Guest geoff501

Guest geoff501

Name: KANDOUROW, PIOT

Initials: P

Nationality: Russian

Regiment: Russian Army

Date of Death: 05/05/1917

Casuality Type: Foreign National

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 6 Grave 57.

Cemetery: HAUTMONT COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Rest in peace.

Guest geoff501
спать хорошо солдат

My Russian is not so hot, actually zero. I presume this is Raising a Glass or Rest In Peace.

Thanks,

Geoff

Hello

My Russian language ability is all from Bond films..."death to spies" etc etc isnt that useful a phrase, wheres the toilet might be more use :lol:

Ian

My Russian is not so hot, actually zero. I presume this is Raising a Glass or Rest In Peace.

Thanks,

Geoff

Literal translation is sleep well soldier

Guest geoff501
My Russian language ability is all from Bond films..."death to spies" etc etc isnt that useful a phrase, wheres the toilet might be more use :lol:

The translation of 'zwei bier' into any other language is probably a priority. More usefull than 'My hovercraft is full of eels'.

On a more serious note, Hautmont Cemetery has several Russian burials. As the village was behind German lines from early in the war, I presume they were PoWs, but can anyone confirm?

John

On a more serious note, Hautmont Cemetery has several Russian burials. As the village was behind German lines from early in the war, I presume they were PoWs, but can anyone confirm?

John

John

The info on the CWGC site regarding Hautmont Cemetery states -

'The communal cemetery was used by the German troops for the burial of their dead, and the Allied prisoners who died in the local German hospitals were buried there by the authorities of the town'.

I think this pretty much guarantees that Piot was a German POW when he died.

'The communal cemetery was used by the German troops for the burial of their dead, and the Allied prisoners who died in the local German hospitals were buried there by the authorities of the town'.

But was he a member of the Russian Expeditionary Force (fighting with the French), or did the Germans actually move Russian POWs from the Eastern Front all the way across Europe to a POW camp in France?

Guest geoff501
John

The info on the CWGC site regarding Hautmont Cemetery states -

Of the 156 foreign nationals burials in Hautmont, 100 are of the Russian army. The dates of death all seem to be 1917-1918, so presumably these are the POWs. The 100 burials is probably a high percentage of Russian burials in CWGCs care. About 20 of the Russian burials here are in two mass graves, with various dates of death through 1918.

Will

Yes - I'd seen the CWGC info. Perhaps I worded my post badly - the intent of my question was the same as Broz's.

John

Will

Yes - I'd seen the CWGC info. Perhaps I worded my post badly - the intent of my question was the same as Broz's.

John

Ah.........in that case, I don't know :(