Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reinforcemnents

jim_davies

Come across references to "Reinforcements" while looking at the service records for a couple of lads who served with the Australian Forces.

In one example the lad's attestation form shows the "4th Reinforcements, 4th Battalion" (for a early 1915 volunteer), and later in 1918, "8th Reinforcements, 34th Battalion".

Would the term "reinforcement" equate to a graduating class, as the lad seems to have enlisted in the reinforcement and remained with them until he joined the actual battalion in Gallipoli.

Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Jim

Hi Jim

I believe that when they enlisted they did their initial training at home and were then assigned from a depot to a reinforcement group that would be sent to a certain battalion.

I have about 4 Fremantle men among those I'm researching that died of illness while at the training depot and were never assigned to reinforcement groups.

Once they were assigned to a reinforcement group, they would have undertaken more training locally before being sent overseas to Egypt or later England for further training and then all being well, would have been sent to their unit in the field.

I believe most of the original battalions that served on Gallipoli had about 27 reinforcement groups sent to them through the war.

Cheers

Andrew

G'day Jim

Have a look at www.unsw.adfa.edu.au

"Search" for Infantry and you should get the url ending with mallett/Infantry.html

At the bottom of a very long page are listed all re-inforcements.

Your men embarked from Sydney : 4/4th 17/3/1915 HMAT Shropshire

8/34th 16/7/1917 HMAT Port Melbourne

Have fun

Pat

Cheers, Andrew & Paddy,

Your info is much appreciated.

Andrew-what you say makes sense. I think it must have postively affected morale, having trained and served with blokes that you had trained with.

Paddy-great website thanks, added it to my favorites.

The lads in question (if you're interested) are Pte Percy Sheffield and Pte Ernest Littledike (served as Ernest Lincoln), sadly both were killed in action during 1918, and neither has a known grave.

Percy attested 12 Jan 1915 , at Liverpool, NSW. He's the 4th/4th lad. Landed Gallipoli 31 May 1915. Appears to have sufferred quite badly from ill health and was evacuated from the penisular twice. Back with the battalion in mid 1916, Percy was declared unfit for further service (1/4 disabled) and shipped by the Australia, with final discharge that November 1916. He enlisted again in June 1917, and went to Europe with the 8th Reinforcements to the 34th Battalion. Remained in England for about 6 months, before landing in France early Feb 1918. Joined the battalion on the 12th and sadly KIA by a "whizz bang" explosion exactly two months later.

Second lad, Ernest Littledike. Attested Herburton, Queensland, 11 Jan 1915. On his attestation papers, it has "unalloted light horse" crossed out, replaced with "26th battalion infantry". Can't find when he left Australia, but he landed Gallipoli, 12 Sep 1915, so likely either original member or 1st Reinforcements. Evaucated to Malta due to jaundice in mid November. Rejoined batt in Eqypt, then to France. Ernest was KIA at Pozieres, during the night of 28/29 July.

Both lads are remembered on Alls Saints Church War Memorial, Stamford, Lincolshire, and in the town's roll of honour. Ernest is also commemorated on his father's gravestone.

All the best,

Jim

Hi Jim

Interested to see that Percy Sheffield was killed near the beginning of April. My Great Great Uncle was also serving with the 34th Bn and was seriously wounded just about this time, also by shellfire.

Cheers

Andrew