Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Civilians

Guest Hill 60

I have come across an entry in the 1st Bn Royal Berkshire Regt's war diary, dated Saturday 14 August 1915 which finishes with the following lines: Col Robinson 1st Divisional Staff brought two civilians round our line at 2.30pm. They did not seem over brave, and only wanted a "souvenir".

This was a front-line trench, there is also reference to one officer being injured by pieces of metal from a trench periscope when it was hit by a sniper's bullet.

My question is this; was it common for civilians to be given tours of the trenches, and front-line trenches in particular?

Edited by Lee

According to Westlake's British Battalions in France and Belgium 1914, the 1st R. Berks. arrived at Rouen on the 13th August, and on the 15th entrained there for Wassigny. They went up to Landrecies on the 21st.

This is a very puzzing entry Lee. 'Line' would not equate to the deep trenches familiar later on, but to a hastily dug defence, if that.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Lee,

Speaking from my past job, I believe that on occasions civilians working for the then War Office did visit the trenches. However I was under the impression that they only visited trenches in the rear rather than the front line. Its a shame that the diary does not indicate whether they were htere in an official capacity or just merely old chums of the officer concerned.

Ian

Kate - I made a typo, SORRY!! I have changed the date in question from 1914 to 1915, I am Muppet!

According to the diary they arrived in France on 13 August 1914. They advanced through Belgium and recieved shell-fire between 21-23 August.

The first entry concerning casualties was on Wednesday 26th August 1914:

Troops delayed entering billets owing to a false alarm that the Germans were entering the Town - "C" Company was despatched to take over Bridge over R SARNE from cavalry at end of Town. At 8pm battalion was ordered to march out and assist this company to take the bridge from which the cavalry had been driven. Bridge taken about 1.30am after a night attack by C, D and B Coys. 1/KRR relieved the Battalion and 6th Brigade marched out at 3am.

Arrived at VENEROLLES at 7.30pm and bivouaced on hill south of village along WASSIGNY road.

Casualties. Major AS Turner, Capt H Shott missing.

Lt. VS Hopkins slightly wounded.

61 other ranks killed, wounded or missing.

By the time the civilians visited the trenches they Battalion had lost their Lt-Col through shell-fire.

January 1916.

Talking of shows, who remembers the munition workers who visited us about this time to see what we wanted shells for?

Some of them were conducted into the front-line trench by the Brigade Staff, and everything was done to give them a good show. A stolid north-countryman, invited to look at the German line through a trench periscope, was startled to have the top of the mirror shot away while he was peeping. He returned to England much impressed, and the Brigade Staff were very interested in his vivid description of this periscope incident in a local paper. And one of our fellows stationed with a rifle a few bays away, with orders to shoot away the top of the periscope as soon as it appeared, was quite proud to find himself described in print as a German sniper of uncanny skill.

Pg 25. The 54th Infantry Brigade 1914-1918. Anon. Gale and Polden. 1921.

Gen. Congreve took at least on one occasion his 12 yera old for a tour around the fronline:

"The Congreve's over the centuries have played an important role in the British (Military) history, and this generation would uphold that family tradition. It's thought that Billy's youngest brother, Christopher John, was the youngest British person to visit the frontline. The visit was with his father in 1915 when Christopher was 12 years old. He came in for the odd shell and small arms fire and intrigued the soldiery in his Boy Scout uniform. On coming around a traverse a soldier exclaimed: "Blimey, Bill - 'ere's a bleedin' Boy Scaht!"

Regards,

Marco