Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MARY the war horse

Ken Devitt

Hi all,

This memorial to Mary is erected above her grave at McKee Barracks, formerly Marlborough Barracks, Dublin. The horse obviously meant a great deal to the men of the regiment and I was wondering if this was tradition amongst cavalry regiments.

Regards,

Ken

post-7874-1147012163.jpg

Coincidentally, the nickname of 5 Dragoon Guards was The Virgin Mary`s Bodyguard! Might mean that, with that name, she wasn`t an ordinary troop horse? Phil B

Not quite the same but this may be of interest to you. The location is Lackham House, Lacock, Wilts.

Dave

I have an inkwell made from the hoof of a loving pony called fluffy who evidently died tragically aged 34 in 1930... memorials take strange forms

Mick

A lovely memorial. Incidentally she would have been at least 16/17 when she died which must have been a fair age for a calvary horse of the era.

Ali

And a much-travelled horse too. She must have spent at least a year of her life at sea.

I have an inkwell made from the hoof of a loving pony called fluffy who evidently died tragically aged 34 in 1930... memorials take strange forms

Mick

Sure do Mick!

My hoof was Winnifred, but she wasn't an inkwell, she was an Atwell. And what a piano player. I think she was about 60 when she died.

Always tongue in cheek,

Ken

isnt there a grave on gallipoli to a horse called BILL,he survived the campaign and stayed on to help the CWGC with their work,he died in 1923,he has a CWGC headstone,bernard

Thanks Sherree.

Does any Irish members know the story of Mary?

Bernard, it would not suprise me. Bean mentions riding horses in his book Gallipoli Mission, when they went back in 1919. Thanks for bringing it up.

Cheers

Kim

theres a picture of bills grave in holts battlefield guide to gallipoli,bernard

Kim,

I would also be interested in Marys story. I have tried googling it to no avail.

Have found this site that gives the history of the Waler and 16,000 served during 1899 and 1902. During the First World War 160,000 Australian Horses were used which shows how verstile the breed is.

Ali

• spof changed the title to MARY the war horse