet with the "Cruise" chain mail visor after Dr Capt Richard Cruise RAMC. About 113,000 of the latter were issued.

image.png.48cb9d01b337f5eba328d868d0d972d9.png