The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

oblique photos of the western front

cosmic

does anybody have any advice on where to find oblique photographs of the western front ? particularly of the Somme and Ypres Salient 1915-1917

Cvilla,

There's an excellent book with 2 CD Roms with panoramas taken by the RE for intel purposes, which has been released by the IWM - the book is 'The Battlefields of the First World War: The Unseen Panoramas of the Western Front' - Peter Barton 2005.

It has lots of panoramas around Ypres (can't recall how many from memory, but I had a relative killed at Messines, and there were 3 from there at various stages of the War).

An excellent read, but it's around £50

Good luck

John

'Battlefields Of The First World War'

Check out:

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1146856437.jpg

The above is highly recommended. Companion volumes are also to be released in the future. The first will be 'The Somme' I believe and I am told by the author that it should be released c. October.

thanks for the information on the book

I do already have this (and what an excellent book this is - well done Peter Barton - 10/10)

I was thinking more along the lines of aerial oblique photographs taken from aeroplanes - not ground based panoramas ?

many thanks in advance for all your help

cvilla

Have you seen The Western Front From the Air by Nicholas C. Watkis? It deals specifically with aerial photography and has numerous oblique photos for Neuve Chapelle, Loos, La Boisselle, Flers, Vimy Ridge, Cambrai and Amiens. The source of the photos is listed. I don't have the book with me at the moment, so can't give you any more details.

Good hunting

Chris

thanks for the info ceebee - the photos are very interesting

i guess that the only place to find these sort of photos is on a trip to the IWM or Tank Museum - a book with these sort of shots would help in understanding the First World War Battlefields (when combined with Peters book) a little more.

can't wait for his next publication on the Somme in October

thanks for the info ceebee - the photos are very interesting

i guess that the only place to find these sort of photos is on a trip to the IWM or Tank Museum - a book with these sort of shots would help in understanding the First World War Battlefields (when combined with Peters book) a little more.

can't wait for his next publication on the Somme in October

I would suggest that if you are looking for aerials and obliques that you visit the photographic department at the IWM - you'll find plenty there! I have been researching at the IWM and Tank Museum recently and can confirm that the IWM is a MUCH better bet for this kind of thing. Then again, the Tank Museum has some wonderful stuff in their archives and is well worth a visit, just not for aerials. Also, it is a pity that it costs £10 to visit the TM archive - they are a charity and need the money. The IWM is free (although they always welcome donations).

Cheers